Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving pups with mum for longer

• 25-04-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi all , we got a golden retriever when he was 15 weeks old and i am convinced this extra time with his mother has really helped his behaviour .He is 6 months now and only chews what he is allowed chew .I can leave my shoes near him over night and they wont be touched.He toilet trained within two weeks and is a very wise and clever dog .Is being left with mum for longer the reason or did we just get a dog with great genetics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I'd say you are lucky with your dogs personality. My dog was 14 weeks when we got her and she is very nervous and anxious. She had really bad separation anxiety for the first 9 months. The vet reckon it is a combination of her personality and being with her mother too long. Guess it depends on the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There would a lot more happier pets if they were left with their mams for longer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Well it is an interesting question. I had a dog at 8 weeks 15 years ago and he was very well behaved and didnt cause too much trouble in the house. whereas the other dog (again 8 weeks with similar mixed breed) - it took us a lot of time to have him toilet and bedtime trained so like other poster said -it depends on the dog.
    This could be an interesting subject to do the research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We got our GR at 6 weeks and he was/is pretty much the same as the OPs dog - didn't really chew anything except his little puppy nylabones, was housetrained in a few weeks and he's easy to train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i got 1 pup at 5 weeks and he chewed everyting. still chews my runners 2 pieces 2 yrs later. other pup i got at 12 weeks. she chewed the exact same things but a 6 months she stopped and still has not chewed a single thing since 3 yrs old now she is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

It could be just that GR are bred to have a very soft mouth and not to chew so that they don't bruised the quarry they retrieve for the rifle men.

Advertisement