Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disruptive Neighbours

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Has nobody on this thread ever heard of a public service called An Garda Siochana?

Who can do nothing in this situation. If the party was on right now, they could call round and ask people to shut up, but cannot enforce it. Now taht the party was last week, what could they do?

I would go through the mgmt company OP, and if you wanted to be less confrontational suggest they send a letter to all saying 'for all new tenants, please be aware of the noise regulations, there have been some reports of excessive noise lately and please note that any confirmed future incidents will result in <some punishment>' so it's not as targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Has nobody on this thread ever heard of a public service called An Garda Siochana?

The guards won't do anything, they will only do something if there is a fight outside, indoors and they won't touch it. The guards can only ask them to turn the noise down (if they show up at all) and they have no powers of enforcement at all. :(

I have been down this road before and Captain Morgan, you have my sympathies, if this does occur again, contact your management company, make a recording of the noise (every time it happens).

Are you renting? Are they renting? look up on the PRTB website for their apartment address and if it is listed, write a letter to them and ask them for the landlord's details. Once you have them, go and see him/her face to face. If you are renting, involve your landlord.

Be prepared to take it as far as you can, I did and got the people evicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Captain Morgan what did you decide to do in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi, has anyone here ever had to issue court proceedings against a neighbor who is owner occupier with a tenant, but may not be declaring the "rent" with revenue and has most likely not applied for the 'rent a room' scheme and is not required to register with the PRTB?(that is if it is a valid rent a room scheme).

I ask this b/c we are having difficulty with a neighbor whereby not only the owner occupier is causing the problems, but so is the tenant. The situation has gotten so bad that the managing agent, the building security and the Garda are now involved.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

D3PO wrote: »
    exactly they know nothing about them so why not give them the benefit of the doubt ? Considering it was a bank holiday weekend and many persons have housewarming parties why not appraise the situation.

Fair enough if it was a Tuesday night or something but thats not the case. Its perfectly reasonable to have an expectation that it is a one off.

Now fair enough if next weekend the same thing happens then act on it, but surely its better not to get into a confrontation with a new neighbour regardless of how cordial the conversation is from the outset.

Sorry but b****x I've been living in an apartment for 7 years now and let me tell you it is absolute misery, I am at the moment awake cos my neighbour thinks it's ok to come home and cause mayhem at whatever hour he likes.. this has been the case from next door, down below, above us... the apartments are usually let on a yearly basis and generally the tenants move on, but that year is misery, I cringe for the day that my neighbour next door moves out as they are decent enough, never really much noise, but previous tenants have been a nightmare.

OP definately nip it in the bud, we had it so bad at one time from next door, the letting agents had an out of hours emergency number on their website, I took to phoning them at whatever time I had been awake at, allowing them to see the time that I was awake and also the level of noise, have to say pretty sharpish the tenent was out.

I ALWAYS complain if I hear noise, if you wanna have a party rent a function suite, an apartment is a shared building so why should anyone feel that they have the right to keep everyone up, it's selfish and rude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

athtrasna wrote: »
    You have hit one nail on the head there anyway...living in an apartment is totally different to living in a house, which is why I was giving the new tenants the benefit of the doubt, they may not know. I've been in apartments where you could hear the neighbours talking at normal volume not to mind shouting with music blaring, I've been in others that are better insulated for noise. In the OP's block it's clear that noise carries.

But if nobody tells them they still won't know and I'm not a believer in doing that stuff face to face until you know who you're dealing with. The management agent is the one to do a letter with a reminder of the rules.

It's not a lynch mob mentality - we're not saying get the neighbours evicted, it's about letting them know that they caused a significant disturbance. How they behave after that will determine future reactions but they could well be under the impression that it disturbed nobody and so it's grand to party in such a way.

I totally agree with what you are saying, except the highlighted bit, I live in a house and have put up with years of varying types of hassle from tenants next door to me. In fact there are loads of rented houses on my road but mine seem to be among/if not the worst. I've even written a post about it last night. I guess in apartments its possible to be worse in that people could be on different floors and there are more people in close proximity to each other, but also there is the potential (hopefully) that a management company can do some of the hard work on your behalf too.
    Its completely unfair/inconsiderate for a person to announce themselves that way, I'd prefer it wasnt the way but I think the best approach is to nip it in the bud, Id approach the Management company, if you are lucky they are proactive (hate that word) and send out either a general message regarding noise, but maybe its fairer to send out a specific message, as it doesnt target potential new renters that have done nothing. In reality its a record but can they do anything.
    I think the local authority can be approached as there is legislation regarding anti social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Merch wrote: »
    I totally agree with what you are saying, except the highlighted bit, I live in a house and have put up with years of varying types of hassle from tenants next door to me. In fact there are loads of rented houses on my road but mine seem to be among/if not the worst. I've even written a post about it last night. I guess in apartments its possible to be worse in that people could be on different floors and there are more people in close proximity to each other, but also there is the potential (hopefully) that a management company can do some of the hard work on your behalf too.

You also hit the nail on the head. Worst case scenario in a house is mid terrace, house either side. In an apartment you can have apartments either side, above and below, and that's not even including courtyard echoes, sound and vibrations through the building, common stairwells...this is what I was referring to. Also there tends to be better (even slightly) noise insulation between houses than apartments.

Doesn't mean I don't sympathise with you, nuisance neighbours are a pain whatever your dwelling. If your issue is with tenants you can take a case through the PRTB against the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Check the Residential Tennancies Act 2004 .... You have rights :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Check the Residential Tennancies Act 2004 .... You have rights :)

But how do you enforce those rights, do they actually have the power to evict? or force people to be evicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

i think you have to bring your case to thr prtb first and when they make a ruling then you can bring ruling and facts to court.

Give the prtb a call ... im sure they will fill you in :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement