Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying slabs

Options
  • 25-04-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if I could pick someones brains about this. I'm laying a patio and I just want to know if I can lay the slabs onto the pea gravel in the yard or do I have to dig it out and put in maintainance? The gravel is about 6 inches deep and the area is 11' by 14'. I'm really stuck here because everyone keeps telling me different ways to do it. HELP! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wondering if I could pick someones brains about this. I'm laying a patio and I just want to know if I can lay the slabs onto the pea gravel in the yard or do I have to dig it out and put in maintainance? The gravel is about 6 inches deep and the area is 11' by 14'. I'm really stuck here because everyone keeps telling me different ways to do it. HELP! :)

I'm a little unclear. What type of slab are you using eg concrete or stone? Slabs require a secure base, or you planning to set slabs on sand base (not good for snadstone) or a mortar base (much better and secure)? Usually a stable and compacted base (hardcore) is required and I don't hink Pea gravel would be stable. But i fyou insist on using the pea gravel, pour in a slurry mix of mortar to help bind the pea gravel. You could then set slabs on the usual mortar base on the stabilised pea gravel base.

If you are using concrete flags you could replace mortar with course sand and/or a dry mix of sand and cement. But a semi-dry mortar base works best and permits easier positioning and levelling of slabs etc.

Good luck!

Advertisement