Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM Bank Holiday Monday

• 25-04-2011 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Next monday (may 2) for the bank holiday they are playing non stop music all day with no presenters, The today fm all day party they are calling it. Shame on them, that kind of **** is bad enough overnight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They do this every time, its a notable failure on their part. While the talk element of Today FM is modest dropping Last Word with every public/bank holiday is very low rent.

Oh wait no prattling djs as well - that should be heaven no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

mike65 wrote: »
    They do this every time, its a notable failure on their part. While the talk element of Today FM is modest dropping Last Word with every public/bank holiday is very low rent.

Oh wait no prattling djs as well - that should be heaven no?

This is the first time they will have no presenters on all day, they would always have the likes of tim kelly phil cawley and bob coway on doing 4 hour shifts on bank holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You could send them a fat cheque to cover the costs of presenting the shows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JackieBurkhart

Maybe a bit lazy on their part - but not really in the realms of 'shame'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Pretty lazy alright. They must be saving loads in wages then.
    Even a 'Best of the xxxx' show compilation might have been somewhat interesting. I'm driving back to Dublin later today and I would have tuned into Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

No Ian Dempsey, Ray Darcy, Ray Foley or Tony Fenton?

I might actually tune in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds better than their usual babble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Shame on them?! It's not like they're a state broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Not having a presenter saying hello to Mary in Maynooth and Girtrude in Galway would actually STOP some people from listening to the station.

Okaaay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Not having a presenter saying hello to Mary in Maynooth and Girtrude in Galway would actually STOP some people from listening to the station.

Okaaay!

Well in that cause is their a point to music radio? Why dont we all switch to our ipods/mp3 players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Tapes wrote: »
    Well in that cause is their a point to music radio? Why dont we all switch to our ipods/mp3 players?

well. Lots of people do. And lots of people like me don't. Because an ipod doesn't give you the news every hour. And an ipod isn't gonna allow you to hear songs or artists that you've never thought to put on your ipod, or more importantly, songs or artists that you've never heard before.....which maybe you would like to own! Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Tapes wrote: »
    Next monday (may 2) for the bank holiday they are playing non stop music all day with no presenters, The today fm all day party they are calling it. Shame on them, that kind of **** is bad enough overnight.

You could be talking about 4FM there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chenacross

Big Tone wrote: »
    You could be talking about 4FM there too.

We have loads of people loving it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

All day music? No talking? A mix tape lovers dream.... Now where can I buy Audio Cassettes (awww, back to my teen years)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I find Today FM's automation at night time brilliant. Driving long distances with the station on is much more pleasurable. no stupid ads, no idiot DJ coming on who thinks he's "made it" just because he has some over night slot, and trying to play stupid "text me in" games. Add that to some seriously great, middle of the road music, that you'd enjoy whether you were in bed or out on the road, all in all i'd give them high marks for that service.

If they replicate it next Monday I for one will remain tuned in.

There is always the argument of having your ipod do the same thing, but i know whats on my ipod, i've no idea what they're goin to play next, and most of the time, especially on over nights i find myself curious abouts whats coming up next (more so than during the day because if Tony's on, you can nearly guess)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's undoubtedly an easy cop out, but no big deal really. Every other bank holiday as you say, they have Phil Cawley, Bob Conway, etc on basically saying: "Hi!! 100-102 TodayFM!! Here's Rihanna!!" "That was Rihanna on 100-102 TodayFM!! Here's Jay-Z!!"
    TodayFM's overnight stuff is probably the best on any station. At least they don't descend into the hardest of hardcore House music like 2FM and others.

While I'd prefer to be listening to the regular lineup of DJ's, having none is better than listening to fill in's.

And just to clarify, I've nothing against Phil Cawley or Conway, I'm sure if Foley or Dempsey were doing a Bank Holiday slot they'd do the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomhardy

Sorry to disappoint! Today FM will feature live programmes from 7am on May Bank Holiday Monday - with amongst others KC, Bob Conway & Jessica De Burca (As Gaeilge). Our music theme is 'all day party' - with toe tappin' tunes, classic & new from 7a-7p. Thanks to our good friends at Bulmer's Original Irish Cider, we're also commercial free from Noon-7pm with tickets for the Bulmer's Forbidden Fruit Festival hourly and a trip to a music festival in Spain for four to give away. As the theme for the day hasn't been promoted on air yet - I wonder where the information that kicked off this thread came from? Do we have a mole?!! Regards - enjoy your long weekend! Regards Tom Hardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Assuming the above is genuine, Tom Hardy is the programme manager at Today FM. Welcome to boards Tom - hopefully you wont get banned for plugging Bulmers! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

tomhardy wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint! Today FM will feature live programmes from 7am on May Bank Holiday Monday - with amongst others KC, Bob Conway & Jessica De Burca (As Gaeilge). Our music theme is 'all day party' - with toe tappin' tunes, classic & new from 7a-7p. Thanks to our good friends at Bulmer's Original Irish Cider, we're also commercial free from Noon-7pm with tickets for the Bulmer's Forbidden Fruit Festival hourly and a trip to a music festival in Spain for four to give away. As the theme for the day hasn't been promoted on air yet - I wonder where the information that kicked off this thread came from? Do we have a mole?!! Regards - enjoy your long weekend! Regards Tom Hardy.

I had a sneaking suspicion this would be the case. :)
    Hmmm Jessica De Burca....good call sir. good call. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Assuming the above is genuine, Tom Hardy is the programme manager at Today FM. Welcome to boards Tom - hopefully you wont get banned for plugging Bulmers! :D

He won't .. the Bulmers promo is relevant/on-topic on this thread as it's in connection with Today FM's BH Monday programming.

Good to see you here on Boards.ie, Tom - hope we see many more posts from you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Tom, any chance on monday, you could nip into Tony Fenton's studio and steal his 2 Door Cinema Club, Ceelo Green, and U2 cd's.

He's flogging them to death at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rossa morbeg

tomhardy wrote: »

For fùck sake Tom instead of posting on boards update your station line up, What the fùck is fony fenton still doing with a job? Why is sam smith still on air? 13 years and all he can pull in is 60k listeners and you keep him on? Whats with the **** fest smith has with the newyork lawyer year week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Lads why can't we just welcome people working in radio to the forum, and hope they can become contributors here, without being at the end of foul language and unhelpful questioning? Maybe we can put questions in a well thought out way, and hope we can enjoy their taking part in the community.

It's a radio forum, wouldn't it be fantastic to have people in the industry involved, without being the subject of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Lads why can't we just welcome people working in radio to the forum, and hope they can become contributors here, without being at the end of foul language and unhelpful questioning? Maybe we can put questions in a well thought out way, and hope we can enjoy their taking part in the community.

Hear hear!
    It's a radio forum, wouldn't it be fantastic to have people in the industry involved, without being the subject of abuse.

Agreed again!... By the way there *are* plenty of industry people reading - and a few that post here (some quite regularly) ... but yes, the more the merrier!

Advertisement