Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Portfolio Sites..

• 25-04-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I am interested in getting a personal portfolio online..
    I have looked at Zenfolio and Viewbook and was wondering if anyone had any other options ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You could use wordpress too, it's very customizable or make your own using Javascript and HTML/CSS tutorials if you're happy to learn stuff.

Photoshelter does that as well I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Viewbook uses Flash for galleries and Zenfolio has some Flash features. Using Flash brings up issues you would be best avoiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Which issues in particular tricky D?

In most implementations of Flash any text captions can't be seen by search engines. Flash also has poor compatibility with iPhones among others. Some methods for blocking ads disable Flash.

More: http://antezeta.com/news/flash-problems

A jQuery based solution for galleries is a much better option (lightbox or highslide).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Photoshelter is much more expensive.

The other two I mentioned while flash based to some extent are in fact ok with me, I am not looking for passing traffic, I intend only people I give the URL to having it.. I cant remember which one but at least one of them claim to be optimised for search engines anyway and Viewbook had Ipad integration.

What I am looking for is a WYSIWYG solution at this point..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Even if you're not looking for passing traffic ( Which is quite silly as this could lead to potential work ) a majority of people will have their email synced to their phone, If they've contacted you asking for a portfolio and you reply to them and they get it to their mobile it's hassle for them.

There's a good chance if someone is looking for a wedding photographer, and they maybe contact 5 including you, and each replies while the person is commuting or something chances are they won't be able to see your images and could go elsewhere. It just seems like a silly thing to do.

Ricky, we are just coming from this from different points, I dont advertise, I have in fact not advertised in 20 years, I am not looking for any passing trade and to me that is not silly at all.. I dont want it..

I just want a simply WYSIWYG type of interface that looks good.. I like Zenfolio and viewbook but there must be more options in that price range...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Ricky, we are just coming from this from different points, I dont advertise, I have in fact not advertised in 20 years, I am not looking for any passing trade and to me that is not silly at all.. I dont want it..

I just want a simply WYSIWYG type of interface that looks good.. I like Zenfolio and viewbook but there must be more options in that price range...

Smugmug - similar to Zenfolio

Cheers, Smugmug looks interesting.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Wll seeing as I'm looking to plug a new fine art photo I took today...

http://sicsidefx.daportfolio.com/

I love deviant art anyway as I'm sure many of you do. There is no quality loss with uploads and I love that my photos and paintings look like their supposed to. they have the portfolio feature you see above for free although I have Premium membership(20euro for a year if I remember rightly) and that gets you some other tweaks you can add like a custom URL and the ability to get a straight up .com of your own.

Also it looks amazing on the iPad (which I'm on right now) and retains all the flash feel of the gallery. It's a portfolio and as such is a display of your work and not much else. If you want more room to discuss your work and blog,edit etc, then it might now work out for you. Head over to deviant art.com and give it a blast though, it's free and so simple, so why not! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

This is a pretty good one with a free limited version to try out.

http://4ormat.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use clikpic.com, does what it says on the tin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

There are loads of differant ways of doing these kinda things.

I an neither a photographer or webdesigner adn just like to play every now and then with stuff. For me Wordpress is the one site to rule them all, it can do pretty much anything you want, the only thing that will restrict you is your creative ablity and willingness to learn how to do a tiny bit of customisation.

Capture-1024x519.jpgThis is my wee site I use to show some photos I have taken, I wanted a crisp easy to look at site with endless options. Its only a month or so old and I have lots of development to do as I have more & more ideas.

Adrian

Thank you guys for the options ! :)

sunny2004 wrote: »

Passing trade is only relevant to the SEO point I made. The other 2 points would still apply. Have a good look at WordPress with jQuery gallery implementations.

Advertisement