Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with camping

Options
  • 25-04-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey lads/ladies this is my first post so I hope this is in the right section if not I apologise in advance.

My question is about camping, I'm planning on goin camping next week with 8 people and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good places to go. Here's a list of a few things I'd like but not necessitys.

*somewhere between an hour/two hours from dundrum area
    *a remote place (not a campsite)
    *beside a lake/river/lough for some fishing(any type of fishing but advice would be appreciated)
    *any info on permits( do I need permits to camp in the place suggested )

Any info would be much appreciated.

THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from East. Maybe the good folk in Outdoor Pursuits may be able to offer advice.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I’ve always been tempted to camp up above the powerscourt waterfall – some suitable grassy spots beside the river with pools for bathing in. Not sure there would be any fish in the river though. And it would be a bit of a hike to get up there from Crone woods car park.

Other areas I’ve seen “wild” campers at are beside the avonmore river at Trooperstown hill, Glenmalure (in a small wood beside the river where you cross if going up to art’s lough).

That said, I’ve never actually camped in any of the above – just seen others doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hi,nice one..isn't too cold to go camping now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

rolion wrote: »
    hi,nice one..isn't too cold to go camping now ?

ah now....
    Wear an extra jumper and and ate a bowl of weetabix to toughen yourself up:P
    op, remember, you can camp anywhere with a landowners permission. Just make sure he's ok with you lighting a small fire (if you plan to), and leave the place as ya found it. Afaik, its legal to camp in Coillte grounds and have a fire, provided you clean up (open to correction on that one though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Dusty87 wrote: »
    ah now....
    op, remember, you can camp anywhere with a landowners permission. Just make sure he's ok with you lighting a small fire (if you plan to), and leave the place as ya found it. Afaik, its legal to camp in Coillte grounds and have a fire, provided you clean up (open to correction on that one though).

Fires are banned on almost all Coillte land. In general, you need to be out of sight, at least 500m from a trail and for a group of eight, you need a permit. Of course, a bit of discretion goes a long way!

Also, lol at it being too cold. I slept out in the freeze earlier this year when it was cold enough my cooker wouldn't work! A good sleeping bag and some bourbon Weetabix and you're sorted, like Dusty says.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    Fires are banned on almost all Coillte land. In general, you need to be out of sight, at least 500m from a trail and for a group of eight, you need a permit. Of course, a bit of discretion goes a long way!

Also, lol at it being too cold. I slept out in the freeze earlier this year when it was cold enough my cooker wouldn't work! A good sleeping bag and some bourbon Weetabix and you're sorted, like Dusty says.

tell me about it, the little gas cylinders lol. I didn know they would freeze so easily but there ya go.
    Wasn sure on the Coillte thing, knew about the tracks but thought fires were allowed! Havn said that would have checked it up before i went planning anything. Is that a new enough thing?

tell me about it, the little gas cylinders lol. I didn know they would freeze so easily but there ya go.
    Wasn sure on the Coillte thing, knew about the tracks but thought fires were allowed! Havn said that would have checked it up before i went planning anything. Is that a new enough thing?

Yeah, very recent, I believe. You used to technically need a permit, but they don't issue them anymore. That said, again, discretion will get you far.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ah now....

thanks...i was thinking with kids in my mind...
    yeah,liquid weetabix all way to go...
    have fun !

have fun !

Ah, fair enough. You probably wouldn't want to be trapped in a tent with restless kids for eleven hours of darkness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

strictly speaking you can't light a fire on Coillte lands, but they do offer a leave no trace policy, so if you can light a fire and stick to that then "it's ok"

have fun !

ah right. Depends on the kid i suppose. My 17 month old loves the outdoors, cant keep her inside at all. No problems wit her camping, but then a friend of mine has a daughter who wouldn go out the back yard to a tent. Depends on the child like everything else. Do you have a garden or somewhere to pitch a tent for a night and see? If it dosn work out ya just head back inside:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 free-2-air

I found this doc on the coillte site which seems to provide the best info on fires...summary is that it says you can only light fires in designated areas (not to many of those from what i have seen) and that barbecues can only be used in designated areas (have seen a couple of barbecues plates on tables in different coillte areas especially in Cruagh, Tibradden etc)

http://www.coillte.ie/fileadmin/templates/pdfs/Coillte_Eng_13.pdf

From the doc the Leave No Trace policy is targeted at keeping those few areas where a fire/barbecue is possible reasonably clean.

Actually just read the whole thing again and it seems to contradict itself... maybe the difference is between what coillte is willing to allow and what is actually illegal under the various acts

Advertisement