Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 1/2" barrel on a 22lr rifle legal???

Options
  • 25-04-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at and was offered a Ruger 10 22 with a 13 1/2" barrel on it. Rifle is in the UK. The barrel has been chopped to that length.

Is this OK and legal in Ireland???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

the shortest barrell iv ever seen on a rifle was 16in on a savage. would you plan to put a moderator on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

hi clive
    i met with my cheif sup. and she wouldnt issue a licence for a marlin with a 18.5" barrel. she said its unlawful so i had to get a 20" one.
    what are you getting with the firearm specs wise?
    is it priced right and with good spec u could always buy a different barrel for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

clivej wrote: »
    I'm looking at and was offered a Ruger 10 22 with a 13 1/2" barrel on it. Rifle is in the UK. The barrel has been chopped to that length.

This will open the can of worms.... but....

Is it ok.... I would suspect that if its a factory barrel cut down then the accuracy would be brutal, it its a heavy barrel it may be suprise alot of people !

Legally... a long arm is a firearm with a barrel over 30cm with its overall length minimun of 60cm.

IF the overall length of the rifle exceeds 60 cm it would be legal to own here.

If you get said rifle.... post up some pics of your groups... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

This will open the can of worms.... but....

Is it ok.... I would suspect that if its a factory barrel cut down then the accuracy would be brutal, it its a heavy barrel it may be suprise alot of people !

Lots of people in England cut their .22lrs to 14". The extra half inch wont make much odds. I think I had mine cut to 16.5, cant remember exactly.... Groups are excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

dax121 wrote: »
    hi clive
    i met with my cheif sup. and she wouldnt issue a licence for a marlin with a 18.5" barrel. she said its unlawful so i had to get a 20" one.
    what are you getting with the firearm specs wise?
    is it priced right and with good spec u could always buy a different barrel for it :D

Spec is
    Full " Volquartsen 10/22 with a fluted match grade Stainless Barrel, with Kidd Trigger. Volquartsen SS action and Volquartsen bolt in a Volquartsen thumb hole stock. Used it for Gallery Rifle and it's extremely accurate at 20 yards. Please note that it's had the Barrel shortened to move the CofG backwards and reduce weight ".

Brown de Luxe : https://www.volquartsen.com/products...i-auto-rimfire

Price is about right.

Also if's its legal I'll just get a sub license

cj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

It is legal Clive, my anschutz has 14" barrel and i had no issues licencing it, and extremely accurate to i might add. the legal bit regards this is below.
    http://garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20337%202009%20Firearms%20%28Restricted%20Firearms%20and%20Ammuntion%29%20%28Amendment%29%20Order%202009.pdf

eireshot wrote: »
    It is legal Clive, my anschutz has 14" barrel and i had no issues licencing it, and extremely accurate to i might add. the legal bit regards this is below.
    http://garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20337%202009%20Firearms%20%28Restricted%20Firearms%20and%20Ammuntion%29%20%28Amendment%29%20Order%202009.pdf

Cheers eireshot for that link.
    That spells it out then and as Gunhappy says if the barrel is over 30cm and total length needed is 60cm then all OK.

13 1/2" barrel = 34.3cm and the stock will add well over another 30cm to the total length of the required 60cm . ;)

Now the horse trading starts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Hi Clive. I just got my cz back from being shortened and a new target crown and it's shooting lovely.
    I cut the length of the sack moderator (6") of it so now the barrel is 14" long.
    As long as it's More than 12" long you are ok.
    I look forward to seeing it
    Best of luck with it.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Hi Clive. I just got my cz back from being shortened and a new target crown and it's shooting lovely.
    I cut the length of the sack moderator (6") of it so now the barrel is 14" long.
    As long as it's More than 12" long you are ok.
    I look forward to seeing it
    Best of luck with it.

Its a private sale so I have to see about getting the Ruger over from the UK.
    I don't know anything about doing this but if there's a will there's a way.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Without having read up on it at this point, I've a feeling floating around in my head that the legal length is 19.5 inches with good reason needed for shorter barrels. That "short firearms" refers to pistols?

Could have that arse backwards but I'll have a dig around later if I have a spare five minutes :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I was looking into chopping my .22 whenever my license for my .223 comes and i'm getting that threaded, i was doing a bit of googling and 16" is the optimum length for velocity so i think thats what i'll go for on my cz

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

I think the minimum barrel length is 50 cm ;)

yup ur right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i asked the same question awhile back
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69960931

dax121 wrote: »
    yup ur right

I think your both wrong here as CZ 22lr come in 16 1/2" which is 42cm and reading the guidelines if its under 30cm barrel then its classed as a short firearm (a pistol).
    If its not a 'short firearm' then it must be a long firearm.

Quote................

4. Article 3 (1) of the Principal Order is amended by the substitution of the following definition for the definition of “short firearms”:
    “ ‘short firearms’ means firearms either with a barrel not longer than 30
    centimetres or whose overall length (excluding the length of any detachable component) does not exceed 60 centimetres;”.

So if the barrel exceeds 30cm and the total length exceeds 60cm I'm good to go.

I think your both wrong here as CZ 22lr come in 16 1/2" which is 42cm and reading the guidelines if its under 30cm barrel then its class as a pistol. The 50cm is for min. length of a shotgun. is it not?

If its not a 'short firearm' then it must be a long firearm.

Quote................

4. Article 3 (1) of the Principal Order is amended by the substitution of the following definition for the definition of “short firearms”:
    centimetres or whose overall length (excluding the length of any detachable component) does not exceed 60 centimetres;”.

So if the barrel exceeds 30cm and the total length exceeds 60cm I'm good to go.

Not being smart but dont thats quiet true .Bazza888 just put up a very good link of the same question being asked a while back ;)

if you click the link i posted the 2links the guys gave me were to 2other threads with the very info ye are talking about now!iv seen rifles with 14inch barrels in gunshops here but also been told its not legal

So if the barrel exceeds 30cm and the total length exceeds 60cm I'm good to go.[/LEFT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Read Bazzas link + 3

If it were me Clive, I wouldn't build the house on that foundation.

johngalway wrote: »
    Read Bazzas link + 3

"The barrel was damaged and was cut back by gunsmith to its present length".

Now does that statement not fulfill the present regulations in everyway, if you read all the posts from the 3 links and what sparks and exridax had to say.

if thats the case my chief super is wrong when she said a barrel under 20" is unlawful. and that she could not issue a licence for one under 20".
    wonder could i get a few of ye up to fight my case :D

• Advertisement

"The barrel was damaged and was cut back by gunsmith to its present length".

Now does that statement not fulfill the present regulations in everyway, if you read all the posts from the 3 links and what sparks and exridax had to say.

Oh i would doubt it :(

bazza888 wrote: »
    if you click the link i posted the 2links the guys gave me were to 2other threads with the very info ye are talking about now!iv seen rifles with 14inch barrels in gunshops here but also been told its not legal
    johngalway wrote: »
    Read Bazzas link + 3

Having read over all the links to the regulations it would seem that the law is not black and white about it.

There are rifles for sale in many dealers that are under 50cm in length and people are buying them and getting licenses for them. So if the owners of these rifles have a license for them gotten lawfully then they "possess with lawful authority" said rifle.

Criminal Justice Act 2006

Section 12(A)(1) & (2)

6) It is an offence for a person (except a registered firearms dealer) to possess without lawful authority or reasonable excuse—
    (a) a shot-gun the barrel of which is less than 61 centimetres in length,
    (b) a rifle the barrel of which is less than 50 centimetres in length,

S.I. No. 337 of 2009
    FIREARMS (RESTRICTED FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION)
    (AMENDMENT) ORDER 2009
    Link here
    centimetres or whose overall length (excluding the length of any detachable
    component) does not exceed 60 centimetres;”.

thats what i was thinking clive but would that not not be sorta like if you put in for a non restricted license for something that you knew was restricted and the guards licensed you for it,some lads were saying you could still be done for having the rifle?i was told if you get a dealer or gunsmith to write a letter saying barrel was damaged and had to be cut and put it with application it would be ok,it seems to be another part of gunlaw thats very grey

thats what i was thinking clive but would that not not be sorta like if you put in for a non restricted license for something that you knew was restricted and the guards licensed you for it,some lads were saying you could still be done for having the rifle?i was told if you get a dealer or gunsmith to write a letter saying barrel was damaged and had to be cut and put it with application it would be ok,it seems to be another part of gunlaw thats very grey

I don't know about restricted or not restricted as the only mention of restriction is if the barrel is less than 30cm and the total length is less than 60cm and thats covered in this bit.............

S.I. No. 337 of 2009
    FIREARMS (RESTRICTED FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION)
    (AMENDMENT) ORDER 2009
    Link here
    centimetres or whose overall length (excluding the length of any detachable
    component) does not exceed 60 centimetres;”.

Personally I'd go with its not restricted and is legal if I have a current license and "possess with lawful authority" if i can get it for the right money I will.

Also if its OK to own, have, and use in the UK and here the system seems to go with whatever the UK does.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Having read over all the links to the regulations it would seem that the law is not black and white about it.
    Unfortunately that's an understatement. It's one of the areas where we really need a judicial ruling to know for sure. No-one can tell you yes or no reliably because it comes down to how the law is interpreted, and that requires a judicial ruling to nail down fully. Personally I think it should be legal, but I'm not a judge so that opinion and a fiver will get you a fancy cup of coffee in Dublin these days. Even if someone has gotten a licence for a shorter barrelled rifle, that's not proof that you can, just that some supers will give a licence for it - and we all know that that's not a very standardised sort of thing.

i didnt mean it was restricted clive was trying say if you license it and say it got stolen could the guards turn around and say what were you doing with that is barrel was way to short?i hope you can get it im not trying rain on your parade i just hate the grey area laws id love a short barrel anschutz

i didnt mean it was restricted clive was trying say if you license it and say it got stolen could the guards turn around and say what were you doing with that is barrel was way to short?i hope you can get it im not trying rain on your parade i just hate the grey area laws id love a short barrel anschutz

Nail. Hammer. Head. For me.

There is the culture where everything that's grey is grand.

Until something happens and questions are asked.

To me that is an overly complicated situation to bring into life. And if others are doing it, bully for them, but it wouldn't be for me.

And none of the above is legal advice in any shape or form. Just a genuine opinion that the situation seems "complicated".

As Bunny suggested, go talk to rimfiremagic, Dave (Baldie - certainly not to be confused with Baldie on AGBBS, two different people) on UK Long Range works there as the gunsmith. Don't mention my name or he'll triple the price :pac: But I do know a guy in the Republic who had a rifle custom built by them, not a 10/22, and by all accounts it's a tack driver. They specialize in them so should know what they're on about, or maybe leads on second handers.

Cheers bazza

I know what your saying and thats when the sh!te hits the fan :o
    The moneys about right and its all custom not a Ruger part on it. Its all wait and see for now. :cool:

thats why i didnt get one john,went for the standard length barrel on my cz,its a pain for the likes of clive when you go in a gunshop and see a 14in barrel and they tell you its ok but you try read and understand the laws and it seems it may not be,a heavy 20inch barrel would be a pain to shoot standing in gallery id say

• Advertisement

Another point here is that if I was to go the full custom 10/22 from say Kidd, Volquartsen, or Rimfiremagic I would still be going for a 16 1/2" barrel anyway. So no matter what the rifle will still be under the 50cm/19 5/8" length.

The 16 1/2" barrel is what a lot of the custom 10/22 gallery rifles are built to.

Advertisement