Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmore Quay (What a lovely village)

Options
  • 25-04-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

Not long back from a trip to Kilmore Quay. Very nice village with traditional thatched roofed dwellings. And a very nice seafood restaurant, Silver Fox. I plan to go back and visit the Saltee's. Well worth the visit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

A trip out to the Saltees is well worth the visit - especially during the month of June when the place is full of Gannets, Razorbills, Puffins et al.

I've been out there every year for the past 3 years and have always enjoyed it.

Some of my photos -

4634545145_5e5b8b18b5.jpg

3575689768_586f9ede35.jpg

3580419153_214666afab.jpg

2667550808_d4459d5d9e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Try out www.crazycrab.ie next time you down there, very fresh fish and good prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a lovely spot, is it true the lightship is gone?

pic I took in the 90s
    2593949920_131e2dd212_z.jpg?zz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a lovely spot, is it true the lightship is gone?

pic I took in the 90s
    2593949920_131e2dd212_z.jpg?zz=1

Fraid so.:(

Exerpt from local paper stated

By Maria Pepper

Wednesday April 21 2010

PARTS of the Guillemot Lightship have been removed by Wexford County Council on health and safety grounds. The Council sent contractors down to Kilmore Quay last Thursday to make the ship 'safe', by removing parts of it that were considered likely to fall or be blown off by strong winds. Niall McGuigan, Director of Environment Services with Wexford County Council, said they had to make the ship safe as it had become a public health hazard. 'Certain parts of it were damaged. We knew it had become dangerous and couldn't allow it to remain that way,' he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://msmrecycling.com/projects/lightship-guillemot/

Thats a real pity, half the reason I went over with me cameras was the lightship. You'd have thought it could have been maintained as an attaction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah now mike they tried, thats a very old photo you have there, it was Built into the new Pier development a few years after that and most people presumed that it would remain there for a fair while as a tourist attraction, but, as is the nature of large hunks of metal exposed to the sea air it deteriorated beyond any level of repair, shame tho, and rather unexpected that it should decline so Fast, makes me worried about the one still at sea:eek:

Well Its GONE :(

Was down there today and they have finished removing the last of the Lightship, all thats left to do now is make safe the Hole.

Also, How long has the Wooden House been Closed????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Also, How long has the Wooden House been Closed????

Over a year now, also Kehoes closed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Badabing wrote: »
    Over a year now, also Kehoes closed.

I would imagine that is an enormous loss to the village. I couldn't believe it when I heard it - and no-one else seems to be taking up the slack - except maybe Mary Barry's, but she's out the way a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

spurious wrote: »
    I would imagine that is an enormous loss to the village. I couldn't believe it when I heard it - and no-one else seems to be taking up the slack - except maybe Mary Barry's, but she's out the way a bit.

Yeah thats very true only Saltees Hotel in the quay for a pint and food. Mary Barrys are really going for the food end of things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We were in Wexford at the weekend and drove into Kilmore for lunch in Kehoes beer garden - couldn't believe it was closed. Real shame for the village. The Saltees is a bit run down and the other pubs are way out. Wont be making that trip anymore! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There was talk of Kehoes opening up again but alas no sign thus far.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Anyone know what happened all the stuff that was exhibited in the lightship?
    There used to be an unusual collection of bits and pieces that fascinated my kids when I used to bring them down. I brought my two youngest down last summer to see the boat as they had never been there, only to discover that it was closed. Very disappointed, I should have done my research first. Wasn't bothered much with Kilmore Quay itself either. It was looking a bot run down and with little to offer other then ice-cream and pubs. The adjoining beaches were covered with tar and rubbish that had been washed in and the harbour lacked the lustre that I remember from before. We all decided it was not worth the trip down from Wexford Town and wouldn't be going back. Will do the Saltee Islands trip though sometime with the cameras, definitely keen to do that as I'm always hearing good reports on that.

Advertisement