Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL eletrical/electronic/computer engineering

Options
  • 25-04-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, is there anyone on here that is doing electrical/electronic/computer engineering in UL.

As you probably know, UL are merging electrical, electronic, computer and robotic engineering into a single degree "electronic and computer engineering" next year.

What I am wondering is:
    • Do you think that it is a good degree and are you enjoying it?
    • Are the lecturers good and willing to help people out?
    • What are the class sizes like?
    • What are the job prospects for graduates of any of these degrees?

Thanks, any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

I am a third year Robotic Engineer at the moment. We share the majority of our modules with the Electronic Engineers, and Computer Engineers. I do believe that it is a good degree, but it is largely theoretically based. You need to have reasonable maths, as all 6 of my current modules involve maths in some shape or form.

There are some great lecturers in the department, there are some that arent so good, but all are willing to help, and very approachable.

At the moment class sizes arent large, just in 3rd year between the 3 courses there are only about 20 of us. However this could change next year with the change in the course structure.

I feel that the job prospects are fairly good at the moment, all of our year got relevant co-op placement, which is a great sign. Along with this, Analog Devices are hiring 20 graduates this year alone. There is also the expansion of Intel in Leixlip, and I have heard of other jobs in smaller companies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I'm a 1st year computer engineer and we share the exact same modules as the electrical and robotic fellas.
    I'm interested in computers so I enjoy the computer software(java) module and digital systems. The lecturers for both of those are sound, helpful and are good at lecturing, however the digital systems guy said he might retire soon :(.

The maths lecturer for last semester and this semester is beyond terrible, so I dont even go to the lectures. Maths is generally tough and I havent been doing well in exams so I would advise to do plenty work.
    Technically the 3 courses have few people however we share some modules with other courses so class sizes can vary.

So far most lecturers say there is a big demand out there for comp/elec/robo engineers and you shouldn't have much trouble getting a job as soon as you graduate from the uni. Co-op helps loads apparently, so its advised you do well in 1st year aswell. Although 1st year results don't count on your degree, it counts for co-op, so the better the results the higher chance you'll get a better placement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 noddyForGold

Im a 2nd year in comp eng. I wouldnt do this course if u dont like maths but there is tons of support and different learning centres to go to if you find it difficult. All the lectures ive had were resonable enough and very approacable. Also the course head is be very helpful. Everybody in my year got co-op who wanted it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

I've just finished Comp Eng, so things could be a bit different from what I experienced, but anyways:

Class sizes for me were very small, there were just two of us in my year in Comp Eng, they've been steadily getting bigger since and since all are grouped together at the start you'll probably get around the 30 mark.

It's like school basically - some of the lecturers are brilliant, some not so great, some really know the stuff but aren't able to communicate it well. They will all be willing to help you if you ask for help though. You'd want to be good at maths or at least able to cope with it (I was the latter category, and only barely!). There's a lot of theory involved rather than practical work, again this could change from my experience. If you're leaning more towards the computers side of the spectrum rather than electronics, I'd advise you to do a bit of learning on the side, reading up on computer technology, learn a language you're not doing in college...like we only did Networks in fourth year, whereas I reckon Computer Engineers should be learning about the basics at the latest by second year, but hey, maybe that's just me!

Job prospects are pretty good, particularly if you're willing to move to Dublin, I'm just chillaxing for a while though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tastyboy

There'll be no problem with suficient work. I'm currently finishing up my masters in computer engineering in UL, great place, you'll learn loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I'm a mature student and have been offered a place on this course among a few others, starting in September. I'm giving serious consideration to choosing this one though (LM118).

I know this course, in its current form, only began last year, but can any current students (or past students of the original format) give me some advice on what ye think were the biggest stumbling blocks you encountered along they way?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bombibom

Username99 wrote: »
    I'm a mature student and have been offered a place on this course among a few others, starting in September. I'm giving serious consideration to choosing this one though (LM118).

I know this course, in its current form, only began last year, but can any current students (or past students of the original format) give me some advice on what ye think were the biggest stumbling blocks you encountered along they way?

Thanks

Hi. Mature student my self second year on the course(LM118)
    As most posts above I can just confirm that there is a great support on campus for any subject that you feel stuck on.
    Maths are definitely something to look out for. Tough enough but plenty help available so not a big stumble after all.
    Good luck with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

bombibom wrote: »
    Username99 wrote: »

Thanks

Hi. Mature student my self second year on the course(LM118)
    As most posts above I can just confirm that there is a great support on campus for any subject that you feel stuck on.
    Maths are definitely something to look out for. Tough enough but plenty help available so not a big stumble after all.
    Good luck with the course.

Hoping to do LM118 next year, what are the hours like?

5 days a week. Be prepared to be there until 6pm most days.
    Usually 2-3 days start at 9-10am so it is a full time busy enough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guymartin

Hi guys,

Hope to be starting this course in September 2014, hoping to go down the Electronics stream after work placement in third year, just a quick question for people who are currently in the course.

Physics is thought in the first semester in first year, but there is no mention of it throughout the rest of the course. Is it just delt with in the first semester and you never come back to it for the rest of the course or is it built on in later modules?

• Advertisement

guymartin wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hope to be starting this course in September 2014, hoping to go down the Electronics stream after work placement in third year, just a quick question for people who are currently in the course.

Physics is thought in the first semester in first year, but there is no mention of it throughout the rest of the course. Is it just delt with in the first semester and you never come back to it for the rest of the course or is it built on in later modules?

It is only in the first semester of the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Flutee

The dedicated physics module is only in first semester of first year, but a module like Semiconductor Fundamentals in second semester builds on the Applied Electricity chapter from Leaving Cert Physics. Later on them if you choose to go down the Electrical Energy stream, there will be more physics based modules!

Definitely not a prerequisite to have done Leaving Cert Physics. Support tutorials are run in the first week or two for people who haven't done it, and the Science Learning Centre is free to drop in and ask any questions. Don't let it put you off the course because if you are intersted in any of the rest of the modules taught, it is very easy to pick up the physics.

Any more questions just fire away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

[Rasta] wrote: »
    The lecturers for both of those are sound, helpful and are good at lecturing, however the digital systems guy said he might retire soon :(.

Just finished 4th year, had him in 1st year for Digital Systems too (he was talking about retiring then too). Favourite lecturer over the 4 years, the guys a legend. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Just finished 4th year, had him in 1st year for Digital Systems too (he was talking about retiring then too). Favourite lecturer over the 4 years, the guys a legend. :pac:

It can't be raining and not raining!
    Take a look at this, it's not very interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian5005

i'm thinking of doing the electronic engineering course next year and was wonder
    is it worth my while taking up japanese as an extra module or would i be too stuck for time?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

In first year, it might be tight, but that depends on your timetable. If my memory is correct ,you will have 5 hours a week for each of maths, digital systems, circuit design/electrical science, and programming, and 4 hours for physics in sem1 and semiconductor analysis in sem2. That's 24 hours a week. You will have a few 1 hours off, 1 or 2 2 hour gaps, and the possibility of a 3 hour gap.

If you think you can manage an extra module with all of that, then by all means do it. Most of the assignment you are given can be completed over weekends, and won't be too long, at least for sem1 anyway.

I'm a second year LM118 student by the way, so if you have any other questions, fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian5005

yeah,i was thinkin i would be caught for time,i emailed the languages person she said the modules 6 hours a week

Advertisement