Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision & Why I hate my local!

Options
  • 25-04-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Ok so lately I'm skint for cash but I want to play some of the new games! (Portal 2 and MK) so I'm thinking I'll just go rent out one of them which will be fine as there both short :)

So I have a think and realise the only place in my town (Tullamore :mad:) that rents games are xtravision! Now I hate the place... probably because of ignorant or just plain misinformed nonsense that comes out of the assistants mouths.
    Anyways so I get there and I decide to chose Portal 2... they have 2 rental copies ?? Both are out of course! So I decide to leave and come back another day...still out? Also the same deal with Mortal Kombat...2 copies for a game that has just been released?

God I hate Xtravision :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

chiloutus wrote: »
    Ok so lately I'm skint for cash but I want to play some of the new games! (Portal 2 and MK) so I'm thinking I'll just go rent out one of them which will be fine as there both short :)

So I have a think and realise the only place in my town (Tullamore :mad:) that rents games are xtravision! Now I hate the place... probably because of ignorant or just plain misinformed nonsense that comes out of the assistants mouths.
    Anyways so I get there and I decide to chose Portal 2... they have 2 rental copies ?? Both are out of course! So I decide to leave and come back another day...still out? Also the same deal with Mortal Kombat...2 copies for a game that has just been released?

God I hate Xtravision :mad:

I'll never understand why people get so uppity about the knowledge or lack thereof of XV staff - I usually know everything I need to know about the product I am attempting to buy but thats probably just me.

Two copies does sound a little low but they must do it for a reason. Instead of getting PO'd I'd just ring ahead next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

I know everything that needs to be known...release dates ect. But when I walk into a shop and am told the game is not released then walk down the road and buy it in another shop I'm allowed to get pissed :rolleyes:

Also I've had situations with them telling me its in stock then when I trek in...it is not indeed in stock...

I'm just pissed cause I know if other places in the town were renting games...service wouldn't be this poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They'll tell you the day it's due back. No gurantees it'll be back on time but it should be.
    The staff will hold it for you if you can collect that day :)

Two copies is very low though, should be more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well the game has only been out since thursday, and most would take the 5 night option on it. So should be due back in tonight :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

noodler wrote: »
    Two copies does sound a little low but they must do it for a reason.
    The OP said he was in Tullamore...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think your XV store is going down the tubes. The last time I couldnt rent a game or film because all copies were out was back in 2001, before XV opened a store in my town! Since then, Ive gotten what I want when I want.

And yeah depending on the people in the store for stuff like release dates is a bad idea. Use the resource we call the internets. Its dead handy!

yeah they say tomorrow at the earliest! I suppose its not really their fault as such but I've always hated them for some reason! I much prefer Gamestop down the road but unfortunately they don't rent :(
    Agricola wrote: »
    I think your XV store is going down the tubes. The last time I couldnt rent a game or film because all copies were out was back in 2001, before XV opened a store in my town! Since then, Ive gotten what I want when I want.

And yeah depending on the people in the store for stuff like release dates is a bad idea. Use the resource we call the internets. Its dead handy!

Yeah I'm up to date with release dates myself using the net (CVG.com :D) But they seem to be so off the mark they wont even sell games on the day of release unless its HUGE like call of duty. I personally wish someone would give them some competition as its just plain ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

chiloutus wrote: »
    Yeah I'm up to date with release dates myself using the net (CVG.com :D) But they seem to be so off the mark they wont even sell games on the day of release unless its HUGE like call of duty. I personally wish someone would give them some competition as its just plain ridiculous!

Whatever about renting, your better off buying your games online. XV charge a premium for most new releases, especially for console stuff. You'll normally save at a tenner ordering on Amazon or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

XV staff have very little knowledge about the products they sell in general but some of them are better than others. My local is Mitchelstown and would help you out if they can , my not so local is Blackpool and i cant stand the staff there, they know nothing and go out of there way to charge extra or add on some fees. If you knew you were renting a game, you should have pre ordered it, yes you can preorder a rental.

tonydude wrote: »
    XV staff have very little knowledge about the products they sell in general but some of them are better than others. My local is Mitchelstown and would help you out if they can , my not so local is Blackpool and i cant stand the staff there, they know nothing and go out of there way to charge extra or add on some fees. If you knew you were renting a game, you should have pre ordered it, yes you can preorder a rental.

Something I didn't know...But alas I didn't know I was renting it as my interest renting them was an impulse decision!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Nerds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Nerds.jpg

Love the pic, but it's highly off topic...

I would presume extravision would have more then 2 copies of game to rent. Specially when you rent games for weeks etc...

Love the pic, but it's highly off topic...

I would presume extravision would have more then 2 copies of game to rent. Specially when you rent games for weeks etc...

Must depend on the store as they claim they have only two copies available for rent (those are special copies as you cant rent retail games by law)

1) Staff can't really hold a game if you call (customers who actually come into the store asking have to be given preference). Also, if you call and I answer (particularly on abusy night) and I tell you the computer says there is one copy left, that does not take into account someone out on the floor may have the case for said game/movie.

2) Staff have no control over the stock of rentals (rental copies are quite expensive and from my experience were controlled by HO). They also have no control over when something is returned - some people keep stuff out longer, some put it in the drop box 5 minutes before closing etc etc

3) Sometimes they simply don't get a game in for rent, so when you ask is it out yet or do they have it, they may be being completely honest (ignorant if you prefer) in telling you it isn't out yet or isn't available to rent yet.

I have been through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Most pointless rant ever OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

The ol' fella went down to the local and saw himself a game on the xbox he'd like to try out. He went through his wallet and dusted off his xtravision card. The member of staff explained he couldn't take out the game because we haven't rented anything from them in over a year and in order to rent a game again he needed to rent at least 5 dvds. Something about ppl stealing the games and a load of nonsense. My dad was, and still is, not a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

There new computer system is a pure joke too, if you build up fees and dont want to pay, all you need do is create a new account in another Xtra V and resume renting again. I did it once because of stupid late fees, A 1 night rental means it should be returned before the close of business the following night not before a certain time like 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Nerds.jpg
    That's how Valve conceived the Boomer, Charger and Smoker

There new computer system is a pure joke too, if you build up fees and dont want to pay, all you need do is create a new account in another Xtra V and resume renting again. I did it once because of stupid late fees, A 1 night rental means it should be returned before the close of business the following night not before a certain time like 7pm.

Illegal downloading is winning for obvious reasons. :P

HxGH wrote: »
    The ol' fella went down to the local and saw himself a game on the xbox he'd like to try out. He went through his wallet and dusted off his xtravision card. The member of staff explained he couldn't take out the game because we haven't rented anything from them in over a year and in order to rent a game again he needed to rent at least 5 dvds. Something about ppl stealing the games and a load of nonsense. My dad was, and still is, not a happy camper.

How one earth do you reckon that is nonsense?

Are you that naive?

Trust me, when the games came in the place was chalkful of people signing up and then just not returning the games ever. You make it sound like you can't possibly concieve such a thing to be true? The 5 rents before you get a game has been around for over a decade.

Maybe the new computers are different, but the 8:30pm thing is never meant a fine for anyone. The computer would take back the rental as long as it was returned before the close of business - it did say 8:30 in the signup but that was for the (purely logical reason) that they wanted to be able to actually rent out said product the next night (not much chance of that if you hand it back up 5 mins before they close).

I think its strange you think a 1 night rental should actually mean keeping it for two nights but again, maybe the new computers do charge you if it isn't back by 8:30pm (no idea how they'd enforce that if you put it in the drop box at 8:25pm and they were busy though).

Also, if you built up fees and don't want to repay any of them then why on earth do you make them out to be the bad guy when they won't let you rent? Thats your fault, surely?

• Advertisement

Most pointless rant ever OP.

Most ironic post goes to you sir. :D

How one earth do you reckon that is nonsense?

Are you that naive?

Trust me, when the games came in the place was chalkful of people signing up and then just not returning the games ever. You make it sound like you can't possibly concieve such a thing to be true? The 5 rents before you get a game has been around for over a decade.

My father has been with them for at least 10 years. He's hardly going to snap and steal a single game after many years of loyalty. We used to rent a film almost every weekend untill we got SKY. Chill... Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My father has been with them for at least 10 years. He's hardly going to snap and steal a single game after many years of loyalty. We used to rent a film almost every weekend untill we got SKY. Chill... Please.

But how are the employees or computer system meant to know that?

Barrington wrote: »

I was hoping no-one would ask that question. :p I assume there are dates on the card/system? Also, It's an old card. Physically worn and old style/design.

I am completely chilled.

However you did feel the need to bold and underline the word "not" in your post as well as call the procedure in place complete nonsense for some reason.

You mentioned he has been a member 10 years and thats fair enough but you were specifically told that it was the fact there was no activity on the account for a year that was the problem.

I assure you the 5 rentals thing was completely necessary to stop people joining for free and stealing games.
    Barrington wrote: »

Again, not the issue the staff brought up with his father - in fact it was the employee who told him he hadn't rented for over a year as the computer told him so...ahhh

I am completely chilled.

However you did feel the need to bold and underline the word "not" in your post as well as call the procedure in place complete nonsense for some reason.

You mentioned he has been a member 10 years and thats fair enough but you were specifically told that it was the fact there was no activity on the account for a year that was the problem.

I assure you the 5 rentals thing was completely necessary to stop people joining for free and stealing games.

Again, not the issue the staff brought up with his father - in fact it was the employee who told him he hadn't rented for over a year as the computer told him so...ahhh

I realise that it was the inactivity which has prevented the rental of the game. I gather your main argument exists of equality. If everyone else should have an active account or rent 5 DVDs before game rental, so too should my father. Fair enough. You're arguement is valid. However, this does not change my view on the issue.

Also, my unit of measurement was "a load of" and not "complete."
    Something about ppl stealing the games and a load of nonsense.

Lovely discussing the matter with you in such detail. Good day.

. Something about ppl stealing the games and a load of nonsense.
    Lovely discussing the matter with you in such detail. Good day.

Ah its just funny sometimes how people can go OTT from the customer side without thinking through the reasons retailers have for such unpopular measures (whether they are justified or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ok im confused is this a rant because xtravision only have 2 copies of a game you wanted to rent???

if so thats so stupid what does that have to do with a gaming forum?

and anyone insulting anyone here that works for xtravision game gamestop to do with product knowledge it aint on as im sure if there was no recession guys and gals there might have other job prospects..

xtra vision are not that bad i dont buy there that often but when i do they seem sound...

also 5 rental rule is just a business being smart and protecting itself from scams and theft hardly surprising tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

it might be a better option to buy a game new, beat the tar out of it in 2-3 days and give it in to gamestop for most of your money back in credit, and the process continues again.

Ya, ring ahead is the best way to avoid disappointment. I'm slow to play games so in general i'm about a year behind; so i just pay 20-25 for a new game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

renting games, lol.

Advertisement