Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision & Why I hate my local!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

krudler wrote: »
    renting games, lol.

what?? not everyone is a millionaire and can pay 50/60 euro on whatever takes our fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

jaykhunter wrote: »
    it might be a better option to buy a game new, beat the tar out of it in 2-3 days and give it in to anyone but gamestop for most of your money back in credit, and the process continues again.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

krudler wrote: »
    renting games, lol.

There is nothing wrong with renting games.
    I rent games regularly (particularly SP games that are <10 hours, and the 60%-80% rated good-but-not-great games).

I still buy a few games a month, but I don't have enough money to buy all the games I want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I find it a bit unfair saying that XV staff have little knowledge about products is a bit unfair. What people dont realise is that they have to be experts in computer games, movies, tvs, MP3 players, mobile phones. Its just impossible to know everything about all the products in store.

And regarding XV having only 2 rental copies, well they must do that for a reason. If they thought they could make more money by getting in 3 or 4 copies then I'm sure they would do that but gettin more copies must not be profitable.

If you have read the papers lately they are not doing the best of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Looks like its in a bit of bother as it enters examinership

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Predator_ wrote: »
    what?? not everyone is a millionaire and can pay 50/60 euro on whatever takes our fancy

A bit of consumer savvy means you can get new release games for about 40 of your finest eurons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    A bit of consumer savvy means you can get new release games for about 40 of your finest eurons.

still a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Recently I rented Dead Space 2 for one week which cost €10(I think) and got a platinum trophy. I know I'd never play it again so I saved €30.

However, if I bought it I could spend more time playing it, take my time playing, then trade it in once I'm done. I wouldn't save as much money, but it would balance out with how much time I had with it.

I think it depends on the game and if you want to take your time or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I have to say my experience was the complete opposite of some in here. Went in to my local XV and grabbed portal 2 to rent. Went up to the counter and told the staff member that I hadn't been in in ages (well over a year) and had lost my card. Asked me my name and address and rented me the game. Even gave me a new membership card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Predator_ wrote: »
    still a lot

Depends on the game tbh. If it's something like COD/Battlefield/FIFA where you're likely to get months of play out of it, breaking it down per day compared to renting it makes sense to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Depends on the game tbh. If it's something like COD/Battlefield/FIFA where you're likely to get months of play out of it, breaking it down per day compared to renting it makes sense to buy it.

OP here, just jumping back in on the topic.

Well your point is mute in the case of Portal 2 as it has a very short single player campaign and because of the fact that I have no gold I would have been neglecting that section anyways...I know it is a large section of the game but I had no choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I liked xtravision, they wouldn't give me cashback for A broken copy of the Godfather years ago, and instead gave me another copy and a new receipt.

I coped on and kept it up for 7 months, returning games at the end of every month and getting a months demo (usually completed the campaign and became bored of multiplayer)of any new games, or two if I wanted. kept it up until a New GTA came out and i Didnt want to bring it back. it was way better than renting anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

bit in the paper today chronicling xtra-visions financial difficulties, apparently an external examiner has been appointed already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

They are paying rent for stores vacated, what a joke. Who is running this place ? They are a profitable business with decent revenue the problem in my view is management's utter incompetence. I bet there are hundreds of business development managers on the dole that could turn that place around what a shame. Our local one is excellent with great staff and products. If they go it will be a real loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Many firms end up paying like that as when they get the contracts they have to take them for 6/12/24 months or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gflood wrote: »
    They are paying rent for stores vacated, what a joke. Who is running this place ? They are a profitable business with decent revenue the problem in my view is management's utter incompetence. I bet there are hundreds of business development managers on the dole that could turn that place around what a shame. Our local one is excellent with great staff and products. If they go it will be a real loss.

Hmmm..yeah kind of naive on your part there - perfectly possible to be in such a situation if you are signed up to a long-term contract.

Another terrible aspect of the property boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People complaining about poor product knowledge is fail.

If there are not Sales reps, then its not their job to know.

In fairness what Xtravision staff member knows every game and film in store?
    What Argos employee knows every item in catalogue?
    As an Xbox employee do I have to know every single game for Xbox?

Dont be a plank, they are there to help, not give you reviews and indepth knowledge on products, its your job to be informed about the product and do your own research, most staff will always go the extra mile to either brush up on product knowledge or help you out, but to actively moan when someone doesnt know about a product is lame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

In addition, even if you they had indepth knowledge, people may not agree with what they had to say anyway and call them n00bzzzzzz. I'd imagine many of the forum people would feel they are relatively knowledgeable, yet it would be interesting if a mom came in and asked a couple of them whether to get a ps3 or xbox360 :)

Advertisement