Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Still no alternatives. And your points above are just YOUR opinion, not facts. I am still without this mystical clue that is absent in my life.

I find your opinion to be the lesser of my own opinion.

Again, give me a list of alternatives. Now.
    Well first off Sony, ASUS and Toshiba are more reliable.
    Not exactly rock-solid.
    A quick search on the Dell website gave me a Dell laptop for €580 with a higher spec than a Macbook for €999.
    Just got a Sony there for under €800 with a higher spec than a Macbook Pro for €1200 (except a 2.1 GHz processor instead of a a 2.3GHz on the Macbook) and larger screen on the Sony.
    Not exactly reasonably priced.
    User-friendly?
    Both of these laptops also have HDMI-outs, VGA-outs and multiple card readers. Probably an extra €100 quid just to have these simple features on a Mac, that come as standard on most laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

killwill wrote: »
    Tommy Hilfiger, in Canada he said if he knew blacks would end up wearing his clothes he never would have been a fashion designer.

In Canada Eh? Was he just standing in the middle of Canada shouting this or what?

Anyway, as has been said, it was supposedly on the Oprah show , but it never happened either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Well first off Sony, ASUS and Toshiba are more reliable.
    Not exactly rock-solid.
    A quick search on the Dell website gave me a Dell laptop for €580 with a higher spec than a Macbook for €999.
    Just got a Sony there for under €800 with a higher spec than a Macbook Pro for €1200 (except a 2.1 GHz processor instead of a a 2.3GHz on the Macbook) and larger screen on the Sony.
    Not exactly reasonably priced.
    User-friendly?
    Both of these laptops also have HDMI-outs, VGA-outs and multiple card readers. Probably an extra €100 quid just to have these simple features on a Mac, that come as standard on most laptops.
    Have had both. Utter, utter ****e. Sony, overpriced, paying for a name garbage.

Dell.... 'nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

menoscemo wrote: »
    Bacardi For sponsoring the Blockade on Cuban products while similtaneously (falsely) advertising itself as a cuban product. Scmubags :mad:Link

Bacardi was a Cuban product, based out of Cuba since the 19th Century where their rum was perfected. The family behind Bacardi supported the revolutionaries in the beginning but changed their tune when they realised private property and business would no longer be welcome in Cuba, so they got out before their business was robbed from them á la the original ownwers of the Havana Club brand which is now peddled by the Castro and friends gang. The only reason they aren't a 'Cuban' product is that the business would have been nationalised from under them. Why wouldn't they be píssed off? Strangely enough, Guinness brewed in Nigerian breweries features St James's Gate, Dublin on the label, so I fail to see the argument against Bacardi for alluding to it's Cuban origins.

If the Castro regime want to rely on the protections of company law and trademarking they shouldn't have been so quick to ignore them originally to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Euphemism for can't afford.

Plus all the queueing outside the shops.

Too much for me.

stovelid wrote: »

Too much for me.

Well in fairness that's ridiculous. But three weeks wait or whatever is fine for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Irish Daily Mail

I read that main site and look at the comments and some of them are not slow to throw out the paddy comments.
    Yeah I can take a joke but so much outrage and anger on that site. They genuinely are angry over many issues and blame Irish people for some

There is an anti Irish slant on things on the website that the Irish Daily Mail would never use.
    Now I believe the Irish Daily Mail have their own editoral staff but meh, it's all the same to me

Have had both. Utter, utter ****e. Sony, overpriced, paying for a name garbage.
    You just undermined your whole argument in two sentences. Well done. Sony are more reliable, more user-friendly and better value for money. The numbers don't lie.
    Dell.... 'nuff said.

Please go on, I can't wait to read this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

stovelid wrote: »

Too much for me.

A lot of that is actually done by apple themselves. The rent a crowd system. Chap I work with took a days holiday as he was paid to go down and q on Grafton street. Apparently its very common for companies to do this to try and whip up a storm over a product. Sony did the same with the PS3 launch in Tokyo. The first couple of hundred people were all flown in from China by Sony

You just undermined your whole argument in two sentences. Well done. Sony are more reliable, more user-friendly and better value for money. The numbers don't lie.

Please go on, I can't wait to read this.

Nope I'm out. I'm not getting into this any further. Whether you think you're right or wrong, I don't care. From my perspective you proven all I needed proved. You are another who cuts his nose off to spite his face because of some irrational fear of Apple products.

I want nothing more to do with this discussion. I've said all that needs to be said.

• Advertisement

Nope I'm out. I'm not getting into this any further. Whether you think you're right or wrong, I don't care. From my perspective you proven all I needed proved. You are another who cuts his nose off to spite his face because of some irrational fear of Apple products.

I want nothing more to do with this discussion. I've said all that needs to be said.

That is fine. I know, and everyone else knows that I'm right. You've brought absolutely nothing to the discussion except bullshit. Not one point you've made was backed up with even the scent of fact. Well done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd rather believe the billionaire Steve Jobs' hipster savvy guff-speak than some bedsit cowboy whose ACER laptop has to be left on an asbestos table for fear that it's overheating battery and burn the gaff down.
    Just to point out, many manufacturers including Apple had recalled batteries due to the fact they could catch fire, this was due to Sony making faulty batteries which were known to overheat, see Here for proof of this. It was neither Dells, Acers, Apples etc fault for this, the blame is on Sony. Like Nvidia are to be blamed for the overheating 8xxx series GPUs in laptops/desktops including Macs which will all die eventually, if not already.
    Anyways my list of avoided companies:
    Apple, Sony, PC World, Dixons, Ryanair, Eircom, Vodafone (since switching from them am saving an absolute fortune!)

Nick

That is fine. I know, and everyone else knows that I'm right. You've brought absolutely nothing to the discussion except bullshit. Not one point you've made was backed up with even the scent of fact. Well done.
    Lol!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

The Sun.. never ever by that rag of paper! But always have a wee peak at page 3 :P No but seriously, refuse to by any tabloid paper!

O-Deazy wrote: »
    The Sun.. never ever by that rag of paper! But always have a wee peak at page 3 :P No but seriously, refuse to by any tabloid paper!

Tabloids are responsible for a huge amount of social ills. The tripe they peddle that unfortunately so many people buy into is so pervasive and all encompassing. Their brand of lowest common denominator journalism and race to the bottom ethics would make any rational person despair. Amoral vapidity fed to an increasingly gluttonous society who crave this salacious bilge.

Tabloids have created so many of the cultural norms that we find abhorrent. They have single handedly created the cult of celebrity. Fück them to hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Moderators :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

iregk wrote: »
    A lot of that is actually done by apple themselves. The rent a crowd system. Chap I work with took a days holiday as he was paid to go down and q on Grafton street. Apparently its very common for companies to do this to try and whip up a storm over a product. Sony did the same with the PS3 launch in Tokyo. The first couple of hundred people were all flown in from China by Sony

Serious?

I forgot to say RTE. I don't boycott them as such but I don't watch them or think they produce anything useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Tabloids are responsible for a huge amount of social ills. The tripe they peddle that unfortunately so many people buy into is so pervasive and all encompassing. Their brand of lowest common denominator journalism and race to the bottom ethics would make any rational person despair. Amoral vapidity fed to an increasingly gluttonous society who crave this salacious bilge.

Tabloids have created so many of the cultural norms that we find abhorrent. They have single handedly created the cult of celebrity. Fück them to hell!

Great post! So how did the thesaurus taste? :p

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

heh. Deluded much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I remember when the Green sauce was up here, i didn't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just reminds me, I wonder how many are buying Bord Bia 'Irish' eggs from Northern Irl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just reminds me, I wonder how many are buying Bord Bia 'Irish' eggs from Northern Irl?

We import very few actually in ROI, its the chickens that are more confusing. You have to check that the Bord Bia symbol has a tricolour or not. If its just plain green its NI Chicken, if a Tricolour its ROI. Just check out the Tesco adds in the paper with Chickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DrHLecter

reply to original q.

anything from harvey norman on account of their ads.
    dell computers cause they relocated and im just kind of like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I enjoyed this thread until the last ten pages or so. Some idiot banging on about the sun boycott being wrong and some ****e about Chelsea being dragged into it. And this apple one isn't much better.

One brand i boycott is Primark/ Penneys. They have supposedly started to clean up their act i believe.

Reasons - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7824291.stm
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/80564

Side not - When i type in 'Penneys', the autocorrect aptly gives me the option to change it to 'Penis'. They are a pack of penises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

The Sun..As a liverpool fan i cannot stand that rag.
    Renault..Can't stand Bill Cullen..I don't care about scrappage...You will never see one penny of my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I remember when the Green sauce was up here, i didn't buy it.

It was supposed to be brown, but it was six years beyond its sell-by date when it was sent up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

BMW
    Merc
    Nissan

great cars and all but just dont want them :P

Mc Donalds ! i actually dont like their food :cool:

Tesco value crap also !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BBFlowerPotMen

Sony - Due to the whole geohot legal thing, i seen what they were trully like!
    Alienware - Absolute rip off.
    Dell - Gay
    Apple - Gay
    Microsoft - Too big etc.. but i just don't buy from them, i still like and use thier products.
    Domino's Pizza - ****ty cheap ingredients
    Jamie Olliver Foodstuffs - Mega gay crybaby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

SeaFields wrote: »
    Indo and Sindo.

This multiplied by infinity squared. Horrendous tabloid rags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dell - Gay

Same company

• Advertisement

Same company

I actually forgot that, that said they were always a rip, well before Dell bought them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Patchy~ wrote: »
    KFC, self-explanatory. I have a Sony laptop but I'd never buy another - the keys are falling off and my "one year warranty" covers accidental damage only (yeah I purposely ripped my fúcking keys off) and damage to the hard drive. In other words, accidental damage to the hard drive, which is next to impossible. They'd fix it for a few hundred euro. :mad:

Couldn't agree more. I'll never buy another Sony product. A while ago they said they would charge me €180 just to collect my laptop. The repair cost would be additional to that. I asked could I drop the laptop into them and they said that wasn't possible.

I have a lot of years of laptop buying left in me, and they won't be getting any of it and I'll tell as many people as possible about this cowboy rip-off on the part of Sony Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sony - Due to the whole geohot legal thing, i seen what they were trully like!
    Dell - Gay
    Apple - Gay
    Microsoft - Too big etc.. but i just don't buy from them, i still like and use thier products.
    Domino's Pizza - ****ty cheap ingredients
    Jamie Olliver Foodstuffs - Mega gay crybaby!

Welcome to boards, lots of silliness is tolerated, crappy jokes etc. But are you honestly using the word 'gay' to a describe a brand you don't like / think is crap? Some clarification would be helpful. Mods? Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Dell - Gay
    Apple - Gay

I'd consider homosexuality a positive when I buy a product. Very progressive altogether.

I'd consider homosexuality a positive when I buy a product. Very progressive altogether.

I don't mean it in the sense of homosexuality, defenitly as a negative describing the whole idea of the company.

I don't mean it in the sense of homosexuality, defenitly as a negative describing the whole idea of the company.

It was a bad idea to make gay products? I don't know, untapped market potential there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Gay! Ha ha. It's simpsons, he's gay, gay, so gay etc

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Gay! Ha ha. It's simpsons, he's gay, gay, so gay etc

I think you mean Southpark.. i never heard them say gay in The Simpsons.

I think you mean Southpark.. i never heard them say gay in The Simpsons.

It was when Nelson and Lisa went out. Jimbo Jones said it.

'You kissed a girl, that's so gay!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Great post! So how did the thesaurus taste? :p

Nice. Good. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Won't even walk into a Boots chemist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Lenovo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Budweiser and Budlite - a disgrace to beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

amjon. wrote: »
    Won't even walk into a Boots chemist.
    Nottingham's third greatest export after Raleigh and Forest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's only one brand I won't buy - Ballymaloe.

I was sickened by the way the family managed to brush the entire affair away in case it would destroy their business. Anecdotally, what was reported in the press about Tim Allen is not the full story.

I have a new product I'll now never buy, as of about 2 hours ago.

I took a sip from a bottle of Kerry Spring water, it tasted like the flu, for want of a better description - sort of dry and sickening.

I now feel like crap, bad headache, sore throat general unease.

I probably have mad cow disease or soemthing.

So Kerry Spring can go f*ck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Any fashion designers/labels/shops that use real fur for their clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Rachael Allen products

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement