Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

stovelid wrote: »
    Murdoch actually refused to sack McKenzie after the incident and gave him full support IIRC.

Not that I don't hate the Sun and their part in Hillsborough of course.

Unfortunately some still believe the lies because the Sun said it. Yep, people like that should be ignored but it's hurtful to the family members but there have been high profile examples, an American DJ just last year.

Remember the inquiry cleared Liverpool fans and couldn't find anything to back it up, despite their best efforts. The judge commended Liverpool fans on their reaction while officialdom was failing all around them. Some very brave police officers and emergency service personnel stood up and whistle blowed too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You wont buy coffee from Starbucks,but yet you will buy them from much bigger oil companies?

i love oil companies, i hate greenpeace and fair trade and isreal ,

starbucks - overpriced, tastes crap, fair trade sympathy wankery, the people who go there are knobs , pro isreal

oil companies - provides me the liquid to heat my gaf, run my jeep, plastics and other such, piss off hippys and petrol stations arent known places for hipster scum to hang out all day - unknown stance on isreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

starbucks - overpriced, tastes crap, fair trade sympathy wankery, the people who go there are knobs , pro isreal

oil companies - provides me the liquid to heat my gaf, run my jeep, plastics and other such, piss off hippys and petrol stations arent known places for hipster scum to hang out all day - unknown stance on isreal

is(this)real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I actually enjoy mentioning to people who support Liverpool but have never gone to Anfield that I buy The Sun (even though I don't-or any tabloids) and then listen to them rant on.

Loads of brands/services I don't buy. Too many to mention but honourable mention must go to kips like McDonalds/Burger King/Starbuck's.

Do people want our cities all to end up with the same crap on sale?

Cop the fuck on will youse? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

Anyone stay away from cosmetic companies that are known to test on animals like l'oreal? Testing for medical research i understand, but silly using it for cosmetics when in vitro testing is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

HARVEY fuckface NORMAN!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Nike. It's because of their sweatshops but as an added bonus I get to avoid looking like an idiot with a brand name brandished across my chest. I think it was Will Self that said something like "If I'm going to walk around with a logo I should be paid for advertising your products". He put it better than that but I forget the exact words he used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another Sony boycotter here. I was already annoyed at their pricing, and their tendency to introduce new media formats instead of going along with the standards, and/or try to control media format. Sometimes it backfires on them e.g. Betamax was around for years before VHS, and was a good format, but Sony's proprietary attitude meant that they lost that race. MiniDisc? Bleh. Memory Stick? Got lost between Compact Flash and SD - unless you bought a Sony product that needed it.

Sometimes they win a format war: Blu-Ray is a Sony format, and they get royalties from every disc and player sold. (As if I needed another reason to not go HD?). But the last straw, for me, was when they put a rootkit virus on some audio CDs, silently hacking your PC as soon as you put the disc in the drive, and all in the name of copyright protection. That was it: I had never bought a Sony product, and now I never will. :mad:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I won't fly Ryanair anymore, not through any moralistic principle, but I'm a nervous flyer

Thats fair enough

Sinfonia wrote: »
    and after becoming pretty comfortable with flying with Aer Lingus for a while, I then took a Ryanair flight and spent two hours panicking. Just felt really unsafe up there, like the walls were paper thin or something. Again, not necessarily disparaging the airline

The walls on any Airliner regardless of who Operates them are pretty much of the same thickness. Ryanair operate the Boeing 737-800 one of the most widely used/successful/ and safest Aircraft around, AerLingus also operate safe Aircraft ( Airbus A330/A320 etc ) and have Operated Boeing Aircraft in the past.

Why exactly did you panic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Nike. It's because of their sweatshops but as an added bonus I get to avoid looking like an idiot with a brand name brandished across my chest. I think it was Will Self that said something like "If I'm going to walk around with a logo I should be paid for advertising your products". He put it better than that but I forget the exact words he used.

Get off the high horse ffs, if people like a brand,there's nothing wrong with them walking around with it plastered all over them

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

PC World. Not a particular brand but i will not buy anything ever again in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

11 pages in, and no one has mentioned o2 Ireland yet?

Crap upgrade policies
    New customers get better offers than loyal for years ones
    Changed their contract details recently in a stealth move
    charge Paddy way more than UK customers from better bundled deals
    Used to offer free roaming when in UK, subsequently pulled this offer because they could!
    Charge waaaay too much for crap Inc mins/text deals
    Don't offer prepay customers data addons
    General fückpots all round!

I could go on all day, but they really are a shower of goalpost moving, money grabbing whores!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ghandee wrote: »
    11 pages in, and no one has mentioned o2 Ireland yet?

Crap upgrade policies
    New customers get better offers than loyal for years ones
    Changed their contract details recently in a stealth move
    charge Paddy way more than UK customers from better bundled deals
    Used to offer free roaming when in UK, subsequently pulled this offer because they could!
    Charge waaaay too much for crap Inc mins/text deals
    Don't offer prepay customers data addons
    General fückpots all round!

I could go on all day, but they really are a shower of goalpost moving, money grabbing whores!

Do you think that might have anything to do with the cost of doing business in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Do you think that might have anything to do with the cost of doing business in this country?

of course not. rabble rabble rabble!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Nope, I think its because they're a crowd of money grabbing whores!
    Just like I said in my post!

Doh !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Maccy ds and starbucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Spat coke everywhere reading that. Fine work as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

Brennan's Bread, just because I hate the guy in their ads so much.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Nope, I think its because they're a crowd of money grabbing whores!
    Just like I said in my post!

Doh !

Sometimes I really don't like AH :(;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 windowgobo

If i boycotted every unethical company i would have an empty fridge, so i focus my energy on crimes against humanity... Monsanto.

Pat the Baker :(:(:(:(:(

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I actually enjoy mentioning to people who support Liverpool but have never gone to Anfield that I buy The Sun (even though I don't-or any tabloids) and then listen to them rant on.

Aren't you quite the attention seeker.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So fcuking annoying its famous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't "boycott" any brand. If I like it and they provide it cheap I'll take it. I don't care if Hitler squeezes my orange juice and Josef Fritzl pours it in to the carton, if it's a cent cheaper than Tropico and tastes nicer they have my business. I buy products based on the product itself not it's manufacturers's back story.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So fcuking annoying its famous...

Its the fat bloke delivering the bread that puts me off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Skoda (aka VW) and Delta.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Would you wind up people about 9/11? Relative to the size of the cities, they were on the same scale
    Its the fat bloke delivering the bread that puts me off :(

Ah its the song for me. I'm not really like them in the video, I'm not in the habit of breaking in to song's about bread spontaneously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Sharp, vodafone, AIG, Aon, Umbro and any other brand associated with that club.

The average Irish person boycotting AIG and Aon is kinda like giving up selection boxes for lent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Irish Independent, because they continue to give David Quinn a mouthpiece at least once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Not really a brand but I cross the road to avoid any Health Food Shops or any of that Altenative Medicene ****e..Also stupid Faith healers..

And Burger King..Cause the 'King' guy is beyond freaky.
    :mad:

Spat coke everywhere reading that. Fine work as usual!

i aim to please :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not brand as such but i buy as much irish produce as i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

ive never gone near American Apparel - since reading an article about a girl who worked there. she had lost an arm from the elbow so she wore a prosthetic. their staff 'uniform' at the time was black slacks and shortsleeve white top. they wouldnt let her show the elbow or something like that - as it didnt fit in with their all american wholesome image. this was prob a decade ago. so ive never gone in there because of the attitude.

i avoid ryanair for the usual reasons - and theyre also very iffy about helping people with wheelchairs and who need assistance (from their FAQ) - maybe its different in practice. but remember that time they tried to introduce the wheelchair levy? a good a reason as any for me to give them the swerve (mums in a chair)

i dont boycott any other brands though... i wont be going near 3 again after my experiences but i dont think its a boycott unless they have something you want (but may or may not get elsewhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Jacobs. That new add is sickening. Cadburys, americans can't make anything right. That now includes chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Liverpool fans, are you actually saying you would but the sun if it wasn't for hillsborough?
    I'd avoid abercrombie because I believe its a wanker company that makes clothes for ****.
    anything that focuses on itself being 'green'

+1

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Liverpool fans, are you actually saying you would but the sun if it wasn't for hillsborough?

Circulation of the paper in Liverpool has apparently dropped by 200,000 copies to just 12,000 copies daily in Liverpool. Its not just Liverpool fans either, none of my Evertonian mates would buy it. That would seem to suggest that yea they would

Personally, I only buy a paper a few times a week. I'm not particularly fussy about what I buy, I like the Star for the sports crossword, the herald for the Dublin stuff, maybe if the Sun hadent told the lies that they did, I would have bought that from time to time

ive never looked into it , but just to say even if the sun were lying, fair balls on them to go and announce the negative side of something , im sick of the media taking 1 side and forgiving all when things happen eg. micheal jackson died - no mention of kiddy fiddling in the reports, gerry ryan died - nobody mentioned cocaine for a week , jade goody - nobody mentioned how much of a looper or racist she is , the sun may have lied but atleast they didnt just lay down and give the 'everyones innocent this is terrible' attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

ive never looked into it , but just to say even if the sun were lying, fair balls on them to go and announce the negative side of something , im sick of the media taking 1 side and forgiving all when things happen eg. micheal jackson died - no mention of kiddy fiddling in the reports, gerry ryan died - nobody mentioned cocaine for a week , jade goody - nobody mentioned how much of a looper or racist she is , the sun may have lied but atleast they didnt just lay down and give the 'everyones innocent this is terrible' attitude

The Sun is a rag for morons, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The Sun - Hillsborough
    Apple - I generally find you can get a better/equal product for cheaper so why bother. I also dislike all the fanboy crap that Apple seems to draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't shop in Supervalu
    For taking a job and turning it into cheap labour.
    The WPP was not meant for this
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/thebatoneffect/FAS/seva.jpg

Standman wrote: »
    The Sun is a rag for morons, end of.

this is true, would just have been nice if the times or another paper had have carried the negative aspects and didnt pretend that everyone is innocent all the time

They swallowed the police lies, not a brave decision at all, they just went with the official line.

So did the radio, BBC for example, they quickly copped what was happening. The Sun printed it while Liverpool was burying their dead and despite others retracting it, they stood behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The evening Herald.....the paper is a rag and the so called ''journalists'' that write for it are walter mitty types that make up stories and invent ''sources'' to fill the article with more fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

this is true, would just have been nice if the times or another paper had have carried the negative aspects and didnt pretend that everyone is innocent all the time

what Negative aspects? all that stuff the sun printed were lies...theres a reason why both liverpool and everton fans have boycotted the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

The Sun. What an absolute abomination and rag of a "newspaper".

KFC - animal cruelty

McDonalds - animal cruelty, and it annoys me how they try to be so healthy nowadays with their McSalads and what not. :mad: You're a fatty fast food chain and nothing more; get over it.

Loreal (and quite a few other make up brands etc) - animal testing

Abercrombie - ridiculously overpriced, size zero clothes and seem to only employ conventionally pretty and size zero people.

Nestle -palm oil and baby scandal- easy for me, as their chocolate tastes cheap anyway.

Any eggs/mayonnaise etc which aren't free range.

96 fans were crushed to death in a football stadium. The Sun printed the following, all of which was subsequently found to be untrue:

“The Truth.
    Some fans picked pockets of victims
    Some fans urinated on the brave cops
    Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

Four days after the tragedy, friends and family of the victims as well as survivors were confronted by this.

But fair balls to them you say? Thats a disgusting attitude IMO

major bill wrote: »
    what Negative aspects? all that stuff the sun printed were lies...theres a reason why both liverpool and everton fans have boycotted the paper.

i havent really looked into this specific case, i know f*ck all about it, i was just complaining about how papers take the safe line and call everyone innocent in it, atleast the sun went with a line that pointed to the negative aspects of the victims reaction

although retracting it would have been a good idea when actually proved wrong

i havent really looked into this specific case, i know f*ck all about it,

Well then maybe you should keep your fcuking opinions to yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Scoda (aka VW) and Delta.

Skoda will be relieved you still like them though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement