Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

laros wrote: »

I have read that book, it put me off Coca Cola for a while, but it tastes too f*cking nice too give up entirely. But I only have the odd can once in a while. They truly are a shower of c*nts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i havent really looked into this specific case, i know f*ck all about it, i was just complaining about how papers take the safe line and call everyone innocent in it, atleast the sun went with a line that pointed to the negative aspects of the victims reaction

although retracting it would have been a good idea when actually proved wrong

It's the Sun. Seriously.

Stop trying to be controversial and use your head and cop on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Volvic water...specifically because of this....

"Just took 5 minutes of work and goin to have a cheeky volvic".

A cheeky fucking volvic? are you fuckin serious? You absolute cunt. I actually have picked up a bottle of it in the shop,remembered this ad,put it back and picked up a different brand of water. Wankers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

K-9 wrote: »
    It's the Sun. Seriously.

Stop trying to be controversial and use your head and cop on.

im not tryign to be anything , im going to be honest i dont really care about what peoples reasons against the sun in this case are, i dont read the sun and dont care what they print , when proved wrong they should have retracted it , and it was sad that innocent people died etc...

my problem is with newspapers being afraid to blame anybody or mention older newsworthy things in situations like this , for instance gerry ryans death, not a single paper mentioned a possibility that his cocaine use could have caused his death etc... its almost like somebody dying absolves them from all previous wrongdoing in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Israeli products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

, for instance gerry ryans death, not a single paper mentioned a possibility that his cocaine use could have caused his death etc...

You wait for the Coroners report.

You don't start mentioning possibilities unless you want to get sued and dragged to the courts like Independent newspapers and their story on Liam Lawlor and his translator.
    And they deserved to get sued!

You wait for the Coroners report.

You don't start mentioning possibilities unless you want to get sued and dragged to the courts like Independent newspapers and their story on Liam Lawlor and his translator.
    And they deserved to get sued!

if youve previously printed the posibilities then your fairly clear , if the sun honestly believed they had accurate info then they were right to print it rather than pretend everything was all sad and innocent , their mistake was not retracting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I refuse to buy/read the Sunday World - last time I read it there was an article about being offered extra's during a massage but they "made their excuses and left and something about being a family newspaper" - however towards the back of the paper there was a page and a half of phone/chat/sex lines being advertised!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

Ford (I worked for them and they were terrible to work for. So I can never like their products. I don't care how good they are)

BMW (I don't want to be associated with their brand image. If I had a choice it would be a Merecedes any day)

Irish Independent

RTE (avoid as much as possible)

O2

• Advertisement

News of the World

"Hi I'm a groupie/wannabe and I slept with Robbie Williams or some other celebrity." Robbie is just an obvious example, there are others

I'm here to sell my story of what happened. I can tell it realy meant a lot for both of us but don't read my story and mistake me as low class for this kiss n'tell

And here is a picture of me dressed scantily yet strategically covered up.

I don't want to be appear slutty for this and I'd just die if my parents found out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

The Scum Newspaper

In their history of The Sun, Peter Chippendale and Chris Horrie wrote:

As MacKenzie's layout was seen by more and more people, a collective shudder ran through the office (but) MacKenzie's dominance was so total there was nobody left in the organisation who could rein him in except Murdoch. (Everyone in the office) seemed paralysed - "looking like rabbits in the headlights" - as one hack described them. The error staring them in the face was too glaring. It obviously wasn't a silly mistake; nor was it a simple oversight. Nobody really had any comment on it —they just took one look and went away shaking their heads in wonder at the enormity of it. It was a 'classic smear'.

Kelvin McKenzie is the lowest of all life on this planet.

News of the World

"Hi I'm Sharon/Jacinta/whatever and I spelt with Robbie Williams or some other celebrity." Robbie is just an obvious example, there are others

I'm here to sell my story of what happened.

And here is a picture of me dressed scantily yet strategically covered up.

I don't want to be appear slutty for this and I'd just die if my parents found out :rolleyes:

i love spelling with all those celebrities

yeah and I went back and corrected it

Have a read of your own posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I do my damnedest to boycott any company associated with Israel namely Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Starbucks, Nestle, Danone, M & S, Nokia.

Also boycott Sky, the English Premier League, and any British tabloid.

All of the above products I can manage just fine without.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    I do my damnedest to boycott any company associated with Israel

Do you boycott Intel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

tesco and the daily mail

both are disgusting organisations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Aishae wrote: »
    ive never gone near American Apparel - since reading an article about a girl who worked there. she had lost an arm from the elbow so she wore a prosthetic. their staff 'uniform' at the time was black slacks and shortsleeve white top. they wouldnt let her show the elbow or something like that - as it didnt fit in with their all american wholesome image. this was prob a decade ago. so ive never gone in there because of the attitude.

You sure you don't mean Abercrombie & Fitch? American Apparel is far from the "all american wholesome image". And it was 2009.

I think a lot of people are confusing boycott with dislike. Not buying an Apple product because you think they're crap isn't boycotting, it's just not buying from them. It's like if you hate Mars bars and you decide to give them up for Lent :) I think boycotting is more active, and means you kind of have to go out of your way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Not all brands exactly but:
    • Animal products.
    • Apple.
    • Coca-cola.
    • Nestlé.
    • Go Compare (because of the ads).
    • Most fast food places.
    • Bottled water. I think it's ridiculous to buy something of which you can get a cleaner version for free, although I will buy one if I need a bottle.
    • Heroin.
    • The Catholic Church.

Probably a couple more. I'm curious as to the reasoning for the seemingly popular Israeli boycotts. I'm well aware of the actions of the government but why is this not applied to countries such as the USA? Surely the whole population is not to be blamed for actions of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

fairtrade products - nothing is that pure. I think there is hype surrounding it. There is some exploitation there somewhere.

African charities generally.

Holland & barrett

Tescos

What is link between starbucks, mobile phones and israel?

What happened with dunlop, motorbike accident and newspapers?

On person who mentioned ryanair and safety. They are the most safety conscious airline. Impressive record

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Dell
    Microsoft
    Any clothing brand worn by anyone who attends trinity college or lives in most of south dublin
    philips electronics
    pretty much anything sold in brown thomas
    aer lingus
    anythig with 'fair trade' on it
    anything that focuses on itself being 'green'
    anything running android
    Back the shit up man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

tommyhaas wrote: »
    It was the S*n that published the lies and the S*n that subsequently refused to apologise for the disgusting and offensive headlines

The point about the Murdoch empire can be argued, but diluting the boycott, like it or not, makes it far more difficult to enforce

There are hundreds of Murdoch controlled publications and broadcasters. To boycott them all would be near impossible. By maintaining the boycott of the S*n, it maintains a stronger message

Campaigns for justice for the 96 who died are still on going. Hillsborough is a highly emotive topic for many. I don't know are you attempting to belittle the boycott or what your agenda is, however I personally feel the extent to which the boycott has been maintained demonstrates the level of the feeling behind it.

There's others on here, notably Kess73 and Dub13 who are far more knowledgeable on the topic, and in touch with the campaigns then myself, and who could probably explain this better having more personal connections to the City

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

I boycott* The Daily Heil (I couldn't believe it when they launched their Irish edition ... is that what the Celtic Tiger did to some people in this country?). As woeful as the Indo is, and let's face it the Irish Times is no great shakes - they look like masterpieces of journalism compared to the Mail. Redtops (The Scum, The Star, The Heddild) are bogroll which cannot be classed as newspapers.

* I'm a total hypocrite here as very occasionally, via a hyperlink from another website, I enter the world of the Mail reader. It's like a car crash, as vile as it is - you can't help but look. If you look at the comments sections, it really gives an insight into the violent, hateful eugenicists who read it. Quite often they're complaining that the Heil doesn't go far enough!

I agree with Russel Turing, Bottled Water is a total scam. Remember that ad - Riverrock, water you wear. Aaaaaggggghhhh!!! Like water is a lifestyle choice, it's borderline offensive. Never had a problem drinking tapwater in Ireland. Why do people shell out cash to buy brands of water? I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the marketing meeting of one of those water brands.

"So Fintan, whash demographic are we aiming for loike?"
    "Mmm, Jeremy, you know, loike the people who need wausher - but nosh poor people or unfashionable people"

You might as well be drinking 'spunk' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I buy water most days and I don't see a problem with it. Until I have a tap installed in my car/office/park then bottled water is the healthiest option.

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I buy water most days and I don't see a problem with it. Until I have a tap installed in my car/office/park then bottled water is the healthiest option.

Why don't you keep the bottle, or a couple of them - then fill them up at home and put them in the fridge? Most offices have taps or water coolers. It's your money though, but then again if you own a park, money isn't probably too big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

I live in Beijing.
    I need bottled water.

I welcome anyone to come here and drink the tap water though.
    Have fun with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nike - Never liked their stuff, clothes, runners etc, etc,

Apple - Dont like the fanboyism surronding their products and the last iPod I bought was faulty, got it repaired that was faulty too, stopped using Apple.

Dell - Very annoying to deal with if something goes wrong. Funnily enoug all our monitors, desktops, laptops, hardware in work are Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

cml387 wrote: »
    Boring but necessary explanation:

Nestle relentlessly marketed powdered milk in African countries.Mothers used their products rather than breast milk.
    Problem was the water being used to make up the feed was badly polluted in most cases.
    Hence dead babies.

Id blame it on idiot mothers tbh

But then again people prefer not to take responsibility for their own errors and instead blame anybody/anything else.

As for products I refuse to use Sony, company has gone downhill with their products in the last 5+ years.

Tesco branded food as its usually muck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't get the Nestlé thing. How exactly does Nestlé prevent wome from breast feeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Id blame it on idiot mothers tbh

But then again people prefer not to take responsibility for their own errors and instead blame anybody/anything else.

As for products I refuse to use Sony, company has gone downhill with their products in the last 5+ years.

Tesco branded food as its usually muck.

what? no, these mothers were told it was better than breast milk for their kids, they were completely misslead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Alot of people Avoiding the Sun for the Hilsborough Disaster story- which is understandable. There was alot of lies wrote in that paper and it wouldnt be the first or last time lies where printed in the Sun.

But Liverpool Fans have a short memory when it come to the Heysel Disaster- and when a few months back Malachy Clerkin criticised Liverpool fans for what happened at Heysel, Newstalk where inundated with calls complaining and saying they wouldnt be listenening to the sports show unless there was an apology. What he said was fine in my eyes- most of the fans that died where Itlaians. So i have now came to the conclusion you cant criticise Liverpool FC - there fans will boycott you. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Fair trade coffee and the Sun newspaper.

I don't get the Nestlé thing. How exactly does Nestlé prevent wome from breast feeding?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestle_boycott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

The Scum Newspaper

In their history of The Sun, Peter Chippendale and Chris Horrie wrote:

As MacKenzie's layout was seen by more and more people, a collective shudder ran through the office (but) MacKenzie's dominance was so total there was nobody left in the organisation who could rein him in except Murdoch. (Everyone in the office) seemed paralysed - "looking like rabbits in the headlights" - as one hack described them. The error staring them in the face was too glaring. It obviously wasn't a silly mistake; nor was it a simple oversight. Nobody really had any comment on it —they just took one look and went away shaking their heads in wonder at the enormity of it. It was a 'classic smear'.

Kelvin McKenzie is the lowest of all life on this planet.
    Here here. A disgusting sub human of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

guinness

what? no, these mothers were told it was better than breast milk for their kids, they were completely misslead.

But they knew that the water was dirty right?

Now, if they were told that this magical formula cleaned the water or whatnot then fair enough they were mislead but otherwise...........

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Alot of people Avoiding the Sun for the Hilsborough Disaster story- which is understandable. There was alot of lies wrote in that paper and it wouldnt be the first or last time lies where printed in the Sun.

But Liverpool Fans have a short memory when it come to the Heysel Disaster- and when a few months back Malachy Clerkin criticised Liverpool fans for what happened at Heysel, Newstalk where inundated with calls complaining and saying they wouldnt be listenening to the sports show unless there was an apology. What he said was fine in my eyes- most of the fans that died where Itlaians. So i have now came to the conclusion you cant criticise Liverpool FC - there fans will boycott you. :confused:

The scouser's boycotting it is one thing but the wannabe scousers over here doing the same is embarrasing, just trying to make themselves seem more in with Liverpool and actual fans. I wouldn't buy the sun because it's muck no other reason, newspapers print lies every day ffs.

Lyle & Scott.

But they knew that the water was dirty right?

no, these countries had very low literacy levels, they did not have the adequate knowledge about how sanitary the water was, nor could many of them read the instructions on the tin.

Nestle have now been added to my list.

Apple are one i seem to avoid- have yet to make one single purchase

Philips - after my LCD tv stopped working after a year- no warrenty

I avoid Brands like La coste because only Knackers seem to wear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Abercrombie, because of their appalling racism. ( they had a t-shirt with a slogan "two wongs don't make a white"

(EDIT; Hilfiger comment removed after correction.)

Apple, because they tell the customer what they want. The company reads like 1984 the way they market their products. Their is no personalisation, choice, free movement of your own data etc. They also charge a fortune for basically a Fisher Price phone compared to the competition.

Sky, because I will not give a cent to any company that is owned or part owned by the disgrace to humanity that is, Rupert Murdoch. The same can be said for all other biased newspapers that lobby for political parties and feature pictures of "lovely girls" at a horse race and try to pass that off as front page news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't buy Coca-Cola products, since they're tyrants.

*drinks from bottle of Deep Riverrock*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Carling because they sponsor the gers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Tommy Hilfiger, for the same reason, he said his clothes weren't designed with black people in mind.

No he didn't:
    http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/hilfiger.asp

Carling because they sponsor the gers

I have come bad news for you......:D

no, these countries had very low literacy levels, they did not have the adequate knowledge about how sanitary the water was, nor could many of them read the instructions on the tin.

A come on, of course they knew the water was poisonous. Do you really think they lived with the stuff and didnt question it???? Nestle are a bunch of fcukers but the parents have to accept responsibility too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I love Macs and have used them for years, and would love to buy the iPhone 5, but don't feel I can, in conscience, because of the conditions in the Foxconn factories in China.

I've always admired Apple for their working conditions, so when the working conditions of their programmers in well-off western countries contrast so viciously with those of the factory workers who put together their products, I have to back off from them.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/is-apples-suicide-factory-outsourcing-to-even-cheaper-chinese-peasants/9537

A real pity; I had such respect for Apple as a good company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I don't think it's possible to live guilt free in the west.

Coke and Nestle are clearly evil, but they make some tasty products and you don't succeed in business on the scale they are at without being a bit evil.

If companies don't employ kids in the 3rd world, what else are those kids going to do, go to school while their families starve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Always endeavour to buy Irish where applicable.

Refuse to buy any tabloid newspapers, Ben and jerrys & Dell computers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

KeithAFC wrote: »
    guinness
    Your thoughts on Murphy's and Beamish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

never buy a Sharp tv, they suck

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement