Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

I dont have brand problems I mainly try buy irish.

However i will not shop in Dunnes Stores

Because the difference is we NOT irish

me too but its because every time i go in there the person at the till would rather turn and talk to their friend behind them instead of doing their job, then they stick their hand out and wait for me to pay even though i dont know how much i owe, and then afterwards they just point at the receipt printer and say 'theres your receipt'- okay now you hand it to me please!

rant over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Last time I checked the vile Kelvin MacKenzie was still writing a column.

Abercrombie and Fitch, definitely after reading the story about the girl who was fired for having a prosthetic arm and not fitting the look of the staff who all seem to be dead eyed, size zero clones of each other.

Also Barclays bank in the UK, allegedly using customers cash for arms deals.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/southcoast/2009/11/442271.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm confused by pople saying they dont buy Israeli goods. How are you posting on this website without a computer or a mobile phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Last time I checked the vile Kelvin MacKenzie was still writing a column.

Abercrombie and Fitch, definitely after reading the story about the girl who was fired for having a prosthetic arm and not fitting the look of the staff who all seem to be dead eyed, size zero clones of each other.

Also Barclays bank in the UK, allegedly using customers cash for arms deals.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/southcoast/2009/11/442271.html

thank you - i mixed american apparel up with abercrombie - id been avoiding american apparel since i read that story but ive never gone to abercrombie. neither have clothes id wear these days anyway

Story about the girl who took on Abercrombie and Fitch here, good on her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8200140.stm

Plus their clothes seem to be mostly worn by posers anyway. Their London store is full of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Apple. I don't do religious cults.

RyanAir. Except sometimes I can't avoid them, which is really annoying (if there is a choice I'll always try to take the alternative though).

Dunnes Stores. Because I don't like racist advertising. And they're a bit ****.

Tescos. But only when I'm in the UK, because they're too powerful (£1 in every £6 on the UK high street is spent in Tescos), but I do shop with them here, because, see above (and Super Quinn are eye-wateringly expensive).

dpe wrote: »
    Apple. I don't do religious cults.

RyanAir. Except sometimes I can't avoid them, which is really annoying (if there is a choice I'll always try to take the alternative though).

Tescos. But only when I'm in the UK, because they're too powerful (£1 in every £6 on the UK high street is spent in Tescos), but I do shop with them here, because, see above (and Super Quinn are eye-wateringly expensive).

What was all that about? I'm not based in Ireland so had no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

"The difference is we're Irish"
    You find that racist? :confused:
    Or is it something else?

Sure Marks & Spencers proudly sell British beef and Scottish fish here, put the union flag on their products and nobody complains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm confused by pople saying they dont buy Israeli goods. How are you posting on this website without a computer or a mobile phone?

Let's be honest: the majority of boycotts in a consumer society are vague, well-intentioned lifestyle gestures that tend to collapse embarrassingly under close scrutiny. Most people tend to select one bête noire (like McDonalds, Microsoft and Starbucks) with just enough abhorrence to ease the guilt of their numerous other (no less consequence-free) consumer preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I don't buy the independent, the sun, the mail, most of the redtops. I'd only really buy the times and foreign newspapers tbh
    I don't and won't shop in tesco. Hate the place.
    American apparel: i refuse to pay €30 for a plain t-shirt

• Advertisement

"The difference is we're Irish"
    You find that racist? :confused:
    Or is it something else?

Sure Marks & Spencers proudly sell British beef and Scottish fish here, put the union flag on their products and nobody complains.

Saying the "difference is we're Irish" doesn't give them some intrinsic extra worth (and I notice they don't try that **** on when they advertise up north). I have no problem with a farmer pointing out his products are local, I have no problem with Dunnes doing that, but they sell just as many foreign products as any other supermarket, they just do it wrapped in a tricolour. I'd call shenanigans if a British company tried to pull that as well (they used to - the likes of Austin Rover, it just became shorthand for "badly made crap that we can't sell any other way so we'll appeal to your misplaced sense of patriotism").

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

stovelid wrote: »
    Let's be honest: the majority of boycotts in a consumer society are vague, well-intentioned lifestyle gestures that tend to collapse embarrassingly under close scrutiny. Most people tend to select one bête noire (like McDonalds, Microsoft and Starbucks) with just enough abhorrence to ease the guilt of their numerous other (no less consequence-free) consumer preferences.

True. But I'd still like to know why so many people have a particular gripe with Israel. What's especially bad about that country? I'm well aware of the government's lebensraum policies but how does that reflect on the whole country and why is that any worse than the numerous crimes committed by other governments? I fear it is a case of people picking an enemy and not really thinking about it but I'd like to hear from someone who supports an Israeli boycott.

Saying the "difference is we're Irish" doesn't give them some intrinsic extra worth (and I notice they don't try that **** on when they advertise up north). I have no problem with a farmer pointing out his products are local, I have no problem with Dunnes doing that, but they sell just as many foreign products as any other supermarket, they just do it wrapped in a tricolour. I'd call shenanigans if a British company tried to pull that as well (they used to - the likes of Austin Rover, it just became shorthand for "badly made crap that we can't sell any other way so we'll appeal to your misplaced sense of patriotism").

i always gathered it referred to all operations being based here (head office etc) not the products being irish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The people boasting about their Israeli boycott are probably doing it on computers with Intel products ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

For those of you that do boycotting do you eat Kellogg's cereals?

This from Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (co-founder):
    Kellogg worked on the rehabilitation of masturbators, often employing extreme measures, even mutilation, on both sexes. He was an advocate of circumcising young boys to curb masturbation and applying phenol (carbolic acid) to a young woman's clitoris. In his Plain Facts for Old and Young,[7] he wrote
    “ A remedy which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision, especially when there is any degree of phimosis. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment, as it may well be in some cases. The soreness which continues for several weeks interrupts the practice, and if it had not previously become too firmly fixed, it may be forgotten and not resumed. ”
    and
    “ In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid [phenol] to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement. ”
    He also recommended, to prevent children from this "solitary vice", bandaging or tying their hands, covering their genitals with patented cages, sewing the foreskin shut and electrical shock.[7]

(from wikipedia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

True. But I'd still like to know why so many people have a particular gripe with Israel. What's especially bad about that country? I'm well aware of the government's lebensraum policies but how does that reflect on the whole country and why is that any worse than the numerous crimes committed by other governments? I fear it is a case of people picking an enemy and not really thinking about it but I'd like to hear from someone who supports an Israeli boycott.

I guess because boycotts have helped to contribute to the end of oppressive regimes in the past and to hit a country where it hurts is usually a good form of protest. Also much of its produce is grown on confiscated Palestinian land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Nothing from Israel enters my home... Father's only law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

do you think theyd feed their children poison intentionally. theyre told the formula is better than their breast milk, they are given it free in hospital and once they leave have to pay for it, now that their lactation has been hampered by a reliance on the formula from day one they have little choice but to use the formula. now if they could mix that with evian im sure they would have. sorry but the finger of blame remains at nestle.

What water are these women drinking themselves? If they are not drinkign the poisenous water why are they giving it to their kids in forumla? If they are drinkign it then it's going to go to the kids anyway.

Smacks of some ridiculous anti nestle or anti "big company" agenda by crusties.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

optogirl wrote: »
    I guess because boycotts have helped to contribute to the end of oppressive regimes in the past and to hit a country where it hurts is usually a good form of protest. Also much of its produce is grown on confiscated Palestinian land.

Yeah I was thinking that, what with the South African boycotts during Apartheid. I just think it's strange to single out Israel when their military financiers invade countries on a whim. And if you want to be specific, all of its produce is grown on confiscated Palestinian land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Auvers wrote: »
    are you being serious :confused:

Apple more bang for your buck

me hole

a mac pro will act as a decent graphics / video workstation for 4-5 years easily with just more ram and software updates

a windows based workstation such as a dell optiplex etc.. which costs the same will be defunkt after 3 years and probably have a graphics card change and a new power supply in that time

cost per year in the life of a machine , apple works out cheaper for my customers. im ofcourse referencing the high end, at consumer level apple machines are too pricy and highly specced for most users needs and everything really only has a 2 year lifespan in consumer world anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Won't buy any brand which has the company logo printed on the outside of the garment. I can never understand why people pay a fortune to advertise for these companies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

keano_afc wrote: »

You've not heard of Intel's largest competitor, AMD?

Besides, Intel is an American company with many maufacturing plants - why is everyone banging on about Israel in relation to Intel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Why don't you keep the bottle, or a couple of them - then fill them up at home and put them in the fridge? Most offices have taps or water coolers. It's your money though, but then again if you own a park, money isn't probably too big a deal.

The park is not in fact my own so apologies for that misleading statement. There is no drinking water at work and I'm not organised enough to be filling bottles in advance.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    For those of you that do boycotting do you eat Kellogg's cereals?

This from Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (co-founder):
    (from wikipedia)

One problem with that; John Harvey Kellogg didn't found Kellogg's cereals. Its a common myth. WK Kellogg worked with his brother at the Battle Creek Sanitorium and they worked together on cereal ideas, but WK started the company on his own, and actually they had a reputation as one of the more progressive employers of their day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Kold wrote: »
    MCD as much as I can. I think they ruin the live music industry in Ireland.

Based on? Last time I checked they promoted it ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ARCO petrol (owned by BP), because of the safety negligence that resulted in the Gulf oil spill a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What I want to know, is how the hell capitalism has lasted so long with all these boycotts!! I feel kinda left out that I'm not in the middle of boycotting a product.

Oh, and it's not really "on principle" if you boycott a product because you think it's poorly made, or over-priced.

HxGH wrote: »

How can you be sure? Israel produces a huge amount of high tech components for the IT industry. Your ability to post that message probably relies on some Israeli made compnents in your computer.

Also, in terms of the Nestle boycott, did tyhe company force these African mothers to buy their product? Surely people can't be so outraged over the fact thay they advertised their wares?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Yahew wrote: »
    There is a general GroupThink about RyanAir too. I have used about 20 different Airlines in my time, and RyanAir is the one which hasn't let me down. Its also the reason why travel in Europe is cheap.

Ryanair's use of subterfuge is the problem. No one would give a **** about the tin can and the hotch-potch service if the charges were transparent and fair, they're not. It's unnecessary. If they transparently put €50 on the price of every flight I don't think people would complain. They actually have great staff who are fully hamstrung by ridiculous work practices that alienate them from the consumer. It is unfair on both sides. coupled with the excessive charges on draconian bag limits, the confusing and often times misleading ticketing systems and the bitching about the ash cloud, it's all too much really.

Where possible I avoid Ryanair like the plague, but I fully respect the fact that they provide a popular service that many people are happy with.

• Advertisement

MCD

The Star, after they pretty much libelled my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

HxGH wrote: »

A good few people have mentioned Israel, do they have a significant manufacturing industry and export business ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Boycott shampoo.

Demand the REAL POO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Not really a brand but i dont eat Cod because its an endangered species

You have a greater chance of never eating cod by actually ordering cod.

what happened with nestle in africa was also a long time ago.
    have their practices improved since then? the boycotting back then probably worked on improving the advertising practices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Generally try and avoid any Rupert Murdoch owned new sources. Don't like the idea of a single person having that much control over the media.
    Pretty easy to avoid reading the Sun or watching Sky/Fox News. Slightly miss The Times though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Black Swan wrote: »
    ARCO petrol (owned by BP), because of the safety negligence that resulted in the Gulf oil spill a year ago.

Have you any experience or examples of BP showing neglect towards safety, or are just jumping on the bandwagon of popular opinion?

I worked at sea with BP for a number of years, and I cant tell you that I never once saw the company neglect safety. Infact, BP are probably one of, if not the most proactive in trying to reduce the number of onboard accidents, and I say that having sailed with a number of different companies. BP's safety regulations are also generally far more stringent then the industry requirements

Now I'm not saying that they have never in their history neglected safety, there could be others who have worked for them who have a different view point, however within shipping where I worked there was always a strong and progressive culture of safety from those working ashore to those of us at sea

Your making reference there to the Gulf of Mexico disaster, but your concern is for the oil that was spilt. Without taking away from the seriousness of that, an issue deserving greater attention for me is that 11 men died in that explosion.

Whats important to consider though is that it was a third party contractor, whose work caused the explosion and hence the spill. This is of course, still the responsibility of BP, as they employed the contractor but to suggest that it was as a result of a BP neglect towards safety is IMO incorrect

If you want to boycott BP/ARCO well fair enough, but at least clarify the real reason's why

Blisterman wrote: »
    Generally try and avoid any Rupert Murdoch owned new sources. Don't like the idea of a single person having that much control over the media.
    Pretty easy to avoid reading the Sun or watching Sky/Fox News. Slightly miss The Times though.

Wouldn't it be more effective to set up, or participate, in a pressure group to get a particular government to change the law regarding media ownership? Not sure boycotting Murdoch's outlets will have much of an effect. Also, would you boycott Denis O'Briens media titles? I'd imagine he's a far greater danger to diversity and balance in the Irish media than Murdoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Karsini wrote: »

The Star, after they pretty much libelled my brother.

Have to ask.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I bet Dolmio sauces wish they did not have an add on this tread right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Kelloggs country store because it makes me fart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dudeschmood

nestlé for same reasons - killing babies!! also not mad about buying stuff targeted at kids ya know like disney and say jonas brothers have to have every type of merchandise, well i deliberately wouldnt buy any of it even though my cousins a big fan - she'd get something else for her birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

sheesh wrote: »
    you don't have a mobile phone??

Why is stuff like this always the response when i say i boycott israeli products. You know they aren't responsible for parts in every piece of technology. Anything i use or buy is well researched and does not contain parts made, produced or connected to israel in any fashion.

Ben Sherman

Very well made shirts that are unfortunately the choice of Dublin scum everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Jacobs Fruitfield brands- Irish company that bought the brands from UK companies that had manufactured the brands here for years. What do the new Irish owners do? Close down the maunfacturing base here and get all its products made abroad now by contractors. I still know some people who go out of there way to buy the Jacobs Fruitfield brands because they still think they are supporting Irish jobs. So I avoid Jacobs, Bolands, Chef and Fruitfield jams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Samsung, I just dont like the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Why is stuff like this always the response when i say i boycott israeli products. You know they aren't responsible for parts in every piece of technology. Anything i use or buy is well researched and does not contain parts made, produced or connected to israel in any fashion.

Do you avoid Irish fruit and veg then?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Jacobs Fruitfield brands- Irish company that bought the brands from UK companies that had manufactured the brands here for years. What do the new Irish owners do? Close down the maunfacturing base here and get all its products made abroad now by contractors. I still know some people who go out of there way to buy the Jacobs Fruitfield brands because they still think they are supporting Irish jobs. So I avoid Jacobs, Bolands, Chef and Fruitfield jams.

So you boycott a product because it seeks to get the best value for the money it spends? I find this strange to be honest. Every small business or tradesman does the exact same, trying to trim costs to the minimum, paying less than they would have, or could have, and yet they aren't maligned for it. Irish people gladly take the benefits of globalisation, and yet scorn the companies when they seek to exploit them (the benefits that is).

Not getting the hate for Dell at all. Have heard nothing but great things about them and their specs vs price ratio is usually the cheapest I can find online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Do you avoid Irish fruit and veg then?

What's that got to do with anything? Any fruit or veg i buy is from the Dublin food co-op anyways. They actively maintain a boycott of israeli produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

laugh wrote: »
    Not buying Ballymaloe because of Tim Allen is about the most nonsensical thing I've ever heard, punishing an entire (extended) family because of the sexual deviancy of one man, clap . clap . clap. His mother, his wife and his daughter in law, were and are the driving forces behind Ballymaloe.

They publicly support the pervert! So I think they deserve to share his punishment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement