Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Einhard wrote: »
    So you boycott a product because it seeks to get the best value for the money it spends? I find this strange to be honest. Every small business or tradesman does the exact same, trying to trim costs to the minimum, paying less than they would have, or could have, and yet they aren't maligned for it. Irish people gladly take the benefits of globalisation, and yet scorn the companies when they seek to exploit them (the benefits that is).

Actually I dont think the price has dropped so where is the value for money? The company profits have increased so certainly value for stock holders, do from reading remarks made on the quality of the products the quality standard seems to have dipped with out sourcing so where is the consumer benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

laugh wrote: »
    So what's the end game for someone like him? You would only be happy if his wife divorced him and his entire family disowned him? He should be completely ostracised from society? Would it not be better if he got some form of treatment with the support of his family, if he had nothing left to live for he might be more likely to act on his deviant desires?

Maybe he should just kill himself?

Final answer? YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Aishae wrote: »
    what happened with nestle in africa was also a long time ago.
    have their practices improved since then? the boycotting back then probably worked on improving the advertising practices

Well, it started a long time ago, and it wasn't limited to Africa. It was a tactic also used in South America and Asia. Whether things have improved is a complex question. Many countries have tightened up legislation, which solves the problem locally, but Nestlé themselves seem to have put more emphasis on advertising their way out of the scandal and, although they claim to meet current international standards, they haven't been co-operative with the EU or UN in proving it. Of course, they have no legal obligation to do so.

Guy:Incognito, you asked about the water the mother drinks when lactating, and of course it is also dirty. The milk produced by the parent is much cleaner than the water itself, and adult humans are more able to deal with waterborne bacteria and virii. Although the mother can herself become sick and thus infect her baby, ordinarily the milk is safe to drink.

Einhard, Nestlé did not forced anyone to use their product, but they did offer less than the whole truth when extolling the benefits of baby formula and they offered money and gifts to the doctors and nurses who advised the patients. Although no-one is seriously suggesting that Nestlé deliberately killed children, their coporate policy did result in the deaths of many infants. Despite the fact that they knew this, they continued with that policy until at least 2009.

Although I don't think that Nestlé did anything illegal, I do think that, since customers in developed countries provide an order of magnitude more revenue for companies than those in the developing world, and so those involved in the boycott could have a disproportionately large effect for their number. If nothing else, the publicty help convince several affected countries to outlaw the practice.
    tommyhaas wrote: »
    Your making reference there to the Gulf of Mexico disaster, but your concern is for the oil that was spilt. Without taking away from the seriousness of that, an issue deserving greater attention for me is that 11 men died in that explosion.

Although I agree with everything else you said, and your insight is pretty interesting, this assertion is silly. People die in industrial accidents regularly. The environmental and economic damage far outweighs the impact of their deaths. Had the Horizon accident not caused an oilspill, it would have been simply a footnote in the oil industry's 2010 safety record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Any coffee that comes out of a jar......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

KeithAFC wrote: »
    guinness

A bitter fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Not getting the hate for Dell at all. Have heard nothing but great things about them and their specs vs price ratio is usually the cheapest I can find online

so's the build quality.

in my experience dell machines always sit down just outside of warranty and are far less capable in business enviroments

What's that got to do with anything? Any fruit or veg i buy is from the Dublin food co-op anyways. They actively maintain a boycott of israeli produce.

Because people forget that fruit and veg is a product that needs various components to produce the crop such as fertilisers and Israel is a leading producer of fertilisers that are used in the production of fruit and vegetables in Ireland and Europe especially soft fruits and toms. Incidentally the same fertilisers are a base component for gun powder so the same factories supply the Israel arms industry so you are subsidising a vital component of the Israel arms industry when you buy Irish non-organic produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Actually I dont think the price has dropped so where is the value for money? The company profits have increased so certainly value for stock holders, do from reading remarks made on the quality of the products the quality standard seems to have dipped with out sourcing so where is the consumer benefit?

I meant the value for the company, not the consumer. All companies seek to maximise profit, and the Irish economy has benefitted greatly over the past 3 decades as foreign companies located here to avail of our low tax rates and, let's face it, our once low wages. We apply the exact same thinking in our everyday lives, trying to maximise the bang for our buck. I don't understand the outrage then, when Dell, or some other company, even if Irish owned or founded, decide to move elsewhere to maximise their competitiveness. Would be daft of them not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

dpe wrote: »
    Saying the "difference is we're Irish" doesn't give them some intrinsic extra worth (and I notice they don't try that **** on when they advertise up north). I have no problem with a farmer pointing out his products are local, I have no problem with Dunnes doing that, but they sell just as many foreign products as any other supermarket, they just do it wrapped in a tricolour. I'd call shenanigans if a British company tried to pull that as well (they used to - the likes of Austin Rover, it just became shorthand for "badly made crap that we can't sell any other way so we'll appeal to your misplaced sense of patriotism").

Is it not meant as "we're an Irish Retail multiple" competing mainly against foreign owned multiples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

downey2003 wrote: »
    They publicly support the pervert! So I think they deserve to share his punishment.

They support someone they love. They don't support his actions. Love is a strange thing, and can;t be just turned on and off at will. Or do you think that the wives and families of all convicted criminals automatically desert them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Donny5 wrote: »
    Although I agree with everything else you said, and your insight is pretty interesting, this assertion is silly. People die in industrial accidents regularly. The environmental and economic damage far outweighs the impact of their deaths. Had the Horizon accident not caused an oilspill, it would have been simply a footnote in the oil industry's 2010 safety record.

Yea I agree with you, I wouldn't dispute that. I was just referring more from a personal perspective

Have to ask.....??

He's a Garda and was involved in a case involving a family. The Star claimed that the family had questioned his competence in the case, yet when the Gardai themselves checked it out the family had never said such a thing - it was all made up. But his name wasn't mentioned in the article so he left it at that.

I've never touched The Star since, out of principle (as the thread title says).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

What water are these women drinking themselves? If they are not drinkign the poisenous water why are they giving it to their kids in forumla? If they are drinkign it then it's going to go to the kids anyway.

Smacks of some ridiculous anti nestle or anti "big company" agenda by crusties.

im not going to get into the ins and outs of human biology suffice to say that breastfeeding is better than formula made with unsanitary water even if the breastmilk is made from water filtered through the mothers body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Goodfellas, Subway

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

"I can't believe it's not butter" - that's a complaint, not a proper brand name you oily spreadmongers.

Diet Coke - 'cos it cleans metal better than brasso and I wouldn't drink brasso either.

Bottled water - strangely similar to the stuff I HAVE IN MY TAP?????

AK47's - cos of the suffering they have caused in the world, I refuse to have one in the house, no matter how much the kids beg and plead.

Any white pan except Brennans, cos Brennans is niciest and the rest aren't, and the other bakers probably helped the Nazi's in ww2, but old Mr Brennan has never left the country, salt of the earth he is.

White wine - cos red is better for you, I read it somwhere, and I only drink it for medicinal purposes, ahem. And the grapes are harmed when they drain the blood out of them to make white. Which is a good raisin not to drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Einhard wrote: »
    How can you be sure? Israel produces a huge amount of high tech components for the IT industry. Your ability to post that message probably relies on some Israeli made compnents in your computer.

We can't be sure. Our Israeli product scanner stopped working weeks ago. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Get off the high horse ffs, if people like a brand,there's nothing wrong with them walking around with it plastered all over them

I'm not on a high horse. I'm sitting on a normal sized chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Number One,

Anything made in France if I notice, but I won't read every label to find out. If I notice it's French, I'll put it down.

This is because of the French people. I am going to generalise and base my assumptions on French people by the ones I have known well or spent a lot of time with (I lived with lots). I don't want to contribute to their economy.

Number Two,

"The Trading Post" outside Headford in Galway.

I used to spent between 70 and 100 euro a week on fuel in that sh1thole. It was handy as it was on my side of the road on the way home and had a nice big forecourt. One evening I wasn't concentrating and put 50.02 in the tank. I only had a 50 note. I told the girl behind the counter and she looked me up and down and told me where the pass machine was. I have never been in there since and I have passed around 4 or 5 times a week since then. It was 2008.

Number Three,

"Gannon's" restaurant in Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo. Worst dining experience of my life. It took 45mins on a quiet Sunday morning to get 2 sausages. When they arrived I got no cutlery and got my toast 10 mins later. What do you expect from Mayo I suppose. I also boycotted the whole town of Ballinrobe for about 2 years but my reason was a bit too silly to keep it going any longer.

I have a bitter streak and I quite enjoy having someone or something to direct my hatred at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Solnskaya wrote: »

Bottled water - strangely similar to the stuff I HAVE IN MY TAP?????

Maybe with a tap filter attached. Without it its probably not 100% clean at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Ballymaloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/
    the rag (bit off topic i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Maybe with a tap filter attached. Without it its probably not 100% clean at all.
    Nope, mines from a private well, and because I am an Industrial plumber, it goes through a filter that would remove the commie from Joe Higgins if you could push him through it hard enough, so its sparkly and fresh for Solnskaya and his wickle solnskayas.

Number One,

Anything made in France if I notice, but I won't read every label to find out. If I notice it's French, I'll put it down.

This is because of the French people. I am going to generalise and base my assumptions on French people by the ones I have known well or spent a lot of time with (I lived with lots). I don't want to contribute to their economy.

Guessing that you avoid eating bread then since bakeries in Ireland generally use a combination of french and USA/Canadian flour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It depends what you mean by clean, but our tap water standards in Europe are stricter than those applied to bottled water.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Guessing that you avoid eating bread then since bakeries in Ireland generally use a combination of french and USA/Canadian flour.

Damn Frenchies. Shaft you everytime. I'm going to have to do some research on bread companies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dell after they put all those people in limerick out of a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I don't know if its been posted before, but I wouldn't touch anything manufactured by Johnston and Johnston.

They refuse to release the patents on vital drugs, that would pave the way for inexpensive generic treatments for HIV patients.

Thereby condemning some of the worlds poorest people to death.

I won't touch many major sportswear brands, because of the exploitation of children and poor in sweatshops in developing companies.

And I won't touch Nestle, for reasons mentioned before.

I can think of more but don't want to seem too fanatical :)

Abercrombie.

Simply because I don't want to look like all those f**kheads wearing a shirt that says "Abercrombie" and nothing else. Big deal, you look like a walking billboard.

Also any hoodie that has an american state or place name on it(unless you are a yank, then it's ok).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Nike

Supermacs. I appreciate my stomach, and my life.
    Abercrombie.

Simply because I don't want to look like all those f**kheads wearing a shirt that says "Abercrombie" and nothing else. Big deal, you look like a walking billboard.
    I got a tshirt today. But it was a present, so technically didn't buy it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/
    the rag (bit off topic i know)

In Turin they don't buy the liverpool echo because of the 39 Juventus fans that the scousers murdered 1989.

Justice For The 39.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

khmk wrote: »
    In Turin they don't buy the liverpool echo because of the 39 Juventus fans that the scousers murdered 1989.

Justice For The 39.

cant call ya a troll so

source???

Justice For The 39.

Yeah actually didnt the echo publish a player saying juve fans pissed and robbed their dead fans?
    P.s. RIP the 39

Yeah actually didnt the echo publish a player saying juve fans pissed and robbed their dead fans?
    P.s. RIP the 39

Nope liverpool fans have never taken responsibility for the murder of 39 Juve fans.

They famously blamed Chelsea fans.

All the time looking to blame someone for Hillborough.

Not their own fans fault of course.Yorkshire Police apparentely.

Add to that scousers robbing their own fans of tickets at the Champions League final in 2005.

Always someone elses fault.

Grief monkeys.

Nope liverpool fans have never taken responsibility for the murder of 39 Juve fans.

Add to that scousers robbing their own fans of tickets at the Champions League final in 2005.

Grief monkeys.

Never taking responsibility?
    http://im.rediff.com/sports/2005/apr/06fans.jpg

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Fj0lb1M_vvc/s/860/860/050405-031-Liverpool-Juventus.jpg

And your hillsborough remark is just ridicolous, go educate yourself about it before you start talking shi*te

JFT 96
    RIP the 39
    RIP Busby Babes, Munich 58

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Fj0lb1M_vvc/s/860/860/050405-031-Liverpool-Juventus.jpg

And your hillsborough remark is just ridicolous, go educate yourself about it before you start talking shi*te

JFT 96
    RIP the 39

Delusional scouser alert.

One minutes silence.

JFT 96
    RIP the 39

The pics in your link ;

that banner definitely makes up for murdering 39 of their fans.

Its an insult tbh.

look at my second link above for Juve fans reaction to that banner.

Edit - here it is.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://img38.echo.cx/img38/6498/abunchofjuvefans7sq.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D103091%26page%3D6&usg=__WGJ-ZAIAkqekzRhdLQxJBJXDskw=&h=328&w=408&sz=30&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&tbnid=WKv1LCDAY93vmM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=125&ei=tUS3TZnFII2LhQeZ2-mPDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Djuventus%2Bfans%2Banfield%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D636%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

The Sun. Hillsborough. Enough said.

Desire. wrote: »
    The Sun. Hillsborough. Enough said.

What about Heysel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Guns and Roses - after the shambles at the point/o2 last year. That lead singer is the biggest tosser ever.
    Gillette - they gotta be kidding with the price of replacement blades.
    GoCompare - those ads. AAAHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Grief monkeys.

Two hours after taking a massive step towards a Champions League final and your on the internet talking about Heysel. Proper fan you are. Have you ever been to Manchester?

An insult!!!you are actually deluded but seeing as you are not connected with lfc you obviously are not educated enough about these events and what about that picture? Juve fans deserve to do what theyre doing in that picture, i never said they werent. Please explain to me how lfc have not taken full responsibility and how lfc should act in order to take full responsibility?

BTW 5 Fu*king times.........

fkt wrote: »
    Two hours after taking a massive step towards a Champions League final and your on the internet talking about Heysel. Proper fan you are. Have you ever been to Manchester?

No doubt he/she burned his/her Rooney jersey few months back aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

What about Heysel?

What about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I refuse to pay to see any film in 3-D.

Being charged extra to watch a movie through cardboard glasses, getting a headache, whilst being distracted by random objects in the film seemingly popping out at you? No thanks.

It's pointless gimmickology at it's worst.

• Advertisement

Yep. And i take it you have been to liverpool because that self pitying blame everyone else for our actions mentality is obviously contagious.

liverpool fans acting like their always the victims when they directly caused the deaths of 39 people who went to watch a football matchmakes me sick tbh.

Read the link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10161967

The Italian supporters were killed trying to run away from Liverpool fans during the European Cup final.

Singing Munich songs for years before the 2 disasters (look it up.) but its part of the mentality that noone can mention Heysel incident without all the scousers getting self rightous.

Do your research mate.

What about it?

Why do liverpool always cry out about hillborough but keep quiet about Heysel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Non Japanese cars. I refuse to buy unreliable crap.

An insult!!!you are actually deluded but seeing as you are not connected with lfc you obviously are not educated enough about these events and what about that picture? Juve fans deserve to do what theyre doing in that picture, i never said they werent. Please explain to me how lfc have not taken full responsibility and how lfc should act in order to take full responsibility?

BTW 5 Fu*king times.........

Show me where they have.

No doubt he/she burned his/her Rooney jersey few months back aswell

No i denied everything.

Stuck my fingers in my ears and blamed Chelsea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement