Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC problems - Does anybody else have these problems?

• 25-04-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭

My UPC remote kept sticking when I was using it. I would have to press it a few times to get a channel for eg. I contacted UPC and they told me to return my old remote when I received the new one. They sent me out a new remote. But they also enclosed a form stating that they have applied a 25 euro charge to my a/c until I return my old remote for examination to see if it is a "technical problem". If is not a "technical problem" - the 25 euro that they have Applied to my a/c will remain. I feel that this is very high handed of UPC - they never told me that I would be charged in Advance and they never mentioned anything about examination for "technical problems".

Secondly when I unplug my TV and then plug it back in again it goes back to the way it comes from the factory so to speak. I cannot get any channels. I rang UPC and they told me that whenever I unplug my TV that I will have to punch in a Code to get my TV channels. I don't know of anybody else who has to do this. It is infuriating. I could not get any satisfaction from them.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,541 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dinky22 wrote: »
    Secondly when I unplug my TV and then plug it back in again it goes back to the way it comes from the factory so to speak. I cannot get any channels. I rang UPC and they told me that whenever I unplug my TV that I will have to punch in a Code to get my TV channels. I don't know of anybody else who has to do this. It is infuriating. I could not get any satisfaction from them.:mad:

What has that go to do with UPC? If the TV does a factory reset when you unplug it that's a bit of a nuisance but why are you blaming UPC?

Modern TVs use very little power on standby, despite the BS propaganda from the green brigade about one whole power station in the UK being needed to keep the red light burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Hi Coylemj. Perhaps I didn't describe what happens very well. If I unplug my TV and then I plug it back in what comes up on the screen is a box which asks you to put in your location. It gives you a selection of counties to choose from. It then asks you for your UPC Code for your location. Then eventually you get back your channels. I am not atall technical but I would have thought that this was a UPC problem. As regards leaving the TV on standby, you could well be correct, but if I go away for a weekend I like to unplug anything electrical.

Your problem is caused by the fact that you're unplugging the UPC box, the TV has nothing to do with it.

Since a recent software upgrade you can set the UPC box to to be on a low power level on standby, this will increase the boot up time each time you switch it on but it will use virtually no power when on standby. Click on Menu/Settings/Power Settings, set 'Power Consumption on Standby' to 'Low' and leave the box plugged in.

I don't know why the UPC box is forgetting the settings, possibly like mobile phones it has an onboard battery to maintain settings and on your box the battery is no longer able to keep these settings maintained when the box has no external power.

Hi Coylemj. Thanks for your reply. You are extremely knowledgeable. Don't know why UPC could not have told me that. I will ring them again and ask them to talk me thru what you have mentioned. I may sound dumb to you but believe me I would feel more comfortable to ask them to do it with me. I might screw it up!:eek:

Come on, you don't need a call agent to talk you through it, I gave it to you in minute detail. Even if you get lost in the menus you can always press the 'UPC' button to go back to the current TV channel and try again.

Give it a go. When you get to the Power on Standby setting, use the left or right buttons to switch between Low and High. When it's set to LOW just press the UPC button to exit the menus.

• Advertisement

Don't make me feel more dumb than I feel Coylemj!. OK I'll DO IT!. As regards the box not recognising the Code - do I put in a new battery or do I call UPC and ask for a new Box?. PLEASE BE COOL :p

By all means put in a call to UPC. Explain that the box is losing it's settings when it's unplugged for a couple of days. They may say that you're supposed to to leave the box plugged in so they don't regard your situation as a hardware failure OR they may send out an engineer to look at your box.

I don't know if the box definitely has a battery but I think it probably does because I've had my box unplugged for a couple of days recently and I didn't need to re-enter the code when I next switched it on. There is no part of the box user serviceable i.e. you are not allowed to mess with it so there's no question of you changing the battery.

Thanks Coylemj. I knew you would sort me out!. Will ring UPC and see how it goes - you explained things so well which was great. Take care. :D

Advertisement