Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyvoile bridge

Options
  • 25-04-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Does anyone know where Ballyvoile bridge is in relation to Stradbally or Kilmacthomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Its in Stradbally, you would see it on the coast road between Stradbally and Dungarvan, you want to go see it OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Which Ballyvoile Bridge?

There are 3

The old railway bridge, the main road bridge and the bridge in the cove.

Just come out (or into) Dungarvan on the coast road and about 4 mile out you hit a really sharp right hand bend and then the cove bridge is in the valley below you the main road bridge is the next bridge you will go over (half a mile on) and when you go over the main road bridge you should see the old railway bridge up the vally to the North.

Might be be Ballyvoyle depending on which map your looking at, most Sat Navs have Ballyvoile Cove or Ballyvoile Cross mapped.

http://www.ballyvoyle.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

STIG83 wrote: »
    Its in Stradbally, you would see it on the coast road between Stradbally and Dungarvan,
    is thatb thebopposite direction to leaving stradbally heading to Bunmahon
    you want to go see it OP?
    yes, heard Larry Griffin is buried there

Resend wrote: »
    is thatb thebopposite direction to leaving stradbally heading to Bunmahon

yes, heard Larry Griffin is buried there

Thats a bit of new evidence on the case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unlikely Larry Griffin was buried at Ballyvoile.

• Advertisement

Which Ballyvoile Bridge?
    the one it is said Larry Griffin is buried under

Resend wrote: »
    the one it is said Larry Griffin is buried under

You think you are gonna find the remains of him?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Thats a bit of new evidence on the case.
    New book, rehashing all the old rumours. No actual new facts.

Shur they said he was thrown down in one of the mine shafts in Bonmahon too.

Bonmahon unlikely either,red herring.

• Advertisement

This is the road bridge from down in the valley....

Under_Bridge.JPG

And this is the railway bridge further up the valley...

Ballyvoyle_RailBridge2.JPG

@ William Powell. What road out of stradbally? thanks

R675

Afaik it's the bridge down by the little cove that is mentioned in the book.

http://www.waterfordcountyimages.org/exhibit/web/DisplayImage/K0v4IEEjAUAmg/1/Ballyvoile_Bridge.html;jsessionid=9655937113A8987D453BFE4DE44DA0FE

Old picture but gives you idea of location.

Did anyone read the book? i was gonna pick it up.

Afaik it's the bridge down by the little cove that is mentioned in the book.

Be difficult to burry anyone there as your choice is in the stones on the beach or in the river.

I'm waiting for someone else to buy it so I can borrow it :D

Got an autographed book in Easons in Dungarvan,would have heard all the stories so nothing too new in it.

Be difficult to burry anyone there as your choice is in the stones on the beach or in the river.
    Book claims he might have been buried under a road NEAR the bridge.

That could be anywhere.

• Advertisement

There are no roads near the bridge other than the one that goes over it. From your picture quoted earlier the cottage on the left has a track into it and the cotages on the hill have a track up to them and thats it. There used to be access to the fields behind the cottage on the left under the left hand arch of the bridge (not the far left arch the one to the left of the centre) the far left arch is interesting as it no longer exists. The area around the cottage on the left of that photo (Dalligan Lodge ?) has changed big time as there is a new house there and all the land has been raised to stop the hight tide and river flooding it.

btw I've checked a few older maps and my Bartholmew map of 1969 gives Ballyvoile Bridge being the one in the cove.

2076e5f7-b_m.jpg

A newer picture :D

If you want to dig up around it Dalligan house is yours for €990,000 and an option to buy the old cottage.

Edit> Just google Ballyvoile Cove for a few pictures of the bridge

http://www.cianclarke.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,28/?g2_itemId=620

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenbiscuits2004/4566282837/

http://www.stradbally.com/VILLAGEPHOTO1.html

R675
    thanks;)

2076e5f7-b_m.jpg

A newer picture :D

If you want to dig up around it the house is yours for €990,000 and an option to buy the old cottage.
    thanks nice house;)good pointer. it is right on the coast?
    Just looked at book again.it is near the bridge the body is supposed to be. I think he said he was driven there at night and not told exactly where

That could be anywhere.
    It shows a picture of the bit,opposite pg 161 of the book.

It shows a picture of the bit,opposite pg 161 of the book.
    yes i have it trying to work out where the pic in book is in relation to the pic with the house is. If you follow the bend to left in book where would you come to in pic with house, from what side?

i did. i often heard relations of friend from that area speak of it. He was on pat kenny and said he is still not finished investigation as to location of body

Can you post a scan or a drawing, I can post a modern map from serveral sources if that will help.

Pic in the book is basically a bend in the road with a low stone wall, so not exactly precise.

• Advertisement

Can you post a scan or a drawing, I can post a modern map from serveral sources if that will help.
    sent you a pm

Advertisement