Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyvoile bridge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Thanks - now seen the picture in the book and I'll take a drive by tomorrow and confirm exactly where it was taken but as far as I can see its on the R675 heading towards Dungarvan and just to the North of the main road (R675) bridge over the River Dalligan. The OS map (sheet 82) calls it Ballyvoyle Old Bridge. Ballyvoyle New Bridge (sorry my mistake :o)
    So from what I can tell this is the Bridge the book is on about http://www.ballyvoyle.net/Images/General/Ballyvoyle_Road_Bridge.JPG and not the one on the cove.

Edit> Some more pics but of the right bridge I hope :)
    The guys in this picture are stood on this bridge and in this later picture you can just see the line of the road running on the right of the picture and thats the bit of road that I believe the book is on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Thanks - now seen the picture in the book and I'll take a drive by tomorrow and confirm exactly where it was taken but as far as I can see its on the R675 heading towards Dungarvan and just to the North of the main road (R675) bridge over the River Dalligan. The OS map (sheet 82) calls it Ballyvoyle Old Bridge.

So from what I can tell this is the Bridge the book is on about http://www.ballyvoyle.net/Images/General/Ballyvoyle_Road_Bridge.JPG and not the one on the cove.
    got your pm thanks. That bridge looks more like the one in the book. Thanks again info appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

The author of that book throws some cold water on the Idea of Larry Griffin being buried under Ballyvoyle bridge in the last chapter. Apparently the story that he was buried near Ballyvoyle Bridge was never mentioned in the original Garda files, and the Gardaí at the time took note of all the various stories and gossip going around as to what might have happened to the body.

He could have been put in any one of a thousand places, I very much doubt we will ever know the true story of what happened to his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The author of that book throws some cold water on the Idea of Larry Griffin being buried under Ballyvoyle bridge in the last chapter. Apparently the story that he was buried near Ballyvoyle Bridge was never mentioned in the original Garda files, and the Gardaí at the time took note of all the various stories and gossip going around as to what might have happened to the body.

He could have been put in any one of a thousand places, I very much doubt we will ever know the true story of what happened to his body.

Im sure who ever did know what happened his body are well gone by now, pity there was DNA back then, it would have been solved IMHO

Don't forget when this occured, nowadays you could throw a body in a boot of a car and burry it hundreds of miles away. When your fastest mode of transport was a horse and cart and everyones business and movements were known by the whole community you would have far fewer options.

• Advertisement

So this is the location from the book....

156614.jpg

And just so anyone looking can find it theres signpost just to the right of the road....

156616.JPG

The bridge is a few hundred meters down the road and your looking in the direction of the sea and on the road driving towards Dungarvan.

Edit> Just in case anyones not 100% clear heres a map...

156623.jpg

156614.jpg

And just so anyone looking can find it theres signpost just to the right of the road....

156616.JPG

The bridge is a few hundred meters down the road and your looking in the direction of the sea and on the road driving towards Dungarvan.

156623.jpg
    thanks for that. can i ask what program you used to put the arrows and text on the map?

Did ya go on a hunt yet OP?

STIG83 wrote: »
    Did ya go on a hunt yet OP?
    can't you stay out of it if you have nothing but smart remarks

Resend wrote: »
    thanks for that. can i ask what program you used to put the arrows and text on the map?

Just the MSPaint that comes with Windows 7. First time I've used that version and its loads better than the older ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Im sure who ever did know what happened his body are well gone by now, pity there was DNA back then, it would have been solved IMHO
    Still one or two people of that generation left. Most of the people in the book have gone, but there are people who lived in the village at the time who are still alive.

can't you stay out of it if you have nothing but smart remarks

I said nothing smart to ya, was asking a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I mentioned this before but my grand father god rest him would have been a teenager around the time and I'm fairly certain knew the full story.

If you brought it up till the day he died he would leave the room. He's in a picture actually in that book as a child.

Still one or two people of that generation left. Most of the people in the book have gone, but there are people who lived in the village at the time who are still alive.
    that is why the book can be written now. Down the years several papers were sued

Is there a statue in memory of Larry Griffin? I seem to remember hearing there was but cannot find any reference to it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Never heard of a statue.

Is there a statue in memory of Larry Griffin? I seem to remember hearing there was but cannot find any reference to it

Never heard of one either.

You're not thinking of the John Cummins Memorial are you, its just down the road on the other side of the bridge from my previous pictures.

John_Cummins.JPG

Never heard of one either.

You're not thinking of the John Cummins Memorial are you, its just down the road on the other side of the bridge from my previous pictures.

John_Cummins.JPG
    I think I am confusing it with the fact his name is on the headstone of his wife's grave, isn't it?

I think I am confusing it with the fact his name is on the headstone of his wife's grave, isn't it?

I remember reading his Grandson said that in one of the many press articles I've read the last couple of nights.

This article in fact Missing postman’s family still seek closure 81 years later

I remember reading his Grandson said that in one of the many press articles I've read the last couple of nights.

This article in fact Missing postman’s family still seek closure 81 years later

Have you seen the documentary by the man who wrote the book? It shows his name on the headstone as far as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

Which Ballyvoile Bridge?

There are 3

The old railway bridge, the main road bridge and the bridge in the cove.

Just come out (or into) Dungarvan on the coast road and about 4 mile out you hit a really sharp right hand bend and then the cove bridge is in the valley below you the main road bridge is the next bridge you will go over (half a mile on) and when you go over the main road bridge you should see the old railway bridge up the vally to the North.

Might be be Ballyvoyle depending on which map your looking at, most Sat Navs have Ballyvoile Cove or Ballyvoile Cross mapped.

http://www.ballyvoyle.net/
    isn't that sharp bend you're talking about a left hander?

• Advertisement

isn't that sharp bend you're talking about a left hander?

In that direction you are correct, just past the turn off for the cove its a sharp left hand bend on your way out of Dungarvan towards the Ballyvoyle New Bridge.

Not surprised I made a mistake as I often do with directions thats why I posted the map.

156614.jpg

156616.JPG

156623.jpg
    And just so anyone looking can find it theres signpost just to the right of the road.
    what is on the signposts, tried blowing up but blurred

that is why the book can be written now. Down the years several papers were sued

There no statue for Larry Griffin

what is on the signposts, tried blowing up but blurred

Another reason I included the map :D

But as I have the photo to hand here's just whats on the sign its as small a size as I can make it for posting but still readable.

156733.JPG

& the Stradbally sign should probably be pointed at the camera up towards Balllyvoile Cross same way the B&B sign is.

But as I have the photo to hand here's just whats on the sign its as small a size as I can make it for posting but still readable.

156733.JPG

& the Stradbally sign should probably be pointed at the camera up towards Balllyvoile Cross same way the B&B sign is.

How long has the sign said Fungarvan?

How long has the sign said Fungarvan?

Can't say I'd noticed before I took the pic so can't say. I think the sign is one of those new ones that went in around the end of last summer.

156733.JPG

thanks for that :D
    edit is it pronounced as ballyvoyle

thanks for that :D
    edit is it pronounced as ballyvoyle

Not sure on any pronounciation but afaik it rhymes OIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's a very nice spot around there. I seem to remember some people used to bungee off the metal rail bridge a good while back, does anyone else remember this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

It's a very nice spot around there. I seem to remember some people used to bungee off the metal rail bridge a good while back, does anyone else remember this?
    Off the railway bridge, yeah..

Advertisement