Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyvoile bridge

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

cianclarke wrote: »
    Off the railway bridge, yeah..

Nah, no bungee jumping afaik but some abseiling. Think even with that there was the usual "insurance" issues and thats why it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nah, no bungee jumping afaik but some abseiling. Think even with that there was the usual "insurance" issues and thats why it stopped.
    Yes, there was bungee jumping until around 1999 I think.

Yes, there was bungee jumping until around 1999 I think.

Our kitchen window over looked the bridge and only we only ever saw them abseiling but that would have been from around 2000.

Well you probably have a much better handle on what's going on there so, I was only getting the news second hand from some friends who were supposed to have done it a least once a month on Sundays for a couple of years up to 1999.

Well you probably have a much better handle on what's going on there so, I was only getting the news second hand from some friends who were supposed to have done it a least once a month on Sundays for a couple of years up to 1999.

I'd only go as far as saying I hadn't actually seen any bungee jumping from 2000 onwards, it was some extreme sports club that used the bridge as you say on Sundays so its certainly possible.

You couldn't use the spot for bungee jumping now as there is no place to get a good rope anchor, the abseilers used the railway tracks but the tracks and sleepers were taken up a good few years back now.

• Advertisement

It's 20 years since I walked it, I didn't know the tracks had been taken up.

It's 20 years since I walked it, I didn't know the tracks had been taken up.

I hate going by memory without references as I know how wrong I can be sometime but I seem to remember they took the tracks up just before the footpath debacle between the farmers and the council. So I guess part of the preparations for the Dungarvan - Durrow - Kilmac footpath included removing the tracks - I bet someone made a killing on the scrap and resale of the sleepers.

Oh yeah, I remember something about the sleepers now, they were trucked away about 8 years ago I think, I had forgotten that.

That walk is really nice though, across the bridge down the line through the tunnel and on out to the shop...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I went for a walk on the Kilmac Viaduct last night, all the track has been lifted for a good few years now, i think the only bit of track left is on the Red Bridge in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Nothing to contribute guys, just want to say what an interesting thread! I can't wait to pick up the book now myself!

• Advertisement

Just something I found on another thread with some very good photos.

Just something I found on another thread with some very good photos.

That 2nd to last photo of that set of the road bridge (the one the OP wanted to know about) is interesting as afaik its taken from the railway bridge which is in the last photo.

Advertisement