Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pig Keeping

Options
  • 25-04-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Know this is the gardening board but I am wondering if there are any smallholders here. I am waiting on the dept of agri to come out and inspect our pen and arc to get our Pig Number, but i have a question about neighbours. We are on a 2 acre site and plan to put pen in back corner for the best shelter and furthest from neighbours. Does anyone know what the regulations are about the distance they must be from neighbours and their water supply ( we all have our own wells ). We will only be getting 2 pigs to kill off in late Autumn/early winter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Interesting: you can get a pig number for 2 porkies and get money from the hard pressed taxpayer to rear and slaughter them within about six months.
    Amazing what can be construed as 'farmer'

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Carlow52,
    Would you ever get off your high horse, anyone who wants to keep pigs is required to register with the Dept of Ag for food traceability and animal welfare and has nothing to do with any Imaginary payments you think we might be entitled to.
    Oh and by the way we are smallholders not farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just got pig number myself.

The inspection appeared to be just a welfare issue with regard to the pigs. Ours are free range, perhaps different criteria apply in confined to a sty. A stream borders our pig pen and that didn't seem an issue.

Not answering your query, so i reckon I'm little help...but our pigs are adorable :D
    Good Luck

Thanks for that Mothman,
    The sty will be fairly big, its better than cutting grass...... We just have a bit of cranky neighbour and want to dot the I's and cross the T's before they arrive. I am sure the inspector will put us in the right direction. If you don't mind me asking what breed did you get and how did you source them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Your septic tank is more of a risk to your well than those pigs will ever be,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Pinky 123,

Was planning on getting a couple of porkers in July when I get back from Holidays as I didnt want to be worrying about them while I was away.

Was planning on using electric fencing to pen them in but was wondering how big an area to give them. We're on an acre and I was thinking of giving them about 15-20% of that. Would love if you could give us updates on your progress.

I was planning to have mine ready for the Christmas table, along with a few turkeys I was going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mothman,
    The sty will be fairly big, its better than cutting grass...... We just have a bit of cranky neighbour and want to dot the I's and cross the T's before they arrive. I am sure the inspector will put us in the right direction. If you don't mind me asking what breed did you get and how did you source them?
    They'll do more than cut the grass ;), they churn the place up :) Perfect preparation for vegetable beds.

As they're free range, wanted to get a traditional breed which would fair better outside. Wanted Tamworths, but sourced Gloucester Old Spots a the right stage.

If is abit overgrown, don't bother cleaning place up, they love eating brambles :D

I wouldn't rely on electric fence. When they get a shock, they often jump forward and are through.....though they will respect it when they know it, but they need training.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

I wonder what the neighbours will think.:)

Here's a good read www.grow-your-own.ie/pigs.html

Hiya fodda
    Thank you for the excellent link:D

Hiya Fatman,

Inspector was out last week and we should have our number this week. The space we are giving them will be 10 mt x 10 mt. She suggested we split it down the center and let them start on one side, them the other and then open it all out to finish them off.
    Also told us to make sure that we keep fencing away from our boundary trees as the little feckers can root down and wreck the trees. We will be using heavy duty sheep wire and mains powered electric fence to keep them in, husband is planning on putting up 4 rows of electric wire. We still have to source piglets yet so if anyone knows of a good breeder in the North Cork area will you let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

That's great you are giving them lots of room:)

Advertisement