Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics question

• 25-04-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was doing the physics exam paper's and I came across and awkward question.

Its 2003 Q12 (d) last bit.

"If the switch at A is open, the magnet will take longer to come to rest. Explain why. "

I was wondering if the switch is closed, how will the magnet come to rest quicker?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

You will find the answer here

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Neodymium wrote: »
    You will find the answer here

I am already aware of the marking scheme. My question is different "I was wondering if the switch is closed, how will the magnet come to rest quicker?"

Thanks for the response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

its lenz law......when the magnet meets the coil....... the magnet gives an induced emf and they are both the same charge (sign)...and like charges repel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I don't have the question in front of me but I would assume it would be because there would be no force because there is no current?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

I don't have the question in front of me but I would assume it would be because there would be no force because there is no current?

thats the answer on the marking scheme;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yes, the magnet will induce a voltage across the coil, if the switch was closed this would in turn cause a flow of current in the circuit which, by Lenz' Law, must oppose the change of flux in the coil.

The magnet is what causes the change in flux in the coil, so the coil opposes the magnet (by generating its own magnetic field in the opposite direction to the magnet's motion) with a force in the opposite direction - this is what causes the magnet to come to rest quicker.

Incidently if you did this yourself you would find it noticeably harder to push the magnet in and pull it out of the coil when the switch is closed - this idea is put into practice in the DART system where this induced voltage and current are used to slow down the vehicle in a contactless way (less wear-and-tear) and, as an added benefit, this energy can be given back to the DART voltage supply system.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Thank you for your answers!

Advertisement