Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grosfillex or equivalent

• 25-04-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster in this forum so would be grateful for any advice.

I need to damp proof an old solid block bathroom with no insulation. The walls are constantly mouldy and it's freezing in the winter.

So far, I think the best option is to clad the walls and ceiling with Grosfillex PVC cladding and add insulation to the cavity. I think that this will solve the mould problem and also make the room a bit warmer. I'm pretty handy at DIY and confident in my abilities to do this.

My questions are:

Am I overlooking anything?
    Is there a better alternative to PVC cladding?
    If not, is there a cheaper alternative to Grosfillex? (€55 per pack 2.65 sq.m.)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont agree that the cladding will work. Surly it will allow the damp accumalate behind it?

Possibly falling in condensation down the panel and then causing a damp spot into your floor and ultimatly ceiling downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Thanks Joey The Lips,

That's exactly the kind of constructive info I was looking for. While I may be handy in terms of actually fixing it to the walls, I know very little about the other practicalities such as you mentioned.

Have you any other suggestions that might work? Ideally it needs to be knocked down and re-built properly but that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'm afraid a quick fix is all that's open to me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

pointer28 wrote: »
    Thanks Joey The Lips,

That's exactly the kind of constructive info I was looking for. While I may be handy in terms of actually fixing it to the walls, I know very little about the other practicalities such as you mentioned.

Have you any other suggestions that might work? Ideally it needs to be knocked down and re-built properly but that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'm afraid a quick fix is all that's open to me at the moment.

Protim abrasives use to do a sealer that you paint on walls and it seals out the moisture. If you pain it on the outside it wont let the moisture in. If you paint it on the inside it wont let the water out of the brick.

I am not to sure who does it now as the company has gone but its still done here. Osmose is the parent company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pipes

Likely the damp is actually condensing out of the bathroom air onto the cold walls, so the plastic cladding with insulation should work fine. if all the gaps in the cladding are sealed, no condensation will form behind.
    ( white vinegar or bleach walls to kill mold and use dehumidifier or heater to dry out the bathroom before cladding.)

Advertisement