Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owe ESB a lot of money!

• 25-04-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Can't think of a better forum to post this in...

I am renting a flat with another 2 guys and for various reasons we somehow have not paid a single ESB bill since we moved in last September. We didn't even 'sign up' with them. The landlord made the movements to transfer the bill into my name at the start (I hadn't asked for this) but that was all, I never contacted them or anything (one of the other lads was meant to be sorting out out, not me).

We got several letters saying they'd be cutting us off in a week and whatnot but they never did.

Obviously I don't expect to get away with not paying for electricity, and we're coming to the end of our lease now so I just want to pay it and be done with it. Would I be able to ring them up and just pay the entire outstanding balance (less the €300 deposit or whatever) and close the account or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Obviously I don't expect to get away with not paying for electricity, and we're coming to the end of our lease now so I just want to pay it and be done with it. Would I be able to ring them up and just pay the entire outstanding balance (less the €300 deposit or whatever) and close the account or whatever?

You can ofcourse, they will delighted to clear the arrears im sure. It would probably be better for your sake if you pay it in full, and then get the deposit back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

But why would I need to pay the deposit if I was closing the account with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Did you try this forum, they should be able to tell you everything

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

But why would I need to pay the deposit if I was closing the account with them?

I presumed you will be moving on to new accommodation where they will want another deposit

When I get new accommodation the ESB could be in someone else's name, and besides we'd probably elect to pay by DD which doesn't require a deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you get a reading when you moved in?

When you move out, take another reading, and if possible take a picture of the meter showing the reading with time and date if you can.

Cover yourself as much as possible. If you move out owing the ESB money, they can insist you get a key meter at your next house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Croppy Bhoy, I can move this thread to the ESB's own forum here if you want. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

Once the ESB (or any other supplier) gets their money, they have no particular problem. Obviously they would prefer to be paid somewhat promptly. It would be better to pay off a chunk of it now, so that you don't get cut off, beofre you move out. It would also make things easier on you when you sign on in future.

Make sure the flat mates pay you.

Yes can you move it please :)

Can my flatmate sort it out? I never asked nor agreed for any of it to be in my name. I've signed nothing. I can't really afford to pay an extra 150 for a deposit, even if I can get it back relatively soon. I just want to make a one off payment and be done with it, then whenever I move into a new place in September, if the bill has to be in my name I can set it up properly and make sure we keep up with the payments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Croppy Bhoy,
    We got several letters saying they'd be cutting us off in a week and whatnot but they never did... Would I be able to ring them up and just pay the entire outstanding balance (less the €300 deposit or whatever) and close the account or whatever?

I wouldn't recommend you leave it any longer, as the threat of disconnection does exist if you have received any such letter. It sounds to me as though there is currently nobody registered to the property; this scenario requires that the power supply is cut once no response is received to our attempts to prompt registration (i.e. letters/phone calls).

I can see that you're anxious to have this sorted asap, so the best thing would be to PM me all the details you have (ideally the address and MPRN of the property, plus your full name and contact number) so that I can look into it for you.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
Advertisement