Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Red Lights

• 25-04-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Lads is it just me or has the amount of people running red lights in the city gone from bad to worse???

Just for example the traffic lights at the top of Hillview on the cleaboy road. If you are turning right into hillview the green arrow could come on and easily 3-4 cars would still drive past!!

Its starting to become a joke...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

alan89 wrote: »
    Lads is it just me or has the amount of people running red lights in the city gone from bad to worse???

Just for example the traffic lights at the top of Hillview on the cleaboy road. If you are turning right into hillview the green arrow could come on and easily 3-4 cars would still drive past!!

Its starting to become a joke...

I thinl the gap between the red light coming on when you're coming from the Cleaboy to the green arrow coming on isn't long enough for a car or two to make their way through the junction but you're correct in saying that a fair few people do run that red light.

I'm not sure how prevalent a problem it is but I had to phone Traffic Watch on a lad one night who bombed through a red light at the Cork Road/Waterford Crystal junction before. I was waiting to turn left onto the Cork Road just after midnight. The main road's light turned red. Mine turned green. A second later, a lad in a white van tore through at what must have been 50 mph. It had been green long enough for me to be just taking off only for I saw him. Dangerous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Its always been like that at the top of hillview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Desperate on the junction outside the tower hotel, especially coming from Lombard st. on to the Quay. Cars are still going when the green man comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The lights top newtown seem to be red more than green lately, why have they changed the timing on them.
    ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

top of the folly, cars coming up the hill and turning right. Red lights seem to mean nothing to some of the idiots who jump them. Earlier this evening the lights had turned red, traffic with green was already moving and a clown in a WLR branded yellow volks sailed through the red like he owned the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hoffmans wrote: »
    The lights top newtown seem to be red more than green lately, why have they changed the timing on them.
    ...?

I've noticed the same.

The pedestrian lights opposite the train station are ignored and you're taking your life in your own hands if you try to cross it when the green man lights up. The traffic coming off the bridge ignore it and keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Pedestrian lights at the Ursuline on the inner ring road are unbelievable.... if the cops sat there for an hour they'd have a months worth of tickets issued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Pedestrian lights at the Ursuline on the inner ring road are unbelievable.... if the cops sat there for an hour they'd have a months worth of tickets issued

The cops are no saints either. This morning, I passed one driving along by Newtown, and he chatting away on his mobile phone. Tool.

The Folly is a joke for people coming up to turn right. Literally on each others bumpers. I love being first in line. Like a formula one driver when it hits green. Someday, some idiot will meet my bullbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The whole traffic light system at the Mercy is just a sugestion, you don't have to follow it.

I usually avoid like the plague but had to go through it Sat evening. I stopped at the Merion side turning down for Morgan st, this guy just kept going through the lights, 2 ft behind the pedestrian on the crossing.

I had already crossed the line so I kept going, hand on the horn the whole time. My paint touched his paint, wasn't long about hitting the breaks. Gold 06 Land Rover, god help him if I meet him again.

I'd prefer to see the traffic corp parked up at lights than shooting fish in a barrel on a 50k road with private speed cameras anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

gscully wrote: »
    The cops are no saints either. This morning, I passed one driving along by Newtown, and he chatting away on his mobile phone. Tool.

If I recall correctly they're actually exempt from that law!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I thinl the gap between the red light coming on when you're coming from the Cleaboy to the green arrow coming on isn't long enough for a car or two to make their way through the junction but you're correct in saying that a fair few people do run that red light.

I'm not sure how prevalent a problem it is but I had to phone Traffic Watch on a lad one night who bombed through a red light at the Cork Road/Waterford Crystal junction before. I was waiting to turn left onto the Cork Road just after midnight. The main road's light turned red. Mine turned green. A second later, a lad in a white van tore through at what must have been 50 mph. It had been green long enough for me to be just taking off only for I saw him. Dangerous stuff.

Wonder was it the same muppet who overtook me last week on the slow lane out by Kilmac, what made it more dangerous the van overtook me as the slow lane ended.
    Some tools out there on the road :mad:

deise_boi wrote: »

I would find that hard to believe. The prohibition of holding a phone while driving is for safety reasons. If any member of the Gardai needs to use a mobile phone, then they should be equipped with a hands-free system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cant see that been right :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Think all members of emergency services are exempt from the phone law. Seen it mentioned in AH before with a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alan89

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The whole traffic light system at the Mercy is just a sugestion, you don't have to follow it.

That is so true! No one follows those lights in the middle of that junction... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

RE: Gardai using phones, maybe there is an exemption but are they not allowed to carry their phones anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Think all members of emergency services are exempt from the phone law. Seen it mentioned in AH before with a link
    Yeah as long as they are using it for official reasons. Who's gonna know by seen them if its official or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Regardless if its personal or private, Gardai are exempt from all traffic laws while on duty. Gardai are also using phones (they buy them IIRC) to communicate as the radio is unsecure and can be intercepted.

Not something I personally like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

As mentioned previously, the lights at Hillview and then at the Marian/Mercy junction. Going into town from where I live is a true test of someones good mood and patience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pac413

In fairness, those lights at the top of Hillview are absolutely ridiculous.

They're not triggered by sensors at all, so you have to wait until the green light moves around to all of the exits regardless of whether someone's waiting there. What's more is that the green light still comes on for the ABB exit, when nobody's been there for months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

mecco wrote: »
    As mentioned previously, the lights at Hillview and then at the Marian/Mercy junction. Going into town from where I live is a true test of someones good mood and patience :)

I don't know how long it's been since I went through the traffic lights at the Marian. I'd actually go out of my way to avoid them.
    Pac413 wrote: »
    In fairness, those lights at the top of Hillview are absolutely ridiculous.

They're not triggered by sensors at all, so you have to wait until the green light moves around to all of the exits regardless of whether someone's waiting there. What's more is that the green light still comes on for the ABB exit, when nobody's been there for months!

I'm pretty sure they are triggered by sensors because they don't always come on at the exit of Cleaboy Avenue, only if someone's waiting there. And I think the ABB one is triggered because of something blocking a sensor at times or something because, again, I don't think it comes on during every cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

so a Guard has a totally different reaction time than the rest of us car driving folk. I wonder wht the HSA and the RSA have to say about that.

I saw one driving around the WRH r/a holding the phone with one hand while negotinag the r/a with the other- pure madness that they are allowed to get away with it

Bards wrote: »
    so a Guard has a totally different reaction time than the rest of us car driving folk. I wonder wht the HSA and the RSA have to say about that.

I saw one driving around the WRH r/a holding the phone with one hand while negotinag the r/a with the other- pure madness that they are allowed to get away with it

Exactly. If they need them for work, they should be hands-free kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

They could learn the rest of the rules of the road too. Nearly hit one this morning that was coming down a 1 way street the wrong way. I was turning up towards meeting house lane from o'connell street(the lane next to foxy chopper) and he was coming down it.
    Of course 5 seconds before this there was some old guy in a 4x4 going down all of o'connell street the wrong way :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

merlante wrote: »
    Desperate on the junction outside the tower hotel, especially coming from Lombard st. on to the Quay. Cars are still going when the green man comes on.

Agree with you there it is lethal nearly even time I cross there I have had near misses with cars running the red light.

Top of Bunkers Hill is also lethal. I was crossing there last week, green man on and had been on for a few seconds when this car comes flying about the corner. She obviouly ran a tootal red light as there is a few seconds gap between red light and green man. I stopped and as she had window down I said to her what the hell was she doing the green man was on and that she could have killed me. Of course got the usual response f**k off and then she just drove around me at break neck speed nearly clipping a car waiting in the lane to turn down the hill.

This is a regular occurance & with school kids crossing there makes it twice as lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

STIG83 wrote: »
    Wonder was it the same muppet who overtook me last week on the slow lane out by Kilmac,
    on a bicycle...with evelopes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The city council must have shares int he traffic light company, I would have thought a roundabout at Hillview and Bannygunner village would makemore scence but we got lights instead.

I suggested a double roundabout at the Mercy to a police woman who commented that Waterford people wouldn't understand it and would probably drive through it!

Comming home this evening a red 02 CW reg car with a yellow coloured reg plate, went straight through the red lights at Dooley's, hope the driver has an Organ Donor card.

Where are the cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Traffic lights outside amber garage on Paddy Browne's road can be a bit of a joke. Several times I have witnessed people breaking the red light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

the pedestrian crossing outside the tower hotel is lethal with the amount of people running red lights. I can understand a chap going thru an amber if it has just turned but i have seen numerous people who speed up to go thru the red.

the added danger is that the island half way thru the road means that when the green man turns on, people are out on the road and cars are still coming thru from lombard street. one of the filters is broken too.

Where are the gardai, as usual, they are not interested unless they can catch someone doing something while they sit in their cars.

any idea who e-mail re: broken lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

STIG83 wrote: »
    Wonder was it the same muppet who overtook me last week on the slow lane out by Kilmac, what made it more dangerous the van overtook me as the slow lane ended.
    Some tools out there on the road :mad:

i see it every single day here in sydney , its common practice for drivers over here, they are shocking

every lane is a fast lane

Advertisement