Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience USA and visa situation confusion

Options
  • 25-04-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me what the visa situation is if a further education (plc course) student wanted to do their two weeks unpaid work experience in the USA?
    Looking on the embassy website would seem to indicate that no more than the regular holiday clearance is required when its short term and unpaid, but its not clear.

Anyone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If it's totally unpaid and you are not overstaying the normal tourist visa, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, if it was me, I would just say I was there on a holiday as you wouldn't be breaking any laws by working for payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Wisco wrote: »
    If it's totally unpaid and you are not overstaying the normal tourist visa, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, if it was me, I would just say I was there on a holiday as you wouldn't be breaking any laws by working for payment.

I'm not sure about that advice, I don't think it matters if you're getting paid or not. I think it would depend on the type of work you're doing. I wouldn't advise anyone to say nothing, if it's legal then be open an honest about it.
    Voluntary Work
    Individuals participating in a voluntary service program which benefits a U.S. local community, who establish that they are a member of, and have a commitment to, a particular recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization, may be eligible for a B-1 visa or visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if the work to be formed is traditionally done by volunteer charity workers; they will receive no salary or remuneration from a U.S. source, other than an allowance or other reimbursement for expenses incidental to their stay in the United State; and they will not engage in the selling of articles and/or the solicitation and acceptance of donations.
    A voluntary service program is an organized project conducted by a recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization to provide assistance to the poor or the needy, or to further a religious or charitable cause.
    If your proposed activities as a voluntary worker are not exactly as described, you will require either an exchange visitor (J-1) or temporary worker (H-2B) visa.
    Please Note: When applying for entry into the United States as a voluntary worker with a visa or under the VWP, you should furnish a letter from your U.S. sponsor which contains the following information:
    • Your name and date and place of birth;
    • Your foreign permanent residence address;
    • The name and address of initial destination in the U.S.; and
    • The anticipated duration of your assignment.

Your best bet is to get in touch with the embassy for clarification.

Advertisement