Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS - diet

Options
  • 25-04-2011 8:03pm

Just looking for some advice. I have what the docs think is IBS. I've suffered from this for about 8 years now and up to this point, nobody thought it necessary to refer me for more tests. I've just had full bloods done and my new doc says that everything is as good as it can be, no liver damage or anything and he's still confident this is IBS I'm dealing with.

I've put the IBS on the back burner for a while, as I've been dealing with more pressing health issues, but it's starting to get quite a bit worse. Some days, I have diarrhea several times and all my stools are pretty much yellow and runny. I can't remember the last time I had a normal poo. The bloating is very bad - looks like I swallowed a football after eating anything at all and I do get pain from time to time. The symptoms seem to be especially bad about pasta, although numerous Celiac tests have shown that I am not Celiac. Any time I try to eat pasta, though, I get bad pain, bloating and bad diarrhea. Same happens but to a slightly lesser extent with pizza and anything with white bread, although sometimes it seems that almost anything can set it off. Raw fruit and veg don't agree with me either. The best thing for me seems to be fish, spuds and well cooked veg, but I can't eat that every day.

Does anyone else who suffers from this follow a special diet? I know to some extent it's different for everyone, but I need to make some radical changes, and the doctor hasn't been much help. I have been advised to give up alcohol - does that really make a difference? I will definitely be cutting out beer (sob) but what about spirits and wine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I had a lot of similar problems, and was told it was IBS. Ultimately I was diagnosed, last week as it happens, with Crohn's disease. This is something you should consider as it is easily confused with IBS.

I had the bloating and frequent trips to the bathroom. I also felt awful immedietly after eating pizza.

Raw fuit and veg are not easily digested either and are commonly associated with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis also.

A doctor isn't really the right person to get dietary information from in my experience. I think you should consider getting information from a gastroenterologist about having an endoscopy or a colonoscopy as that will enable them to get a better idea of whats going on inside. I hope for you're sake I'm wrong, but I would check it out if I were you as the longer you go without a diagnosis the worse it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Hi Izzy Wizzy. Have you been referred to a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon?. Have you had a Colonoscopy done?. Have you been to see a Dietitian?. You are living a wretched existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

I've been in the exact same position as you.
    My IBS is related to another condition but I used to get so sick it would ruin my social life. My doctor was useless at helping until I caused myself to have an IBS attack ( NOT RECOMMENDED)
    The doctors thought I had Caeliac diesease so I went on a somewhat similar diet to theirs where I cut out some yeast and gluten and bought some of the gluten free stuff that you get in Tescos and dunnes and that likes and it really helped !
    I'd make my own pizza and never eat a big meal. I'd eat a few times a day in really small proportions

However this may not be the best advice but if you suffer from it after you eat stodgy food like bread and so on this might help, but talk to a dietician if you are really suffering.

Hope you feel better xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

IBSgroup.org main forum is here:
    http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?app=forums

I haven't been on there for years but my memory is there was a bit of politics on there so be careful what arguments you get into, but it is overall a useful site.

What tests did you have for coeliac ? The gold standard test is by upper GI endoscopy with duodenal/jejunal biopsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Bodhidharma is right about making sure it isn't Crohns. I suffered for years with IBS (doctors were confident that's what it was as it had been brought on by a bowel infection in my originally), however when my symptoms changed last year I was immediately referred for a colonoscopy to rule out Crohns & celiac.
    Despite not being celiac, it could just be that pasta is what sets off your IBS. I'm the same with white bread. You could try using the wholemeal pasta.
    I do think that if you're finding it hard to work out what is right for you in your diet, then going to a trained dietician is the best course of action. I'm lucky in the sense that it was very obvious what foods I should avoid & can manage my own diet very well.
    I found alcohol was a big trigger for attacks for me however my friend, who also suffers, is fine with it. Also strangely I can have alcohol & not have a reaction if it's mixed with fruit juices.
    Unfortunately it is the kind of thing where it's very individualistic & one thing that works for one person may not work for another.

• Thanks for the replies, everyone.

No, I haven't been referred to anyone. This issue is actually not at the top of my list of issues - the doctors seem more concerned about me getting gynecological scans and other stuff done. I did just mention the 'IBS' to my GP again and like every other doctor, he seems convinced that it's only a minor issue. He seems to think having a colonoscopy could cause more problems - is there any truth in that? I plan to see a dietitian very soon when I have money/time off work. I'll have to see someone private, as the doctor refused to refer me (I'm in the UK with the NHS). I know it sounds stupid, but I've gotten so used to living like this, that it just became normal for me. I spend so much time at the doc for other issues that this started not to seem as much of a big deal as it did when I was 19. It is getting worse and worse now though.

The people who were diagnosed with Crohn's - how long did you have your symptoms? I've had mine for over 8 years and the docs seem to think it would be obvious if it were anything more serious than IBS. Did you have any indication in blood tests that anything else was wrong? Did you ever get blood in your stools? Being honest, I usually am made to feel that I'm worrying about nothing. I've had 'just be glad it's not inflammatory bowel disease' said to be more than once by doctors, so I assumed I was being a bit of a moan. I have a friend with Crohn's and she regularly has dark blood when she goes to the bathroom and unbearable pain when she eats - I don't get that. Could it still be Crohn's?

Will definitely look into seeing a dietitian very soon and nag the doctor to see if I can get a referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

If you are nt already on the road of medication Colpermin peppermint capsules over the counter in the chemist work well for me. Seem to calm the spasms.

Advertisement