Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Bike Stands

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BostonB wrote: »

First will result in broken wheels - but a bigger support would help , issues are the cost of parking / how long you can leave it there
    dyson-Public-Bicycle-2-537x330.jpg

City-Bike-Rack-with-lock-built-in.jpg
    second is still a concept - if you look at the picture it's only locking the front wheel and not the frame , the person who produced that picture has no real world experience of bike theft in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They weren't designed for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Don't go for this design anyway:
    3879289928_362a4abcc5.jpg

Defended (unconvincingly) here:
    http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/09/invisible-bicycle-racks.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Oooh, I get so angry every time I read that guy's blog. Grrr :mad:
    tomasrojo wrote: »

blorg wrote: »
    The know-it-all tone is very hard to take. This post is from a time when I read the blog fairly frequently in an attempt to challenge my preconceptions. I had to give up, for the same reason the Desiderata advises you to avoid loud and aggressive persons: they are vexations to the spirit.

It's a pity, because it does have some interesting details of life in Copenhagen, some of which might be profitably implemented in Dublin. But I'll never know, because I don't read it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting way to address the "two wheels one lock" problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

blorg wrote: »
    The know-it-all tone is very hard to take. This post is from a time when I read the blog fairly frequently in an attempt to challenge my preconceptions. I had to give up, for the same reason the Desiderata advises you to avoid loud and aggressive persons: they are vexations to the spirit.

It's a pity, because it does have some interesting details of life in Copenhagen, some of which might be profitably implemented in Dublin. But I'll never know, because I don't read it anymore.

I don't see what the problem is.

Those are perfect, for Copenhagen. Great design.

But beyond useless for Dublin and many other places. Some things are lost in translation. Compared to Amsterdam and Dublin and most other places, Copenhagen has a fairly low level of bicycle theft. That means their parking solutions do not translation very well.

I'm not sure if they are perfect for Copenhagen. Why are there slots in the ground? Just leave the bikes standing up with kickstands, as is done on streets all over the city.

monument, your comment prompted me to revisit copenhagenize, after many months away, and funnily enough the subject in hand was bike theft. The site's proprietor has had his Bullitt stolen.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/05/my-bike-was-stolen.html

He says:
    There's a lot of bike theft in a mainstream bicycle culture. Such is life.

Oddly enough, I'm sure he said before that there was very little bike theft in Copenhagen. Or maybe that was just in comparison to Amsterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    Interesting way to address the "two wheels one lock" problem.

Interesting but I'd be interested to see the bolt cutter applied to the edge of the bar rather than the face. Would you get enough of a grip or would it tend to slip sideways. The bolt cutter applied to the curve at one end or at the lock barrel on the other would have a better chance...

[edit] somebody commented that the bar would not fit into a bolt cutter edge-on so would slip flat anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

monument, your comment prompted me to revisit copenhagenize, after many months away, and funnily enough the subject in hand was bike theft. The site's proprietor has had his Bullitt stolen.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/05/my-bike-was-stolen.html

He says:

Oddly enough, I'm sure he said before that there was very little bike theft in Copenhagen. Or maybe that was just in comparison to Amsterdam.

I don't know exactly what he has said or not before, but...

Yes, while a lot of bikes are stolen in Copenhagen, percentage wise Amsterdam and other places seems to be way above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

The best cycle stands I have seen in Dublin are at the Superquinn on Sundrive Road.

They look a a bit like Sheffield racks, except a few inches taller and a few inches narrower. They also have an X-shaped criss-cross bracing inside the frame.

The individual racks are placed about a foot apart. The perfect width to get one bike in between each rack (my Pashley Roadster fits no probs). The criss-cross bracing gives you lots of options on where to attach your lock and you could use multiple locks and secure your bike to the rack either side of the bike.

The best bit is that the because the bike fits so snugly it's harder to attack any locks. A thief would have to lean over the fame or bike and get in to an awkward position which would slow them down a bit. Of course bikes on the end racks don't receive this benefit.

I doubt the racks were designed this way deliberately. I think it was a happy accident by designer short on space and wanting a nice looking rack. Still, I think it is the best set of bike racks I've seen so far.

Advertisement