Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Wood electricity issues..

Options
  • 25-04-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Has anyone had issues with their electricity? I've no knowledge of the world of sparks but my head is wrecked with what seems to be a problem with the current going through the sockets. We had a problem a few weeks ago with two touch sensitive lamps dying at the same time in separate rooms and the tv being jumpy for no reason. Also theres a problem with severe lag on the mouse pad on both Macs when plugged in but no such problem when they are plugged out? Bought a new touch sensitive lamp for the young fella's bedroom and no joy today! Tripped the trip switch in an effort to try the old "on/off" trick! Everything worked! And then stopped working :( So we reckon the lamps aren't broken at all but there is a problem with the sockets? Baffling....not to mention annoying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have you got an AC voltmeter to check the voltage at the sockets ? Might be worth knowing if there is a surge etc. at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

We have strange problems with touch lights. We have two in the front bedroom of two be terrace in wood. Sometimes when we turn on a light downstairs it turns the touch lights on, turn off the downstairs light and the next level of brightness comes on on the lamp. Now this is strange as the lamps are plugged in to 3 pin socket and the lights are on a separate ring.
    Also sometimes whe the light is turned on in downstairs hall between front and back room the upstairs smoke alarm beeps.

No such problem as you described though, all other appliances work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Now that you mention it.. In our house, bulbs are always blowing in the sitting room in my lamp. No idea why. Also since getting the UPC box two weeks ago it regularly turns off making me miss crucial bits of Mad Men. This happens when watching Mad Men DVDs through the UPC box. It hasn't happened so far just looking at UPC on the TV. Also I have had to replace fuses a lot in plugs.

Maybe it's just routine though. It's just since you mention Charlesland Wood Electrical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Some energy save lightbulbs transmit the same ir signals as some remote controls, this can sometimes explain strange goings on with sky and upc boxes, specifically a certain brand of philips energy save bulbs. Also some outside interferance can cause same problems. Although not relevent to charlesland but i had visited a certain sky customer many times to try and find out a fault with his sky box swithing off. After a number of replavment boxes we found he mainly had a problem after 530 in the evenings. It turned out every time one of his neighbours xame home from work and opened the Automatic gates or garages his sky box turned itself off.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Both the Mac touchpad and the touch sensitive lights have one thing in common - they work via capacitive sensing. This can be affected by power surges so sounds like that's your issue.

You could either get an electrician to check it out (best option), or see if a surge protector plug adapter helps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could always put a post here

Advertisement