Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

BBQ- gas or charcoal???

• 25-04-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

We bought a caravan a few months ago and have had a few trips.
    Just home from Clonea where friends of ours called down and cooked a bbq for us on Sunday, absolutely loved it.
    My question is should we go for gas or charcoal BBQ.
    We're leaning towards a small table top gas BBQ as we already have the gas and it should seal up nicely for storage.
    All opinions, suggestions comments greatly appreciated ;).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There's pros and cons for each. For taste I'd suggest charcoal, for convenience I'd say gas. For the past 10yrs we've used a Cadac gas BBQ and couldn't find fault with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

From camping I have learned you just can't beat gas. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm sorry but the is only one winner in this case... You can't beat a charcoal BBQ. I have a Webber charcoal BBQ myself here at home. This weekend I used it 3 times alone.
    It does take some time to light fully compared to it's gas counterpart but when it comes down to taste, there is no comparison. I've had a gas BBQ for 10 years, switched to charcoal last year and I will never look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can't beat charcoal all the way. Get a small little kettle bbq for the van, that's what I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Charcoal BBQ all the way, its easier to empty ash than scrape grease ;)

Get yourself a 28 inch Weber kettle and cut the legs short, very portable and easy cooks for a group. Much more fun too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Have a look at www.thebbqdepot.com/olympian4100.html
    I have one of these BBQ's for over 25 years, I have replaced most parts from the BBQ Depot over the years and received a burner only last year from them for it. I had an adopter made to hook up to my gas tank. Can even be put away a minute after use. Have used over the years Charcoal, Colvic Rock, but this one is the best for camping.

No Ashes or Mess - Tested for over 5 years, this new grill truly obsoletes all lava rock type table top gas grills.
    * No more lava rock or lava rock grease fires.
    * Easy-Grip Handle - High impact wood formed for comfortable hand hold. Clicks shut for carrying.
    * Cast Aluminum Case - No-rust casting is strong and sturdy, yet lightweight for easy carrying.
    * Cooking Grid Area - 153 square inches, large enough for a couple of fine T-bones or a really huge sirloin.
    * Combination L/P Connector and Regulator - L/P tank or cylinder (not included) attaches easily. Regulator set for fast, high heat to sear steaks, medium, or low simmering heat to cook chicken, hot dogs or hamburgers.
    * Stainless Steel Burner - Heats up faster, cleans more easily, uses 10% less gas than cast iron burners and resists rust.
    * Patented Smoker Plate - After the gas barbecue grill is preheated for 10 minutes with the top lid closed, the grease drips from the meat onto the smoker place where it vaporizes and turns into flavorful smoke, producing that barbecue flavor in the meat.
    * 12,000 BTU

Designed for RV and outdoor uses, this high quality heavy duty cast aluminum barbecue increases flavor without flare-ups. Patented smoker plate is designed to offer the fullest flavor while minimizing grease fires. Quick and easy to assemble. Uses standard commercial or disposable LP cylinders. 20-1/2" w x 17-1/2" d x 8-1/2" h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

locky76 wrote: »
    My question is should we go for gas or charcoal BBQ.

Is this a trick question? there is only 1 BBQ in the above... the other is a cooker!!

It's charcoal all the way for me.

i really like the look of this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHGDPOa40c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭tonyfillony

Macspower wrote: »
    i like the look of that id say i will be investing in that soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm always wary of those shopping channel things. They usually turn out to be pants...

• Advertisement

Macspower wrote: »

just tried to buy one... can't find anyone to deliver to ireland apart from the USA and then I'm liable for duty..

I ordered it from drinkstuff.com and they looked like they deliver but then got an email today saying that they don't.. If you find anywhere doing it let me know as I want to buy..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the is only one winner in this case... You can't beat a charcoal BBQ. I have a Webber charcoal BBQ myself here at home. This weekend I used it 3 times alone.
    It does take some time to light fully compared to it's gas counterpart but when it comes down to taste, there is no comparison. I've had a gas BBQ for 10 years, switched to charcoal last year and I will never look back.

+1 for the Weber.
    Bought a little half dome one to cook over wood charcoal and it gives the best flavour.
    Also doubles up nicely as a fire pit to torch peat briquettes to keep you warm at night.

Advertisement