Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes

• 25-04-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this ...

I'm looking to get a bike to up my excersise(part of loosing weight, 2stone down sofar) and I'm not sure what to get....

I'm going to be using it on mainly on west cork roads and backroad, but if my fitness gets to a decent level I might be looking at longer trips/entering long cycles.

do I need a 'racer' of a MTB? if it is a MTB i need one with no suspension, a hardtail or full suspension? What brands do people recommend?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a cycling forum where you'd get a better response.

You are going to be using it on the road. I would go for a road bike, mountain bikes typically have larger tyres suited to rough terrain, which is not something you will be encountering. Road all the way imo, if the drop bars aren't your thing, i'd look at a hybrid with flat bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

can a mod move this to the cycling forum?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Just got my first road bike recently, its class compared to my MTB which now feels like a tractor, if u are going to be cycling only on roads get a road bike- no contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

moved from Health & Fitness :)

will the road bike tyres be a little unsteady on pebbly/potholey backroads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

RHJ wrote: »

sorry, deffo no more than €1000

RHJ wrote: »

looks nice, we are chasing our workplace to get the cycle to work scheme introduce....but they'r holding out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Where in west cork are you? Have travelled those roads on both an mtb with slicks and a road bike. If you're planning on doing longer spins a road bike would be better. But if you're doing a mix of both spins and local roads maybe a hybrid might be better. Did the west cork emergency services cycle on my road bike, but the local roads at home are a different ball game. Buckled both the wheels beyond repair on my mtb on local roads at home over the winter...

Where in west cork are you? Have travelled those roads on both an mtb with slicks and a road bike. If you're planning on doing longer spins a road bike would be better. But if you're doing a mix of both spins and local roads maybe a hybrid might be better. Did the west cork emergency services cycle on my road bike, but the local roads at home are a different ball game. Buckled both the wheels beyond repair on my mtb on local roads at home over the winter...

smack bang between clon, bandon and dunmanway

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    smack bang between clon, bandon and dunmanway
    Thats not west cork at all :)
    Road bike should do you fine
    Decent wheels and watch out for the pot holes and you'll be fine.

Thats not west cork at all :)
    Road bike should do you fine
    Decent wheels and watch out for the pot holes and you'll be fine.

Anything west of bandon is 'West Cork';)

Mine and the OH home places are near skib and bantry so this is most likely where the bike will take me, that any some laps of the backroads round my place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Just got giant rapid 3 last week, its closer to a race bike than a mbt but has flat bars.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/rapid.3/4866/38972/

To be honest, a road bike is fine, but on some roads it's a pain. Did the south coast endurance race from Skibbereen last oct and the roads near Tragumna were painful on the road bike, got rattled to pieces on them. A hybrid or roadie with slightly wider tyres would probably be best.

Advertisement