Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's your favourite Star Trek Film?

Options
  • 25-04-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Mine is the wrath of Khan.

Or I should say Khaaaaannnn!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VI, II and VII (even though it was terrible)

stoopid X killing it off, why couldn't we have had a DS9 film :(

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

II and VI are my favourites. A DS9 film could have been great alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

For me, First Contact by a mile but I was a fan of the more modern Trek's rather that TOS

Shivers26 wrote: »
    For me, First Contact by a mile but I was a fan of the more modern Trek's rather that TOS

FC was "rinse, repeat" of awful Borg story.

IT goes something like this:

Borg decide to attack
    despite infinite resources and transwarp they send one ship at slow old warp
    plot twist (time ship this time)
    unlikely solution to beat the borg involving techobable and phasers on random (that the borg still can't adapt to despite meeting them countless times)
    happy ending

(also they neglect to gather the wrecked ship despite the massive tech available in it...:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Star Trek VI, ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Borg decide to attack
    unlikely solution to beat the borg involving techobable and phasers on random (that the borg still can't adapt to despite meeting them countless times)
    happy ending

(also they neglect to gather the wrecked ship despite the massive tech available in it...:rolleyes:)

In general, I like any episode / movie that features the Borg. What I especially liked in this movie was the Zefram Cochran sub-plot.
    I know what you're saying.... its all a bit same old when they do Borg stories but its still my favourite. I found the Borg Queen quite creepy (the skin blowing!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Shivers26 wrote: »
    In general, I like any episode / movie that features the Borg. What I especially liked in this movie was the Zefram Cochran sub-plot.
    I know what you're saying.... its all a bit same old when they do Borg stories but its still my favourite. I found the Borg Queen quite creepy (the skin blowing!)

The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are way out in front. After that, First Contact and the new film are also really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Borg decide to attack
    happy ending

Yeah! Plus, once fearsome hivemind now = bunch of tired old zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Star Trek V, it had an incredibly deep and philosophical plot and William Shatner got to reprise his role of godslayer following his killing of Apollo. Also a space probe screams when it gets blown up by a klingon vessel, that was Shatners executive decision as director and his wisdom shines through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Star Trek V, it had an incredibly deep and philosophical plot and William Shatner got to reprise his role of godslayer following his killing of Apollo. Also a space probe screams when it gets blown up by a klingon vessel, that was Shatners executive decision as director and his wisdom shines through.

:p HILARIOUS!!:D

II, VI and XI. The rest were pap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fnordius

Nicholas Meyer was the only director to truly grok Trek.

Bill Shatner's foray was awful, but not as bad as whoever made the Next Generation movies. May those directors never touch anything dear to my heart ever again.

J. J. Abrams was not bad, but his version of how fast warp is kinda ruined it for me. He admitted in interviews that he was abusing Trek to make a Star Wars homage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

VI for me.
    A proper plot with character actions that you can believe.
    Well acted and good action also.
    Two is only good because Shatner and Montelban's interaction. It basically is a submarine tension movie but has some silly elements (like being able to take control of a star ahip so easily, with a simple code).

Good movies are II, III, IV, VI.

The Next Gen movies really are terrible, once you take off the fan goggles. FC has plot holes that you could move space-dock through but is a good action movie, just like JJ Trek.
    For its flaws Insurrection is probably most true to TNG ethos.

Two is only good because Shatner and Montelban's interaction.

:eek:

the whole Kirk - Spock interaction is also very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

:eek:

the whole Kirk - Spock interaction is also very very good.

True but no different than a lot of TOS. That was to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

II and VI. They're the only movies that actually stand up as decent movies outside of the franchise itself.

I'm fairly sure Star Trek II was the first thing in the franchise I ever saw (a friend had it on VHS and we used to watch it a lot) and whenever someone asks me where to start on watching Trek I don't tell them to go to the beginning of any shows, I just tell them to watch part II and then take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The TNG movies were abominations in my opinion. The actors must take some blame. Frakes directed First Contact, while all actors strayed out of character in the rest of the movies, with the exceptions of LaForge and Worf.

Picard joy-riding in dune buggy and losing his mind when faced with the Borg were both severe cases of him slipping well and truly out of character. Patrick Stewart should have protested. Frakes should have protested against Riker's actions as commanding officer during the Enterprise D's final moments.

Also, the TNG cast with the exception of Worf were not suited to action films. They should have concentrated on some great stories instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

STII is my favourite, closely followed by VI. In some ways Meyer probably "got" Star Trek better than Roddenberry himself. I think there was always a conflict between how Gene envisioned Trek and what Trek actually was. Meyer had the advantage of a fresh perspective.

Of the TNG films, I think First Contact was by far the best. Not a perfect film by any means, but I think they got the balance right in terms of what a TNG film should be. It was by far the most cinematic of the four films and, more importantly, it really challenged the crew. It wasn't just another adventure.

I agree that Picard behaved out of character, but I think that was kinda the point. As a fan of the show I remember being quite excited to see Picard so out of control in the film. But the important thing is he goes back into character in the end. The moment of him quoting from Moby Dick and everything that follows is pure Picard. However, his behaviour in Nemesis was bizarre. He just wasn't the same character. Logan really hadn't a clue how to write him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Picard behaving irrationally towards the borg in FC fitted in perfectly with his story arc involving the borg. That scene where he almost comes to blows with Worf on the bridge and where Beverly stoically proceeds with his orders followed by the meltdown where he breaks the miniature ships ...there's no finer scene in any Trek movie, and it wouldn't have worked as effectively except that the TNG cast are by far the most convincing out of any Trek franchise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

AngryLips wrote: »
    Picard behaving irrationally towards the borg in FC fitted in perfectly with his story arc involving the borg. That scene where he almost comes to blows with Worf on the bridge and where Beverly stoically proceeds with his orders followed by the meltdown where he breaks the miniature ships ...there's no finer scene in any Trek movie, and it wouldn't have worked as effectively except that the TNG cast are by far the most convincing out of any Trek franchise.

Yep I eally liked that he was a tortured soul by his borg experience he it came across as such and even when he takes the tommy gun and goes postal in the holodeck.

OT but no matter else I see Michael Dorn in I never can see him as anything other than Worf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Wrath of Khan is my favourite, action all the way, superb. Would liked to have seen a movie from DS9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Picard had no problem with the Borg in "I Borg" and "Descent". I do think First Contact was the best TNG movie by a great distance, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I love the Wrath of Khan and First Contact (more space battles please :D)
    Also the Undiscovered Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

My personal favourite would be Wrath of Khan and Generations.

Nemesis, however, was a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cybercelesta

1st contact was one of my fav's, because I'm a big Borg fan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I think The Undiscovered Country, although I actually enjoyed Generations despite the plot being rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

They're all rubbish if you ask me except for
    IV...the one with the whales and landing in modern day
    San Francisco.

A gem. :)

Advertisement