Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help...with baking

Options
  • 25-04-2011 10:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, long time baker and long time lurker:o

My strength in cooking was always baking, but recently nothing seems to be working out.
    Made a victoria sandwich cake at the weekend and it was a bit flat, my scones seem to be a bit heavy and my pastry is soggy.
    Not sure what I am doing different?
    I use very fresh eggs, and I have always used tesco flour... on a budget - but have never normally had any problems.
    Only thing I can think of is I'm a bit stressed at the min - exams coming up. Anyone had any problems like this, or can offer any help.
    I really have to get sorted by the weekend, or otherwise I'll have to buy a birthday cake for my 6yr old! and that really goes against the grain:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Well if you're stressed, you could be overbeating the mixtures to vent :)

perhaps your oven isn't hot enough, get a cheap oven thermometer in tescos and pop it in at 200, see if it reads 200. Happened to me a while back.
    Aside from that, make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before you bake, always preheat your oven well, and relax. Try a different recipe maybe, try some basic buns, and reboot your baking! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

+ 1 for the oven temperature - a very likely suspect. Also, if any of your recipes use baking powder or baking soda, check that this is in date.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for the advice, going to get a thermometer & check oven. In the meantime decided not to bake a cake this weekend and make brownies instead, shouldn't be able to wreck them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You could make chocolate biscuit cake too, no oven needed! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Spadina wrote: »
    You could make chocolate biscuit cake too, no oven needed! :)

thats my hubbies favourite, I keep pretending I don't know how to make it, otherwise I'd have to keep making it for him + I really don't need the extra cals at the minute:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement