Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog coming camping

• 25-04-2011 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi,
    Im bringing my dog camping what do i need to bring/buy as he wont be sleeping in the tent and runs wild when he sees open spaces.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

blackwolf wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im bringing my dog camping what do i need to bring/buy as he wont be sleeping in the tent and runs wild when he sees open spaces.
    Thanks.

Where will he sleep then? In your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend getting a good crate for him to sleep in in your tent.

Most campsites have a rule that dogs must be on lead at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 blackwolf

andreac wrote: »
    Where will he sleep then? In your car?
    No I would like him to sleep outside i was thinking of pegging his expandible lead down ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

We just drove a big enough stick into the ground and had her on her leash attached. She was rather content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But your dog needs shelter?:confused: If you are camping in Ireland, the chances are the weather is not going to be great so he will need some sort of shelter.

I wouldnt rely on those at all and i def wouldnt risk leaving a dog outside like that when camping, esp if you say he runs wild in open spaces. Either crate him in your tent, or let him sleep in your car.
    Its not safe to tie a dog with an expanable lead either, you run the risk of the dog choking itself and getting all tangled up.

As Kylith said, most campsites insist on dogs being on leads and under control so your suggestion wouldnt be suitable im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

But your dog needs shelter?:confused: If you are camping in Ireland, the chances are the weather is not going to be great so he will need some sort of shelter.

It was a "make your own shelter night" and we made our shelters from branches and anything else we could find. The stick was driven into the ground close enough to the owner's shelter that the dog slept at his feet. It's hard enough to describe but you get the gist.

I wouldnt rely on those at all and i def wouldnt risk leaving a dog outside like that when camping, esp if you say he runs wild in open spaces. Either crate him in your tent, or let him sleep in your car.
    Its not safe to tie a dog with an expanable lead either, you run the risk of the dog choking itself and getting all tangled up.

As Kylith said, most campsites insist on dogs being on leads and under control so your suggestion wouldnt be suitable im afraid.

Yes I was worried about that but he is not fully house trained yet and i dont want to board him or leave him with a neighbour as they are working all day and cant offer him the attention he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Are you planning on camping on proper campsites, or in places where you wouldn't expect other people around? I think that if you have a dog tied outside your tent at night, in a strange place, with other tents, and noise coming from other people, you may have problems with your dog barking at every noise he hears, keeping you and the other campers awake all night. Not so much of a problem if you're camping away from other people though.

Where does he sleep at night at home? When are you planning on going camping, would you have enough time to get him house or crate trained before you go do you think?

I've been camping with dogs loads of times through the years, with different dogs. Our old dogs used to just sleep in the bedrooms in the tents with us, then we progressed to crates in the tent, now my dogs are so used to travelling in their crates in the van, thats its where they sleep when we're camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Maybe bring another tent for the dog? Or would he destroy it to get out?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Does your tent have a seperate porch/storage area? I used to camp in my garden when i was a teen and my dog slept in the seperate porch area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i wennt camping with my dogs and they slept in te tent with us. you'l get over a little smell because the body heat is unreal. they also let us know if any cows/bulls were outside the tent!!

I would be going to a camping site in about 8 weeks and he sleeps in the kitchen at night he had one of my kids play tents and tore it to pieces he also scratches things alot so I would be afraid him tearing through the bottom of the tent if he was to stay inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

my fella is murder for ripping up beds only when they are outside. if i put a bed near my bed its like he feels honoured to be there so he wont do a thing wrong!! he wont even get up in the morn to go toilet!! he just stays in the same place!! if he's next to you and he does move... a quick hand and tell him lie down. personally i dont think he'l rip up the groundsheet if he's in there with u. but thats my opinion...i dont know your dog so...but dont leave the dog in the tent on his own...you'l come back to no dog or tent!

my fella is murder for ripping up beds only when they are outside. if i put a bed near my bed its like he feels honoured to be there so he wont do a thing wrong!! he wont even get up in the morn to go toilet!! he just stays in the same place!! if he's next to you and he does move... a quick hand and tell him lie down. personally i dont think he'l rip up the groundsheet if he's in there with u. but thats my opinion...i dont know your dog so...but dont leave the dog in the tent on his own...you'l come back to no dog or tent!

I agree I've found a peg on halfords it's like a big corkscrew and it's made for dogs but what could I use that's safe to tie him onto it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah those corkscrew pegs are more secure and great for sitting out with the dog, and keeping him safe. But I really think that if you leave him outside he will tear the tent down trying to get in to you, or hurt himself trying to get off. He will be confused and stressed. Big open space, dark, unfamilliar place, strange noises/ smells etc. It just wont work.
    He will most likely settle down in the tent with you, even my boy, whose endless energy has been a source of stress since he was tiny, settles and sleeps soundly in the tent. A combination of a day out and the thrill of sleeping "on the bed" tires him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I take my dogs camping all the time. I have a tunnel tent with a large porch and the dogs are well contented sleeping in the porch, they know they are not allowed in the inner space and I always keep it unzipped so we all sleep in the same space.
    I also have sleeping mats for them, so they don't have to sleep on the damp grass.
    It really is worth investing in the right tent if you're gonna bring dogs, especially if you're on a campsite, you really-really don't want someone stumbling around in the dark and approaching or tripping over your dog, it could all end in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Just back from camping with my dog this weekend - who slept in the tent all nite without a peep.

2 euro store has those corkscrew pegs. They are fine and next to impossible to rip from the ground.

2 bits of wood, a foam mat, some sheeting and some Ray Mears skills would make a quick outside dog tent to keep the elements off. Don't forget wind chill could cause a dog exposure. They're not as well wrapped as a sheep etc...
    Wild they used to live in packs burrowed in dens and huddled out of the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Last year my husband, little sister, dog and myself went camping with another couple who had a campervan. My sister and I were sleeping in one tent compartment, and husband and dog in the other. Over the course of a day, we were followed by another dog who attached herself to us. Such a sweet little thing, we kept an eye on her to see if she had owners etc. She spent the day with us.

That night my husband and the guy from the other couple went to the local pub and the girls and dogs headed to bed. Kieran never came to collect Harley from our side of the tent as arranged. I woke in the morning, no sign of my husband, and the strange dog asleep in the porch of the tent!

We found the missing husband dozing in the car. :D:D:D Little lady dog had settled herself in our tent and wouldn't let him in. Every time he tried to come in she growled at him, blocked the door and shoved against him.

Dog 1 - Husband 0

(The next day he was swimming and she dived in on top of him knocking him over - she really had it in for him :D) Camping with dogs is the most fun you can have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Haven't been camping in years but any Irish holidays we have taken our girl on we have brought her bed and kept her in the bedroom or in the motorhome with us. She likes to be close to us and particularly if she's somewhere she isn't familiar with.
    If we were in a tent and she was outside there would be no tent left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Thinking of taking our dog camping and iam just looking for some advice on good locations in the wicklow area.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement