Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suspicious

• 25-04-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guy's,I'm curious my wife received a phone call today, from a man with an Indian/pakistani accent, on a withheld phone number, telling her he was from windowsXP Dublin, and that our computer sent a message to them, because our computer has a explicit virus and told her to turn on her computer please,when my wife asked him to put on a manager,as his accent was quite thick,and she couldn't get any anwsers from him he got aggressive,so she told him to ring back in half an hour,we have not sent any error reports or anything of that nature,so,do windows exist in Dublin, and if so do they ring up on bank holidays,with a withheld number,I'm sorry If this isn't the right forum for this question,but I would appreciate any opinions you may have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

It's a scam that's being going on now for well over a year. Tell them you don't have a computer or some other lies. Or just don't answer.

They will get you to give them remote access to your computer to fix the "problem" and install god knows what instead, you'll end having to do a re-install.

Big thread here about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

This type of scam has become quite common and is not just reserved to computer users in Ireland, see the Microsoft statement on this and other scams from scammers claiming to be associated with microsoft at the following link

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

Advertisement