Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus raising prepaid ticket prices AGAIN!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yep they did

Service down price up

Good old Ireland :)
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Are you serious?? :mad: as if its not enough as it is,maybe if they didn't splash out on those stupid 'live' timetables they could keep the prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Are you serious?? :mad: as if its not enough as it is,maybe if they didn't splash out on those stupid 'live' timetables they could keep the prices down.

Actually Dublin Bus aren't splasing out on those stupid useful live timetables, those timetables are being paid for by the council / NTA and for use ,I believe, by anyone running a bus service in the capital.

However I don't believe the hike is justified at a time when the service is being cut to ribbons...they should instead be giving incentives to people to use buses.

Oh right.still some blast of money being pumped into them. There has been some attempt at encouraging using buses,but in order for that to work you have to have a reliable service. No shortage of people on the 46a and its still utter bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Noticed that as we got informed by our employer (who gets our annual tickets for us) last week. My ticket is up in the autumn and I will be switching from bus commute to cycling. DB will lose over a grand a year on me but I don't think they care :rolleyes: At least I won't have to endure Donnybrook driver changes anymore.

• Advertisement

Those changes drive me crazy! The journey takes long enough without them taking a five minute break for themselves.sorry I'm just a ball of anger when it comes to Dublin bus :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Those prices are awkward and don't make sense. Imaging a tourist, Dublin Airport, getting the 1 day rambler for 6.20 now. 6.00 makes sense. Hate all this adding a few cent here and there. Make the fares even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 THISISROBERTO

i have lived in many a city around the world - london, new york, sydney, auckland, and paris. and dublin bus is so ridiculously overpriced and service is poor compared. needs a severe overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

i have lived in many a city around the world - london, new york, sydney, auckland, and paris. and dublin bus is so ridiculously overpriced and service is poor compared. needs a severe overhaul.

Hmmmmm,the overhaul is proceeding apace Roberto,albeit falteringly,however I'd be less certain of the "Overpriced" bit.....

The availability of a Fare Option which allows a passenger to travel,mar shámpla from Kilcoole Co Wicklow to Maynooth Co Kildare for €1.85 (Soon to be €1.90) is not my definition of "Overpriced"

Similarly a generally available (and popular) cash fare of €1.20 is equally a level not seen in may other cities,unless the Cities concerned have a substantial element of Local Taxation to help fund such services......?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

How did you get on with forgetting your ticket in those cities?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056252505

I would have Dublin on a par with Sydney certainly for ticket prices, Paris from recollection was around the same too. Didn't get buses in New York or Auckland but how anyone can call bus fares in Dublin over-priced is really beyond me. There's certainly issues in Dublin Bus but as Aleksmart says you can get miles on the one Travel90 ticket for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Hmmmmm,the overhaul is proceeding apace Roberto,albeit falteringly,however I'd be less certain of the "Overpriced" bit.....

The availability of a Fare Option which allows a passenger to travel,mar shámpla from Kilcoole Co Wicklow to Maynooth Co Kildare for €1.85 (Soon to be €1.90) is not my definition of "Overpriced"

Similarly a generally available (and popular) cash fare of €1.20 is equally a level not seen in may other cities,unless the Cities concerned have a substantial element of Local Taxation to help fund such services......?

Presume there's nothing stopping people from stocking up on their Travel90's before Sunday as they last for a couple of years don't they?

I've a mate over from England this weekend and he's going to get a few packs as he's from here and home quite a bit. The Travel90's see him getting from Lucan to Donnybrook this weekend for €1.85 a trip which is great value, certainly better than he gets in Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

I don't think there is a problem with pricing for Dublin Bus with regards to tickets such as the travel 90 and the single fares, as stated in another thread the monthly tickets and the yearly tickets are overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Presume there's nothing stopping people from stocking up on their Travel90's before Sunday as they last for a couple of years don't they?

I've a mate over from England this weekend and he's going to get a few packs as he's from here and home quite a bit. The Travel90's see him getting from Lucan to Donnybrook this weekend for €1.85 a trip which is great value, certainly better than he gets in Manchester.

Schemingbohemia,just get him to check the small "valid until" date printed on the front of the Travel90.

Whilst Ticket Agents are expected to ensure they keep their stock rotated,this sometimes can slip in a less busy outlet.

The current crop of €18.50 T90's have "valid to" dates into 2013 as far as I can ascertain.

Good to see evidence of preparedness and desire to work the system,fair play to your mate....although I can well understand how he can spot the value in comparison to his home20.... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

How about something like this:

Cash fare of €3. Keep Travel 90 at €18. Introduce Travel 5 (or some other fancy name) at €14. With this latter ticket, you have 10 trips valid for 5 stages with no transfers.

This way cash is penalised, but those who travel short distances are accommodated to a certain extent.

Advertisement