Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrier Maze . . . .

• 25-04-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

. . . . random question of the week :D.

Is there any point in trying to build one? Will it become extremely boring after a few hours making it a complete waste of my time? The idea would be to hide toys and treats in it etc Every doggy should have a supertasic pressie for their first birthday and it'll help me use up a week of my holiday leave. What would I make it from and does such a thing exist already and (not likely but) anyone know where I could find plans of how to build it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have seen this on a dog training programme.

They made it from bales of hay iirc, and had a few tunnels in it as well. If you do it with bales or similar, you could change it around every few weeks, so the dog would never get bored.

Very jealous you have the room to do this! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I think bales of hay seem very sensible, as Whispered says, you could change them around.

Lucky dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I was thinking of something a little more permanent and a little less space hungry :D. She'd just jump over the bales of hay :rolleyes:. I might try something with plastic pipes and storage boxes and go for an oversized hamster maze and I can still change it about, put away for storage etc. It's probably going to cost a bit though unless I can find some pipes big enough that someone has just lying around and has no use for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know if they'd be any cheaper, probably not, but you can get agility tunnels fairly cheap now, and maybe build something around that, or even kid's play tents, a lot of them have tunnels coming off them. I got given a second hand one, the tent is useless, but the dogs have had great fun with the tunnel:D

I want photos please, when you're done, it sounds like such a brilliant idea. When I had our kennel block built, I had the top soil etc put into the big exercise field as a couple of hills for the dogs, I really, really regret not getting some big concrete pipes put in the middle of them, to create big tunnels for the dogs to run through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was thinking of something a little more permanent and a little less space hungry :D. She'd just jump over the bales of hay :rolleyes:. I might try something with plastic pipes and storage boxes and go for an oversized hamster maze and I can still change it about, put away for storage etc. It's probably going to cost a bit though unless I can find some pipes big enough that someone has just lying around and has no use for.

Ah see me and my "what if the worse happens" head would worry about the dog somehow getting trapped if it was a closed pipe :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Can my terrier come visit!!! :D What about using sheets of plywood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah see me and my "what if the worse happens" head would worry about the dog somehow getting trapped if it was a closed pipe :o

I think it would always be under supervision and I'd prob want them big enough that she could turn around in the pipe of have half pipes were the ground is the floor and you could just pick them up if she got stuck which is unlikely anyway as shes a terrible wriggly yolk
    Zapperzy wrote: »
    Can my terrier come visit!!! :D What about using sheets of plywood?

Thought about that too, it might end up very heavy though. Will post pics if it ever materializes (which it might not :o). Don't think it's probably too good a plan to go purchasing materials to build a hair-brained idea so I'll probably be looking in the free ads and waiting for things to fall in my lap :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whatever you make it from PLS POST PICCIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Advertisement