Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Waterford

Options
  • 26-04-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im from Waterford and mainly fish out in Dunmore East, Im not accustomed to any good spots to fish ect so I have a few questions.
    I really dont know what Im supposed to be using when fishing, when I live din dublin all I did was drop the mackral feathers in and I was good.

Im trying to get better at fishing and would love to get any and all available ifo from anybody.
    I researched online and found alot of fish can be around dunmore east, so I then googled what I needed to catch then yet I have still caught nothing.
    Anyone from Waterford with information would be great or anyone at all.

Thanks in advance
    Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

im not far from waterford and fish around dunmore aswell the rag worm which u can either dig up or buy from fishing shop and u will catch flounder and pollock with the first 2hours of the tide coming in thats my 2cents anyway hope its of some help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

well mark sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

Thank you very much Flounder , very informative mail, I will reply tomorrow very sleep with just a few extra questions if thats ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

before i got the gun licence i did alot of fishing in helvic head out the gaeltacht side of waterford.used to love the harbour down there.mostly a mackerel spot..ask some locals when the shoals come in and your gauranteed 30 mackerel per hour on 3 rig mack traces

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

djflawless wrote: »
    before i got the gun licence i did alot of fishing in helvic head out the gaeltacht side of waterford.used to love the harbour down there.mostly a mackerel spot..ask some locals when the shoals come in and your gauranteed 30 mackerel per hour on 3 rig mack traces

The last 2 years haven't been great in Helvick, I've been down there 4 times in last 10 days and although I've enjoyed it, I've only taken home 12 mackerel. Hopefully it will improve in August. I remember taking home over 200 between 4 of us a couple of years ago in one night, we gave them away for free & all our neighbours & friends were fed for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mackerelyum

there is a lovely little spot out off boatstrand no rock if front of you and very safe an hour after tide has gone out has always been the best time for me to catch macks there I have caught pollock out there although the area isnt really known for it.

Another spot I fish is the gillameans just off tramore is a very good spot for pollock small mack strips and lug/rag worms have worked there I prefer the mack strips seem to work best.

Also salleens is great spot for bass the usual baits can dig your baits from there too.

If you want a bit of cod in the winter when it gets real cold head for waterford port out in south kilkenny and you will have some luck using fresh crab.

A few buddies was catching skad and flatties there lately if you want to try it now.

Then you can always try just past mooncoin for a bit of trout and salmon fishing not to knowledgeable on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you're from Waterford take a short trip to Saleens as mentioned above. It's a great spot for Bass, Seat Trout and Mullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

How would you recommend fishing in the saleens? I've been there a few times using lugworm and spinning with no success. Other than my gf catching a crab on her line!
    Is there a 'special' spot in the saleens where its most productive?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fallowbuck

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    The last 2 years haven't been great in Helvick, I've been down there 4 times in last 10 days and although I've enjoyed it, I've only taken home 12 mackerel. Hopefully it will improve in August. I remember taking home over 200 between 4 of us a couple of years ago in one night, we gave them away for free & all our neighbours & friends were fed for a week.

Im from ring area just give you sme info on the pier it hit and miss most of the time as you may no and it can get crowded also i no its easy access and if its just mack your after well its an average enough spot but your best bet is to head to the dogs head on the opposite side of helvick pm me if ya want directions way more productive its a big rock sticking out to sea and into deep water . It can produce bass to the left of it tho very rocky but even better mine head bit if a walk but a number of species can be caught mack, pollack, bass, wrasse, conger..... very good spot summer and autume months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dermo909 wrote: »
    How would you recommend fishing in the saleens? I've been there a few times using lugworm and spinning with no success. Other than my gf catching a crab on her line!
    Is there a 'special' spot in the saleens where its most productive?
    You'll need waders, walk down the beach and out on a spit at the mouth of the estuary, spin or use divers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

fallowbuck wrote: »
    Im from ring area just give you sme info on the pier it hit and miss most of the time as you may no and it can get crowded also i no its easy access and if its just mack your after well its an average enough spot but your best bet is to head to the dogs head on the opposite side of helvick pm me if ya want directions way more productive its a big rock sticking out to sea and into deep water . It can produce bass to the left of it tho very rocky but even better mine head bit if a walk but a number of species can be caught mack, pollack, bass, wrasse, conger..... very good spot summer and autume months.

I was down a few times since & caught little or nothing, I was talking to a lad on the pier last night & he told me how to get to where you mentioned. Before we went home we fished for some dogfish & I caught 6 in half an hour, I threw 5 back & kept one to see what they taste like. After trying it I'll be throwing them back in future as I didn't like it. Is dogs head only suitable when the tide is in or does it matter? I might head down again next week if tide isn't important there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Preilly19824

How do you get down to the water at mine head it's a sheer drop

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

Holy crap talk about a revival, Preilly you do relise this is a 3 year old post? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Preilly19824

Holy crap talk about a revival, Preilly you do relise this is a 3 year old post? lol

Haha yeah worth a shot tho lol

Advertisement