Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Xbox 360 product - what are you opinions?

• 26-04-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to check what do you think about this.

Some very interested features like embded web server, Wifi etc.

I think once its out there it will be copied by Xecuter, Maximus etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

docentore wrote: »
    Just wanted to check what do you think about this.

Some very interested features like embded web server, Wifi etc.

I think once its out there it will be copied by Xecuter, Maximus etc.

WOW!!!

I didn't even think that was possible.

So hows does it work really.

Does it plug into the sata port with a y adapter that the dvd drive plugs into and fakes being a dvd drive so you can then play the games off a USB hard drive.

Can't imagine it how else it connects.

This is actually great news and will be great to see if it actually works.

Ah, Just read the webpage there about how it works.
    x360key consists of 2 parts, a motherboard and a remote.

The motherboard connects to the SATA bus inside the Xbox 360, and sits between the drive and the Xbox 360 motherboard. x360key is a full-fledged computer system running embedded Linux. It is capable of many things such as
    - Emulating the Xbox 360 DVD drive
    - Reading USB hard drives and other USB media with various file systems
    - Updating itself and other hardware from USB media
    - Communicating with the remote and other external USB devices
    - And a lot more! (embedded Web server and Wifi connectivity for exampe)

The remote is a simple yet stylish piece of hardware that features an OLED display and 3 buttons. It connects to the x360key motherboard via a high speed USB2 connection. It also has USB for connecting USB hard drives and other devices. The OLED and buttons are used to control various aspects of x360key. It is also used for browsing attached USB media devices and launching games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The reason for this product's existence might put this into a grey area as regards this forum but here are my initial thoughts:

Firstly, I'm majorly skeptical - I would like to see some proof. The iron fist Microsoft have on their console hasn't loosened recently so I'd love to know how this whole thing is achieved without snagging off something in the dash software/protection systems.

So let's say it's proven to work for current dashboards...There is no guarantee that it won't be locked out in later dashes. At least with flashed drives they're good to work on pretty much any dashboard. I know AP2.5 is a spanner in the works but for all intents and purposes a flashed drive works on any dashboard :P Microsoft has a fairly good handle on their peripheral management - look at their track record: Blocking unofficial memory cards, introducing the USB as a memory device functionality etc etc. How good will this device be without a remote to function?

It will be cloned, just like the PS3 jailbreak USB key. This is a good thing as it drives the price down...

And I'm excited. Not fully convinced on how it works yet but the excitement is building. If it's a full linux OS can it poke/peek NXE memory and opening the world of keys and magical awesomeness that befell the PS3?

The only thing I'm not happy about is the Xbox Live! thing, It's just going to create more butthurt COD fans moaning about the hax0rs wrecking their games. And then there's people who relish the thoughts of that, like those on SevenSins...Argh, my brain bleeds at the thoughts of it

Edit: (great music :P)

Less skeptical - signs point to it being made by the team behind the Wode Jukebox for the Wii. On the downside - it's just an SATA emulator so no exploits :(

I agree!! THE MUSIC IS GREAT!!!

In terms of it working or not. The same argument given for flashing applies here really.

MS tried stopping flashed drives by banning those who flashed there drives. They then decided to take the offence and use ap2.5 to cripple those who would use backed up games, It also flagged your Xbox aswell. This was then solved with new firmware(Ms are again still behind)

Now with the new Dashboard coming out, They can reflash dvd drives at will(Rumor at best i believe)

With the new format discs coming out aswell, We will see even more back and fort. Although I'm not sure how the people behind the firmware for flashing an Xbox will combat that.

This will all come down to how easy this thing is to install(seems easy but damn does it look big in the video) and how much it costs. I doubt its going to be cheap.

I really do like the idea of running back ups from a USB drive instead of dual layers. But to be fair, Dual layers aren't that expensive.

If it does work on Xbox live then its all the more reason to get it. I will however be skeptical until i see it truly in action and in fact install one myself(I have spare Xbox i can sacrifice for the test)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

since its running a mini linux system I can see this being easily detected on xbox live.
    And like the others have said besides the dvd drive flashing microsoft has kept the 360 relativly locked down the king kong hack and the jtag exploit were quickly patched and I can see microsoft releasing some type of update to lock this new product out of the system.
    Time will tell if its worth buying it looks interesting but I think microsoft will have this patched and the people who bought this will have an expensive ornament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

since its running a mini linux system I can see this being easily detected on xbox live.
    And like the others have said besides the dvd drive flashing microsoft has kept the 360 relativly locked down the king kong hack and the jtag exploit were quickly patched and I can see microsoft releasing some type of update to lock this new product out of the system.
    Time will tell if its worth buying it looks interesting but I think microsoft will have this patched and the people who bought this will have an expensive ornament.

I would disagree with the first part. If its running Linux, I mean if it is small pc, it has more power and possibilities to emulate the DVD and cheat any checks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

according to c4eva something better than this will be released around the same time http://c4evaspeaks.com/c4eva-2011-04-27-fw/
    A new hack maybe very unlikely but possible ....:D
    More than likely its going to be the xecuter rip off of the product ....I mean version :P

Advertisement