Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet Another visa question!!!!

Options
  • 26-04-2011 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm hoping someone can shed a bit of light for us, we've (my wife and I), been trawling forums, websites etc for some time now but cant seem to find the answers we are looking for. I know the answers are in front of us but with all the info out there its almost like an information overload and we seem to be just running in circles. We are trying to do the whole process ourselves rather than hire an agent, but if it comes to it we will as a last resort, The costs of using an agency would be far better off in our bank accounts as savings if you get me.

I'll try to keep this as brief and simple as possible because the more I think about it and try to explain, the more confusing it appears.

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge and emigrate to Oz. A million reasons to do it and only a handful not to go, so better to try it now than still talk about it in 10 years and regret never doing it.

My wife fulfills several occupational requirements for the 175 visa so she is not too worried about finding work. She has submitted a skills assessment form too. Our biggest question is, Will both me and our daughter, (2 years old), automatically come in under the 175 if my wife gets granted it?

I unfortunately have no qualifications to speak of, 10 years in the Defence Forces, the last 3 in Military Police.Still serving in the Army. I have an impressive CV but thats about the height of it. Very little of any training or courses i have completed are of any use outside the military.
    In the event of getting Permanent residency I have my eyes set on Queensland Police, where my experience will stand to me I'm sure, but that could be a while away yet anyway!!!!

I have 2 first cousins over there that have been granted residency lately and getting fixed up with a job should be no problem, if that is of any relevance. Also my best friend is an Australian citizen who has moved back over there a few years ago and he said he has no problem setting me up with work either and they have all offered a place for us to stay until we get settled.

My second question is, What other types of visas would suit our circumstances?
    Btw I'll be 30 next year too so that might limit my chances of WHV if I was to go on my own and try to get settled before my wife follows.

Has anyone any experience of moving the whole family over? I'd love to hear how you managed and any tips too.

Many thanks
    BDB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

We are trying to do the whole process ourselves rather than hire an agent, but if it comes to it we will as a last resort, The costs of using an agency would be far better off in our bank accounts as savings if you get me.

agreed

The immi website is geared up for doing a general skills visa yourself, an agent is useful for awkward things like medical issues, criminal records or sponsorship issues.

My wife fulfills several occupational requirements for the 175 visa so she is not too worried about finding work. She has submitted a skills assessment form too. Our biggest question is, Will both me and our daughter, (2 years old), automatically come in under the 175 if my wife gets granted it?

She would be the main applicant and you and the daughter would be secondary applicants, although in the application I think you might need to submit a military discharge certificate. So if you are still in the DF then you might consider getting a discharge sorted out.

I have 2 first cousins over there that have been granted residency lately and getting fixed up with a job should be no problem, if that is of any relevance. Also my best friend is an Australian citizen who has moved back over there a few years ago and he said he has no problem setting me up with work either and they have all offered a place for us to stay until we get settled.
    Yeah if you know someone over here makes a big difference

My second question is, What other types of visas would suit our circumstances?
    Btw I'll be 30 next year too so that might limit my chances of WHV if I was to go on my own and try to get settled before my wife follows.

well WHV is not ideal as you have a family, best of staying with them until the 175 is processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

You said your wife should be able to get a 175 visa, why not try and get a 176 state sponsorship visa instead, it is a lot faster than a 175 visa but its a bit more complicated.

Firstly your wifes job would have to be on the State migration plan in demand list each state has their own occupations in demand list.

Secondly if you wifes jobs was on a list of a state you would then get her qualifactions assessed by the relevent body, if she got a positive responce and filled the other criteria for State sponsorship(each state has different requirements) she could then apply for a 176 visa

here is a example of South Australia SS requirements:
    http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/immigrate_from_overseas/visa_options/gen_skill3/criteria_for_state_spons.jsp

as I said each state is different, and they have a deadline date for application, and only a certain ammount of SS per occupation.

Any questioins just PM me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Thanks guys, Sorry it took so long to get back here to thank you.
    You both kinda cleared up a few things and provided a little reassurance :)

@ Rightyabe: I was looking at QLD 176 sponsored visas and my wife is on the skills list for Queensland :D so that is one option for us.

We have a huge dilemma now though, if it takes, for arguments sake, 12 months to process all the paperwork and i need to submit my military discharge papers, do i have to leave the army asap or do they accept them at a later stage in the application process? I dont want to have to leave the army and not have any stable income for the duration it takes for the visa to come through. Do you know what i mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

How quick can you hand in your ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Zambia wrote: »
    How quick can you hand in your ticket?

Depends on how soon i can get a visa. a couple of weeks max to have it all done and dusted regarding medicals etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement