Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radios?

• 26-04-2011 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Just back from Senny yesterday and while I was there my radio crapped out so if anyone has any good advice on what radio to go for I'd apreciate it. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Plenty of old threads on this question if you take the time to SEARCH. However, in the interest of saving you time you don't really need to look any further than these: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/993707/art/motorola/xtr446-walkie-talkies.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Do you mind me asking what have you been using up untill know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Motarola XTN or XTR sets are pretty bomb proof. Honestly, its a money game, over €50-80 notes, and its going to work, below... its a bit touch and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I have the XTX and had the XTN. The XTN took a Land Rover rolling over it on concrete to eventually kill it. Tough as nails.
    I keep meaning to replace it, but the XTX is still going strong, so it's on the long finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

+1 on the Motorola XTN line. That said, I also have a pair of Motorola T5s, which work perfectly well in any Irish site (apart from MAC, where the woods are a swine to push a signal through) - so the XTN doesn't get used as much as it probably should be. This comes down to having only one headset for the XTN but two or three for the T5s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Nice one, cheers it seems that it's the xtr so for the win. I had been trying to get my motorola talkabout working for ages until johnny two combs explained the differences in American and Irish radio frequencies. So now I'm gonna go grab an xtr446, thanks guys!

Mea Culpa. I meant the XTX, not the XTR. I have no experience with the XTR to speak of. The XTX is a legacy unit, out of production now.
    The XTN is still the flagship PMR unit, but it's radically different (improved and smaller) than the unit I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

I much prefere the XTNi (not sure if it's the same model as XTN), it's so very robust and withstands quite some punishment. For example...sitting on it, dropping and kicking it (fell out of its pouch) etc etc... But I'm not too eager on running it over any time soon. :P
    I find it one of the more simple walkies you can use with only two knobs on the top for volume and frequency. But that could be a problem when it comes to larger sites when there is a substancially more people using radios on similar or same frequency.

The XTNi is the new version of the XTN I mentioned.
    The frequency range is the same as the XTN, XTX and every other PMR; 8 channels with 36 sub-channels. Unless you have more than 288 individual teams at a game who all want their own channel, you're not going to have any trouble.
    If you did, however, the XTNi has scramble/encryption codes too, so only the radios you want can actually hear what you say, even if you're on the same channel (assuming the other person has an XTNi too).

Advertisement