Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I this doable? Going to the UK with a very new baby?

• 26-04-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Probably stupid even suggesting it - our niece is being christened at the end of June this year but we are officially due on the 21st of June (she will be born at least 3 weeks before that), we also have a young son (just over 1 year 3 weeks now), can you even travel with a baby that young?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

cathy - with every one being well it shouldnt be a problem.
    it is doable but should be well planned....
    Are you thinking of flying or going by ferry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I imagine that the ferry would be easier but I am open to suggestion. We still do not know what weight she may be yet (if she is too small travel is out in any case) and she will be born by c-section so thikming out loud plane will be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I can imagine that having two young ones will be a handful but doable all the same, as for the baby being so young, I flew to the UK with my son when he was 10 days old and had no problems, he didn't even notice anything, in fact we were over and back quite often when he was very young and I found it easier than now he's older! :)

One tip i was given was to feed baby during take off and landing as the suckling will stop their ears popping.(I was breast feeding, but I'd imagine bottle would be the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i know im a man but! would you really want to travel after having a c section?(speaking from my wifes experience)i dont think you will be in form for it.
    and theres no amount of stuff a newborn can pick up on a plane so i think the ferry is a better option.
    do you really need to go?i think everyone would understand if you didnt tbh.

just my 2 cents worth.hope you dont mind me giving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

You should really wait until after the baby's 2 week check before finalising any plans. Any underlying medical problems may not have presented themselves before this time.

It will be several weeks after your operation before you will be fully mobile, and lifting things (such as the children, prams, luggage etc) will also be difficult for several weeks more.

Good luck with your trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I was going to sugest ferry too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Ferry would be a better option, but don't forget to factor in driving time after the ferry journey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If you go on the ferry, I'd highly recommend sailing with Stena Line and booking Stena Plus seats. You'll get priority boarding and disembarkation, and the Stena Plus lounge will be nice and quiet. I've experienced in the summer that the ferry can be overrun with school trips and it can be hard to find somewhere to sit, but you'll be guaranteed seating in the Stena Plus lounge. They also provide all the tea and coffee and juices and snacks that you could ever want. The cancellatiion policy is great with Stena Plus too, just in case you do need to cancel at the last minute :)

The rest is up to you! We travelled with Megan when she was 5 months and the journey length the other side was about 6 hours and was fine. We'd never be able to do it now, she would get very grumpy sitting in the car for so long. You might have trouble amusing Shane if the journey is a long one the other side, so just bear that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Probably stupid even suggesting it - our niece is being christened at the end of June this year but we are officially due on the 21st of June (she will be born at least 3 weeks before that), we also have a young son (just over 1 year 3 weeks now), can you even travel with a baby that young?

I recommend StenaLine, they seem to be better than Irish ferries.

We travelled with our six month old a few years ago and we found the Ferry to be great, no cramped conditions, multiple loos, space to walk around with baby in the pram, lots of people admiring baby on the journey too, the only draw back being the longer travel time . . .

And then of course you may or may not have a journey from the port??? we were just going inland for one hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We go regularly with our lad to visit family in the UK. The worst part for us is the drive - depending on the weather, it's 8 hours driving, 4 on the Irish side, 4 over there. As you're in Dublin (I think) at least you'd really only have one long leg of driving. The great thing about it is that you can stop whenever you feel the need to stretch or take a break, and it's not a scary environment for little ones - they know the car and being on the ferry is like being in a big shopping centre or something. If you're on a plane, you're stuck in that cramped seat until they say otherwise - I know it's a short flight but delays happen and it is mighty uncomfortable at the best of times having a baby or a toddler on your lap without having a section wound as well.

I also find the whole getting through security thing at the airport quite stressful with all the folding of buggies and packing of drinks and baby snacks etc (thinking of your boy rather than the more portable new baby). In contrast the ferry journey itself is unproblematic unless you yourself suffer from seasickness. There's plenty of room to stroll about, decent baby-changing facilities, a play area for toddlers, comfy chairs etc. Getting on board is a breeze, you have no luggage restrictions, no standing in a queue, no need for packing everything up into zip-lock bags.

I'd say if everything goes well and there are no major and immediate health issues for any of you, you'll be able to manage it. Take your time though, allow plenty of time for stops along the way and get there at least the day before the wedding. I also recommend Stena, far superior service to either P&O or Irish Ferries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another vote for the ferry. I know someone who had to take the trip to the UK due to a bereavement and they took their newborn (about two weeks old). They were advised to go by ferry and to try to get a small area/table etc. to themselves to reduce the risks of the baby picking up an infection. This was the main reason the doctors recommended avoiding air travel (recirculated air, close confines etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Don't you need to organise identification papers for your new born to be able to travel? This might take a little bit more than two weeks if all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You need to check with your pediatrician. Mine told me not to fly until the baby was 8 weeks old because their immunity is still very weak and lots of germs on the plane.

Also it takes time to sort out ID, passports, birthcerts etc.

Also if you are having a section, [surgery] it was also not recommended to fly for minimum two weeks because of cabin pressure affecting bloods and stitches [sorry cant remember the exact reason].

Best to ask doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just to add that you don't need a passport to travel between the UK and Ireland if you are going by ferry. Airlines require them for security purposes, but ferries don't (Common Travel Agreement between Ireland & UK). Passport or driving licence for you and baby's birth cert is more than enough, and even that isn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Aer lingus also will take a birthcert AFAIK for young children.
    I travelled with my son when he was 8wks old, only me and him tho. In general people where very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I moved to the Isle of Man with 3 week old twins.

Yes, it can be done. I don't recommend it unless you really want to go!

Advertisement