Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDD Recovery Recommendations

• 26-04-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have an external USB HDD that is has gone kaput, it is clicking so I suspect there is something wrong with the actuator. I was wondering if anyone here would recommend a place in Dublin that does HDD recovery, specifically on a no-fix/no-recovery no-fee basis. Any feedback and specifically recommendations from someone whos had a HDD recovered would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a hardware problem - moving

clicking is usually a head crash, the head / electronics can't locate tracks so it goes seeking for them which means you hear the arm moving more than normally :(

you could remove the drive from the enclosure and connect up to a PC and try to copy files off it

or use gddrescue (ie. not dd_rescue) to try to read what you can

if it's SATA you can use the existing sata cables
    if it's IDE you could buy a physical adaptor for a fiver or so

if it's one of those new fangled thingies where the USB is build into the HDD motherboard :(

Advertisement