Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Sneezing Cat

• 26-04-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Since yesterday evening my maine coon cat keeps sneezing roughly every 5 minutes. . Last night I gave her a hot water bottle, she sleeps at the end of my bed. This morning I gave her a bowl of milk mixed with a drop of hot water so it will be semi warm for her - she would normally get water only. Im going to keep her in for the whole day today to make sure she keeps warm as normally she would go outside for a while to play, I havent noticed any other symptoms with it and my other maine coon seems to be fine. I havent noticed a change in her eating so im going to seperate them later just to see excatally how much she eats. Can you please advise if there is anything else I should/should not be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sneezing may not be a respiratory tract infection. Has she got discharge from her eyes or nose, either clear or green or yellow? Is her third eyelid, the nictating membrane that covers a cat's eye - if that's swollen or irritated, or she has discharge from eyes or nose, or a wheeze or cough in her chest, she needs to see the vet.

The other alternatives are an allergy - cats can have allergies to pollen and so on. Another option is an obstruction in the nose causing an irritation.

If she's sneezing a lot, honestly, she's best to see the vet. She might not have a 'cold' per se, so hot water bottles and warm drinks aren't going to do the same for her as it would for you with a cold. You are doing the right thing keeping her in and keeping an eye on her. Meantime familiarise yourself with the local vets, their contact numbers and their out of hours services in case you need them in a hurry because she becomes more obviously poorly very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Tanya1988 wrote: »
    Since yesterday evening my maine coon cat keeps sneezing roughly every 5 minutes. . Last night I gave her a hot water bottle, she sleeps at the end of my bed. This morning I gave her a bowl of milk mixed with a drop of hot water so it will be semi warm for her - she would normally get water only. Im going to keep her in for the whole day today to make sure she keeps warm as normally she would go outside for a while to play, I havent noticed any other symptoms with it and my other maine coon seems to be fine. I havent noticed a change in her eating so im going to seperate them later just to see excatally how much she eats. Can you please advise if there is anything else I should/should not be doing?

yes there is something else you could do: BRING HER TO THE VET

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanya1988

Her eyes etc is perfect, the only thing thats changed is the sneezing, we live a 2 minute walk from the vets so I will give them a call to see what they have to say. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

falabo wrote: »
    yes there is something else you could do: BRING HER TO THE VET

A vets visit with a cat is a very stressful thing for them and might be unnecessary if she is just sneezing with nothing else wrong. There is no need to shout:rolleyes:

I agree no need to shout, I was only asking for advice.. anyhow I've been speaking with my local vet & they advise it may only be an allergy as she has no other symptom's I may still bring her just to be on the safe side though!! Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

My 5 month old Bengal sneezes all the time and always has, he is fine and healthy but seems to be allergic to something - the other cats fur, pollen, dust, not sure what but he is 100% healthy.
    If sneezing is accompanied by general lethargy and runny eyes/nose its time to get to the vets.

Thank you, I can't help but worry about her I got her from a rescue center and she's come along way with people interaction & all, wouldn't like anything to happen her as she's company too for our other maine coon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

A vets visit with a cat is a very stressful thing for them and might be unnecessary if she is just sneezing with nothing else wrong. There is no need to shout:rolleyes:

I just always get amazed at people asking for a diagnosis over the Internet. I would never not bring my dogs to the vet if I had ANY concern. I'd rather pay for the visit, medication or whatever no matter the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

falabo wrote: »
    I just always get amazed at people asking for a diagnosis over the Internet. I would never not bring my dogs to the vet if I had ANY concern. I'd rather pay for the visit, medication or whatever no matter the bill

I get where you are coming from but id always ask first personally if it was something like sneezing. now if the cat was lethargic as well then id be inclined to think the same as you, i suppose there is different scales of worry and different scales of worriers!;)

Its good to get opinions from others but alls sorted shes fine now anyways :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good to hear it. It may be worth pointing put that I would never ignore sneezing in an older cat even without runny eyes or wheezing. Cats can get polyps in their nose and something else very serious to do with a fungal infection (exact details elude me). Any sneezing accompanied by blood MUST be taken seriously.

I do have a four year old tabby who has sneezing fits but his is an allergy - none for ages, then over the course of three weeks he'll have sneezing fits where he sneezes 20 times in a row. Know how he feels - I get hayfever too!

It turned out to be an infection with a tempeture but they gave her a couple of injections and antibiotics so she seems to be alot better if not she has to go in on a drip into the vets for a couple of days but alls looking great :D

Advertisement