Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec preserving and food spoilage

• 26-04-2011 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi
    Im just doing these last few bits in Home Ec and I'm kinda confused.
    Our teacher gives us notes (which sometimes leave chunks out) so I also use my book Lifelines. But I use the syllabus to make sure that I'm getting the right stuff. However for these few bits the information is all over the shop. in my book theres a whole chapter on microbiology like in biology with reproduction and everything. the syllabus says nothing about this. Its all a bit vague as to what exactly you have to learn. Usually theres a heading in the syllabus and bam its right there in my book.
    This sound like I cant actually analyse info or something but I think the problem is that I have too many sources and they're all saying different things.

This is what the syllabus says:

Micro-organisms that cause food
    spoilage and foodborne diseases, to
    include:
    • moulds, yeasts, and three common
    strains of food poisoning bacteria,
    with reference to habitat, sources,
    environmental factors affecting
    growth, high-risk foods, incubation
    period, toxic and infectious food
    poisoning, and symptoms

Like it seems pretty straightforward; mould yeasts and 3 bacteria unde those headings but I only have bacteria under those headings. I triesd to manipulate the info I have and fit them into these heading but not possible with what I've got.
    So what do I need to actually learn like ?

Also for Preservation this is all it says in the syllabus but In my book they have each of the methods under commercial and home. Is this needed?

Principles and methods of food
    preservation, to include:
    • freezing, heat processing,
    dehydration, chemical preservation,
    fermentation, and irradiation
    What are people actually learning for these topics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moon5ine

hey i understand your problem.same thing happend to me in physics.best advice i have is stick to the book.there is a reason your school chose lifelines and its because it contains all relevent info on the course.just go to microbiolagy and study that.it covers all
    moulds
    yeasts
    classification and more.
    BAMMM and the problems gone:)

Advertisement