Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle route Lucan

• 26-04-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good cycle routes in the Lucan area. Im new to the area and not a clue where to go:) looking for maybe 60/70km route with a variation of climbs(not too steep) and flats.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I can do you some maps later but a few that I would do include:

1. Head up the Belgard Road towards Tallaght and then up the hills towards Hellfire Club from there. You can go back shortly after the Hellfire Club down towards Knocklyon and back to Lucan. This should give you about 45km. There is one long-ish climb (and tough if you're not used to climbing or not too good at it)

2. As previous but don't turn off after Hellfire Club, keep on going to Sally Gap. Turn right towards the Blessington Road (N81) and then home from there. There is more climbing involved on this one. This will be about 60km.

3. As previous but turn Left at Sally Gap and go over Luggala and Djouce and back to Enniskerry, Dundrum and back to Lucan. This is about 80km and has even more climbing.

4. If that's too much climbing, you could just stay flat and one circuit I have is to go out the Newcastle road, then to Celbridge, Maynooth, Dunboyne, Blanch, city centre and back to Lucan. This is about 60km. This one is probably the easiest to extend by 5/10km if you wish.

How do any of these sound? If it's for fitness and being in nice places, I'd be more inclined to recommend 1, 2 or 3. No. 4 fits your description, but there's nothing as nice looking and satisfying as being up the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Thanks.....numbers 1 and 4 sound good. if you could post the maps would appreciate it.

thanks again for replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

If you are new to Lucan & a cyclist then you might consider joining the local cycling club - Lucan CRC. We have regular training spins which depart from Stagg Cycles, Main St, Lucan at 9.30am on Saturday and 10am on Sunday mornings. If you want to check us out further visit our website. We are also running the Around the Mountains charity event which may be of interest to you.

Regards,

LCRC_BAX

LCRC_BAX wrote: »
    We are also running the Around the Mountains charity event which may be of interest to you.

That link isn't working for me...

ccull123 wrote: »
    if you could post the maps would appreciate it.

thanks again for replying

Will do - hopefully I'll remember when I get home!

• Advertisement

A little later than promised, but here you go:

Route 1: Lucan - Tallaght - Kilakee Road (past Hellfire Club) - Cruagh Road - Firhouse - Tallaght - Lucan.
    Google Map 1

Route 2: Lucan - Newcastle - Celbridge - Dunboyne - Blanchardstownish - Phoenix Park - Lucan.
    Google Map 2

Advertisement