Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 'improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Happy i found this thread.

Did Wexford half in 1:42 in real windy conditions so have my base now for dublin.

Did do 10k in 44:19 also.

Taking 2 weeks rest and on 1st of June i will start to follow the P&D 55 miles program and see if i can get sub 3:30. Last marathon was 2 years ago at 3:47 but didnt follow a plan. Big ask but you wont know till you try.

Many others looking at the sub 3:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Did Wexford half in 1:42 in real windy conditions so have my base now for dublin.

Did a 3:59 in Dublin last year and a 1:44 in Wexford last Sunday on the back of erratic training. Thinking about sub 3:30.....but thinking isn't training....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

slowsteady wrote: »
    Did a 3:59 in Dublin last year
    I was talking briefly to a guy from Waterford, just after the finish line. I wonder was it you? Tall guy with glasses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Did do 10k in 44:19 also.

Taking 2 weeks rest and on 1st of June i will start to follow the P&D 55 miles program and see if i can get sub 3:30. Last marathon was 2 years ago at 3:47 but didnt follow a plan. Big ask but you wont know till you try.

Best of luck to you, Not think its too big an ask over the year best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

RubyK wrote: »
    I was talking briefly to a guy from Waterford, just after the finish line. I wonder was it you? Tall guy with glasses?

That was me alright - if 5' 9" counts as tall.

Wanted to head for the Donore 5k tomorrow but family commitments dictate otherwise - had a race 4 weeks in a row, suffering withdrawal symthoms already and its still only Fri evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

menoscemo wrote: »
    P.S. to keep endurance up, I am keeping my weekend LSR's much longer than the 10k programmes perscribe and pacing a few marathons. Hopefullt hat will mean a 12 week marathon programme will be sufficient.

How much longer would the lsr's be? If the 10 km plan called for a 6 mile run, would you go for a 8 or 10 mile instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    How much longer would the lsr's be? If the 10 km plan called for a 6 mile run, would you go for a 8 or 10 mile instead?

I would only recommend this for seasoned marathon runners but my LSR's have all been 13+ miles (including a few 26.2 mile pacing gigs). I think Krusty Clown recommends 10-15 miles. The reason being; when you step into most advanced marathon plans you'll be expected to do around 15 miles as your first LSR of the programme.

I wouldn't advise this for any newish marathon runner though. I am just coming off doing an Ultra and Multiple marathons this year. You would have to be used to doing 10-20 mile LSR's regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Tis very quiet in here.
    20 weeks to DM from Monday.
    A bit of reading here if anyone is interested.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056285981

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

20 weeks to go:mad:, I just did Cork and am itching to go again. I'm also going for sub 3:30.

mrslow wrote: »
    20 weeks to go:mad:, I just did Cork and am itching to go again. I'm also going for sub 3:30.
    well for some with their 20 weeks to go , i've just got 15 now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

shels4ever wrote: »
    well for some with their 20 weeks to go , i've just got 15 now :(

Me too... 15 weeks. Berlin?

Marthastew wrote: »
    Yep so I was told today.. :)

Lucky ye!!!

Yep so I was told today.. :)
    Better get cracking then.....
    not sure what time you're hoping for but the thread posted above by WODDLE has some great tips and is very interesting.

:)

Good Luck over the next 15 weeks.

Better get cracking then.....
    not sure what time you're hoping for but the thread posted above by WODDLE has some great tips and is very interesting.

:)

Good Luck over the next 15 weeks.
    I started 30 weeks out so well into my plan at this stage :).

Just have all the hard stuff still to do :

What time are you looking for?

I started 30 weeks out so well into my plan at this stage :).

Just have all the hard stuff still to do :

What time are you looking for?
    My PB is 3.41 so anythng below that would be super, having said that Berlin is so fast .....I'm secretly hoping for 3.30.

As you say, all that's left is the hard stuff to do.
    how about you? If you started 15 weeks ago you must be aiming for sub three?

My PB is 3.41 so anythng below that would be super, having said that Berlin is so fast .....I'm secretly hoping for 3.30.

As you say, all that's left is the hard stuff to do.
    how about you? If you started 15 weeks ago you must be aiming for sub three?
    I wish was just in such bad shape, Havent set a target time yet, will know more in the next 10 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 POC123

Hi,
    I'm running Dingle in 11-ish weeks...did Cork in 3:52 2 weeks ago so thats the level I'm starting from...Any thought on this training plan (mixture of runners world plan and what I have time for....concern is that the miles/week is a little low??):

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

POC123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm running Dingle in 11-ish weeks...did Cork in 3:52 2 weeks ago so thats the level I'm starting from...Any thought on this training plan (mixture of runners world plan and what I have time for....concern is that the miles/week is a little low??):

thanks!

Where is the taper ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Me too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm planning on sticking to P&D 55mile/18week plan starting from yesterday's rest day.
    Any fellow excel nerds out there already have the plan in excel format??
    I have the book but I'd like to personalise the pace and distances by way of excel to make it more specific to my needs.
    I can go create it myself but just hoping someone may have already done the grunt work??

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

i am also doing the P&D 18 week plan. Taking it straight out of the book though ;)

To be honest I started on a 22 week plan to gain some fitness back. Starting from a fresh this time. Build up from 30 - 42 miles, also got the Docklands run completed. I did it in 33.35 - Not Bad! Aiming for a 3.15 in Dublin.

Has everybody else started their training?

potsy11 wrote: »
    i am also doing the P&D 18 week plan. Taking it straight out of the book though ;)

To be honest I started on a 22 week plan to gain some fitness back. Starting from a fresh this time. Build up from 30 - 42 miles, also got the Docklands run completed. I did it in 33.35 - Not Bad! Aiming for a 3.15 in Dublin.

Has everybody else started their training?

I'll be doing the 12 week schedule which served me well for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yeah, 18 weeks today, time to start. I'm in the mood for more shorter distances, tbh, but it's time to STFU and get out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, 18 weeks today, time to start. I'm in the mood for more shorter distances, tbh, but it's time to STFU and get out there...

Yes boss! Been a slow start over the last couple of weeks after a long time out due to illness and travelling... 8.5 miles knocked out already this week, now just to stay consistent.

Haven't decided what plan to follow yet, either Hal's Novice 2 or Inter 1, fitness level isn't up to much more...

Will stick my head in here whenever I can, not on Boards as much any more though.

Here's to marathon number 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

Great idea for a thread!

Third marathon in a row for me.

Previous times:

DCM '09: 03:56 (was aiming for sub 4)
    DCM '10: 03:43 (was aiming for sub 3:45)

I was delighted with these previous times and am looking to take it up a notch this year - secretly hoping for 03:30 but I think it will be a big ask. I did F all running before april of this year - may and june I've been getting in about 15-20 miles a week recovering from injury. (Injury picked up doing Connemarathon Half which was done with little or no training - bad bad idea people!). The legs feel good now so it's all steam ahead. I'm thinking I'll probably following HH Intermediary 1 or 2. I have the P&D book but there's still a bookmark on page 7 :)

Best of luck to everyone's training!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How fast is this? I couldn't find the definition in P&D yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I use Daniels training tables. According to him easy aerobic is 70-75% of MHR, moderate aerobic is 78% of max and hi aerobic is 81% of max. These figures are for me, everyones will be slightly different based on projected race times, age etc.. I'm using rev.3 which can be found here www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good question Ray. Would be interested to know peoples thoughts on this as well. This is not the speed session of the week so wondering how it should be compared to your PMP?

As they are generally over 10 miles as well I think it's important to approach them right. I did think though I saw a paragraph on them in the book. Will check later when I have access.

From memory I think they recommend they should be a steady run but not as slow as an LSR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Slower than PMP but faster than recovery. If your PMP is 8 min/mile, you are talking in the 8.15-8.45 min/mile range. In terms of HR it is about 75-80% Max HR

Advertisement