Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants this bleedin Queen?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

Are ye all listening on 96FM the whole place will be closed, just as I predicted in another thread too BTW, but it's official now.

Anyone got time off coming, arrange to be away for her visit, this is total effin madness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hmmm.

Pros :
    Increased volume of people in town = increased tourism = increased revenue. City Centre business finally getting some sort of a boost. English Market gets a facelift after a long time.

Cons :
    Anti-English people get upset. Some people get inconvenienced for a day.

I think the Pros far outweight the Cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

What exactly will be closed OP? Can't listen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

gbee wrote: »
    Are ye all listening on 96FM the whole place will be closed, just as I predicted in another thread too BTW, but it's official now.

Anyone got time off coming, arrange to be away for her visit, this is total effin madness.
    Q..A enough people to want to close the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

rebelccfc wrote: »
    What exactly will be closed OP? Can't listen in.

There is a bride to be mad as she cannot get her wedding photos taken in Fitzgerald's Park as it will be closed as will her routes in the area and the South Link.

So all the Mardyke the City Centre and the South Link ~

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

so all the shops are gonna be closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So the city centre shut down for the whole day?
    South link closed for the day also?
    What about the south ring and airport road?

Any source for this with exact details?

What day is the visit anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ludo wrote: »
    So the city centre shut down for the whole day?
    South link closed for the day also?
    What about the south ring and airport road?

Any source for this with exact details?

What day is the visit anyway?

20th of may which is a friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I thought she was gonna interfere with my exams but apparently they shan't be thwarted by the monarch. So I couldn't care less about her visit now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i think people need to look at the bigger picture here. it might inconvenience some poeple with roads etc being closed for a day. however, this visit will generate massive publicity for cork which can only be positive. think about all the coverage on sky and bbc. i think it will increase the number of tourists visiting cork this year and next

Hmmm. Some people get inconvenienced for a day.

An inconvenience is closing St Patrick's Street as she drives through and for the ten minutes she'll stay in the Market, like it's not like she'll be shopping for a bargain banana, chicken or fish, and I'm sure she's seen it all before.

We don't need to be perfect little English people ~ we were, we have a "Lord" Mayor, seemingly we're not far removed in spirit.

• Advertisement

garhjw wrote: »
    i think it will increase the number of tourists visiting cork this year and next

Unlikely we'll be covered, Paul Byrne will probably get a five second slot on SKY as an also she went to ...

I don't buy the extra business and tourist thing, lonely planet gave us a great write up and then rubbished us a few issues later [presumably because we did not take out the appropriate amount of advertising]?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Hmmm.

Pros :
    Increased volume of people in town = increased tourism = increased revenue. City Centre business finally getting some sort of a boost. English Market gets a facelift after a long time.

Cons :
    Anti-English people get upset. Some people get inconvenienced for a day.

I think the Pros far outweight the Cons.

Boost????

The place will be wrecked. This is worse that the orange order marching in capital. I can't see this thing going down too well.

No bus service either i'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

No bus service either i'm guessing?

I'd imagine the City Council will be encouraging Park and Ride for people to come to the city centre for the festival they are putting on. That's what they normally do.

The Lord Mayor is hoping schools in Cork will give their pupils a half day on the day of the visit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I've to get to the airport early on that Friday morning. As long as I can get to the airport from the city centre I don't give a crap what she does here

x43r0 wrote: »
    I've to get to the airport early on that Friday morning. As long as I can get to the airport from the city centre I don't give a crap what she does here

I think the airport is just closed in the afternoon to facilitate the departure - they go to Cashel in the morning, Cork in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nobody would give half as much of a crap about all these relatively minor inconveniences if Obama or the Pope or any other such high profile figure came to cork. There's something about the Queen's visit that are making people bat**** crazy. I was driving around east Cork yesterday and saw a load of hand-painted signs on lampposts saying "Queen not welcome in Cork" and all this. It reminded me a bit of those flag waving RIRA numpties on the news over the weekend, although far less extreme of course.

I don't really care about the comings and goings of the old lady myself. What's in the past is in the past. We've never even had such an uproar about British PMs coming to visit, and the office of PM has been responsible for the terrible policy decisions regarding Ireland over the centuries. The monarch is powerless but is just a figurehead for stupid armchair republican hatred. If "the place will be wrecked" then it'll be the result of the actions of scumbags, not the result of the head of state of our closest neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

Boost????

The place will be wrecked. This is worse that the orange order marching in capital. I can't see this thing going down too well.

its very sad to see how grown men/women cant show there maturity to behave like decent human beings and welcome the queen of england. ireland and england have moved along way from the past. we owe most of our prosperity (obviously in a recession it doesnt feel like that) to england.

i for one, as an irishman and a dubliner welcome the queen of england with open arms and wish her the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

evilivor wrote: »
    I think the airport is just closed in the afternoon to facilitate the departure - they go to Cashel in the morning, Cork in the afternoon.

why?
    shes flying directly to baldonnell airfield, 17th to 19th.

i for one, as an irishman and a dubliner welcome the queen of england with open arms and wish her the best.

I think you'll find that is against Buckingham Palaces's protocols. You offer your hand only if she offers hers, you shake gently, and bow slightly, ladies curtsy. I think a simply "Gooday Ma'm" is all that's required and you don't offer the Queen anything, unless you are her host.

One would expect someone to know these things, jeees. Eye's up to heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think you'll find that is against Buckingham Palaces's protocols. You offer your hand only if she offers hers, you shake gently, and bow slightly, ladies curtsy. I think a simply "Gooday Ma'm" is all that's required and you don't offer the Queen anything, unless you are her host.

According to a letter in the Irish Times last week, only British subjects are expected to do those things, not us.

why?
    shes flying directly to baldonnell airfield, 17th to 19th.

She's in Cork on the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Subjects of the crown are required to bow. We don't have to so a simple "How's it going girl, watcha tink of the Cark?!" should suffice. :pac:

its very sad to see how grown men/women cant show there maturity to behave like decent human beings and welcome the queen of england. ireland and england have moved along way from the past. we owe most of our prosperity (obviously in a recession it doesnt feel like that) to england.

Behaving like decent human beings is not within some peoples comprehensions unfortunately.

What exactly are you welcoming?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

It's sad to see grown men/women so immature that they criticise anyone who dares not welcome Liz Windsor with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

One small correction: One greets her majesty with "Your Majesty" at first and then one is required to say simply "M'am" thereafter.
    I hope you can remember that on the day and nervousness doesn't cause you to muddle it up. Which would be simply frightful!

Welcome queen Liz. The people of the UK have been welcoming to the Irish for many years - and solving some of our social problems. I don't think it too much to ask that we can be civil in welcoming their monarch.
    Getting on with your neighbours is worth a little effort - and traffic inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

flash1080 wrote: »
    It's sad to see grown men/women so immature that they criticise anyone who dares not welcome Liz Windsor with open arms.

I won't criticise anyone who doesn't welcome her - but I will criticise idiots who actively cause trouble just because she is coming to visit. I don't see why the place should be wrecked as some think will happen, or why gardai or army people just doing their jobs will be jeered and abused. If you're not happy shes coming, then be an adult and just ignore it - she'll be gone again soon enough.

One small correction: One greets her majesty with "Your Majesty" .

Silly me, one should know, shouldn't one.

Many thanks for pointing that out. :)

I'm not particularly bothered by the queen coming to visit, I am however, rather apprehensive that there'll be trouble. There's plenty of scumbags just looking for an excuse to cause mayhem.

Look at what happened in Dublin for the Love Ulster parade, I imagine we may get some similar "recreational rioting" here (and in Dub too).

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    Subjects of the crown are required to bow. We don't have to so a simple "How's it going girl, watcha tink of the Cark?!" should suffice. :pac:

Do we have an Irish version of mr bean lol

Advertisement