Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants this bleedin Queen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm not particularly bothered by the queen coming "recreational rioting" here

Riots? You might have a point, I don't actually think feelings are very strong on the subject, mostly people don't seem to care and this thread started because the visit actually interferes with a wedding that would have been planned years before anyone thought of asking the Queen to drop in, like seein' as yer in the country anyway for something else.

So one bride to be is forced to care and has to make effectively last minute changes to her day [now these changes can be made and the day may even be all the better for it too but ..].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Corkblowin wrote: »
    I won't criticise anyone who doesn't welcome her - but I will criticise idiots who actively cause trouble just because she is coming to visit. I don't see why the place should be wrecked as some think will happen, or why gardai or army people just doing their jobs will be jeered and abused. If you're not happy shes coming, then be an adult and just ignore it - she'll be gone again soon enough.

Signs and peaceful protests aren't trouble so everything should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...i for one, as an irishman and a dubliner welcome the queen of england with open arms and wish her the best...
    gbee wrote: »
    ...You offer your hand only if she offers hers, you shake gently, and bow slightly, ladies curtsy. I think a simply "Gooday Ma'm" is all that's required...
    cornbb wrote: »
    According to a letter in the Irish Times last week, only British subjects are expected to do those things, not us.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    Subjects of the crown are required to bow. We don't have to so a simple "How's it going girl, watcha tink of the Cark?!" should suffice. :pac:

You could do a Ronan O'Gara on it if ya wanted.

frontpageimage.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think the Queen's visit can only be a good thing for Cork City. It might be inconvenient for some but it's just a day. Her visit to Ireland is an important step forward in Anglo-Irish relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

flash1080 wrote: »
    It's sad to see grown men/women so immature that they criticise anyone who dares not welcome Liz Windsor with open arms.

im not criticizing anyone who does not welcome the queen but i am saying straight out that the thugs and scumbags who will protest and attempt to cause general unrest will give ireland a very bad name(the media eyes of the world will be on us). im saying they should act there age and be mature about the head of state of our closest neighbour coming to Ireland, it is totally unacceptable to disrespect the head of a state.

the queen of england was shown the height of respect and courtesy by the germans when she visited there, there was no riots or mass protests. and dont forget that in her lifetime hundreds of thousands of innocent german men, women and children were killed during the battle of berlin from sustained bombings of raf pilots directed to bomb civilian areas and dont forget her father was also the commander in chief of the nations military at the time.

i suppose that mature approach to the past is why Germany is leading Europe in growth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The queens visit will be a good thing it nothing bad happens. If something bad happens then it would have been better off if she had never come in the first place.
    Personally I've no problem with her coming over, but I think it could be a bad idea á la let the orange fellas march down the middle of o'connell street.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The queens visit will be a good thing it nothing bad happens. If something bad happens then it would have been better off if she had never come in the first place.
    Personally I've no problem with her coming over, but I think it could be a bad idea á la let the orange fellas march down the middle of o'connell street.

Queen Elizabeth is to visit Ireland at the invitation of the Irish president Mary Mcaleese

That daft woman... cost us €25,000,000 in the times we need it the most.
    Inviting a woman that most do not want to see or really give a hoot about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Queen Elizabeth is to visit Ireland at the invitation of the Irish president Mary Mcaleese

While all the above may well be true...we also gotta be nice to our neighbours who are helping dig us out of this hole we are in. They are our biggest market for our export goods and they are chipping in with a loan of a few billions (at a time when they are drastically cutting back also and need it themselves...and yes, I know they are only doing it to save their own banks if we default).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Confused who are you calling a daft woman - Queen Elizabeth or the President?

Also, where on earth are you getting the 25 million euro figure from?

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    Confused who are you calling a daft woman - Queen Elizabeth or the President?

Also, where on earth are you getting the 25 million euro figure from?

Apparantly thats the bill for her board / security / etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrsbrightside

I think it's a good things shes coming, I not at all interested in the Royals or supporting them or anything, but it shows we as a country are moving on from all the negative things in the past bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

That's for the Obama visit and the Royal Visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

evilivor wrote: »
    That's for the Obama visit and the Royal Visit.

And the Dalai Lama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seriously..!!Who gives a rats ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

jank wrote: »
    Seriously..!!Who gives a rats ass!

People are trying to have a conversation on the pro's and con's of the Queen visiting, and you reply with this?? Well I honestly dont know where I would be without you, I didnt know if I was supposed to care or not, but now that you said no one gives a rat ass, Im glad you were there to speak for all of us.

Childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Ronan O Gara was a bit ignorant in that photo, by keeping his hands in his pockets he showed contempt. That was his choice but it didn't look good and the look on his team-mates faces said it all.

I don't have a problem with her visit. I don't agree with the OP's bias.

The country is at peace for quite some time now so the time is right for visit from a foreign dignitary, albeit from our nearest neighbour.

Maybe she will invite Ireland to become part of the Commonwealth, if she did that she would be helping this country enormously now that we have brought it to it's knees thanks to so-called "experts" who tipped Ireland over the edge.

It's time for some good news stories and the Queen and Obama visits are just the tonic we need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

What I find quite odd is the ones who are so against anything English yet they don't mind shopping in London, going away to manchester to watch their favourite team play.. eat uk food...etc.

I really do not understand this moronic attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    You could do a Ronan O'Gara on it if ya wanted.

frontpageimage.jpg

Thank you Ronan for delivering this image -the look on Brian O'Driscoll's face is absolutely classic.

I believe however that the photo was taken out of skew and have read that this was actually in the informal chatter stage, and that either before or after the photo above he presented himself a little differently:

0805_ronan3_pa_318824t.jpg

Back to Cork - is there anything official confirmed yet on what will be closed and not closed?

Personally, regardless of my views on Hereditary Rule and Monarchies in general, I think anything which has a chance to increase trade and revenue for a day or two is worth a shot. I guess the majority of people are indifferent to her comings and goings. My English wife certainly has no interest in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Tbh I wont be taking a day off work for the Queens visit but England has for years and is now so more important a place where unfortunately our unemployed have had to seek work and have been accepted. In my family alone I have had 2 uncles and 2 aunts who are now deceased had a great living in England and were totally accepted there. Its amazing how times repeat themselves... my daughter now lives and works in England and has been totally accepted and integrated with her English friends ,housemates and work colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Not a Rugger bugger but Ronan O' Gara you are my new hero - legend!

As asked already, does anyone have a link for the road closures? There's nothing on the City Council website. I'll be joining in with the rioting if Lizzy Windsor and the gang make it impossible for me to make it into Cork and UCC on the 20th!.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

its the total security bill for the queens visit, obama's visit, dalai lama and the uefa cup final, its how much has been put aside, not really that much on the grand scale of things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If it was 25million alone for the queens visit I'd be very concerned....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Big Tone wrote: »
    Ronan O Gara was a bit ignorant in that photo, by keeping his hands in his pockets he showed contempt. That was his choice but it didn't look good and the look on his team-mates faces said it all.

I don't have a problem with her visit. I don't agree with the OP's bias.

The country is at peace for quite some time now so the time is right for visit from a foreign dignitary, albeit from our nearest neighbour.
    Maybe she will invite Ireland to become part of the Commonwealth, if she did that she would be helping this country enormously now that we have brought it to it's knees thanks to so-called "experts" who tipped Ireland over the edge.
    It's time for some good news stories and the Queen and Obama visits are just the tonic we need right now.

Couple of things with this post - Firstly, Ireland has not been at war and we have been entertaining foreign dignitary visits since our foundation, this is not a new occurance, what is new is that it is the Queen.

Second, Ireland left the Commonwealth in 1948 - why the hell would we be invited to join again, why would we want to? Apart from the free trade argument.

I have no problems with the Queen coming, I just hope people are grown ups about it, well behaved protesting is fine - not the over the top protesting like we experienced at the love Ulster march in 2006.

I won't be waiting behind a barrier to see her, that said I would not be waiting behind a barrier for Obama either. Its a good thing that she is coming, might show us in a good light and could increase tourism from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I for one think it's time to move on. Time heals old wounds hence half the nations of the world who were at war can sit around the table together now -unfortunately the other half are still at war. And what is it achieving?

I was one of hundreds of thousands of Irish who were happy to live and work in London in the 80's/90's. I had a wonderful life, made fantastic life long friends and paid my taxes. I will always be very grateful that I only had to fly an hour away - and not the other side of the world.

When I first went to the UK in the end of the 80's - some younger Londoners I worked with thought I was "very brave" - because I went back and forth to Ireland, with all the bombings - I used to laugh and say they hadn't a clue - and explain what Ireland was really about. The United Kingdom is our nearest neighbour - I think their Head of State visiting is fantastic. I hope all goes well - because I hope it will entice more UK companies to think about setting up in Ireland - and we could do with that kind of positive thinking.

Also there is a population of approx 63,000 million people living in Great Britain - yet we only have 3 million tourists from there. Why don't the other 60 million come to Ireland and spend all their money here?

So let's be proud of what our grand parents fought for - but let them be equally proud of the modern Ireland they helped to shape and we now live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Time to move on indeed.

How ever much it costs, a large amount of that money will be kept in the country! It wont be bailing out any banks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Personally it doesnt bother me.

But I do think its a very risky move.
    The possible cons really outweigh the possible pros for me here.
    If anything nasty was to even be attempted you can bet Obama would be reconsidering his trip also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

castie wrote: »
    Personally it doesnt bother me.

But I do think its a very risky move.
    The possible cons really outweigh the possible pros for me here.
    If anything nasty was to even be attempted you can bet Obama would be reconsidering his trip also

I predict her visit will go on without a hitch.

This lot are nothing more than words over actions, talk big, like to hurt innocent people, but they wouldn't dare go near the Queen or they'll be caught and destroyed so fast they won't have time to blink.

This bunch of lunatics must be delirious if they really think they can take on MI:6 and get away safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Hope everyone enjoyed watching the big wedding this morning...great stuff :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Does this mean that we can catch a glimse of the queen when she's here? I'd like to see her.

Advertisement