Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants this bleedin Queen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

All I know is that she looks amazing in yellow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ludo wrote: »
    Hope everyone enjoyed watching the big wedding this morning...great stuff :cool:

You know, I found myself watching it. About an hour's worth, which is more than I'd have thought I would have, but there ye go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Queen Elizabeth is to visit Ireland at the invitation of the Irish president Mary Mcaleese

That daft woman... cost us €25,000,000 in the times we need it the most.
    Inviting a woman that most do not want to see or really give a hoot about.
    Speak for yourself. I'm delighted she's coming, it can only add to the ever improving relations between Ireland and Britain.

I wish all this anti-British sentiment would stop. Its sad and embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

CHealy wrote: »
    People are trying to have a conversation on the pro's and con's of the Queen visiting, and you reply with this?? Well I honestly dont know where I would be without you, I didnt know if I was supposed to care or not, but now that you said no one gives a rat ass, Im glad you were there to speak for all of us.

Childish.

As I said who cares..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Not a Rugger bugger but Ronan O' Gara you are my new hero - legend!

As asked already, does anyone have a link for the road closures? There's nothing on the City Council website. I'll be joining in with the rioting if Lizzy Windsor and the gang make it impossible for me to make it into Cork and UCC on the 20th!.

From what I have heard it will be all the roads she is travelling on and more or less the whole of the city centre. So thats the airport to town, all areas around the market, and UCC. So realistically if you have something to do in town that day, you won't get to do it! I wonder will taxi drivers, and shops in town be reimbursed for loss of earnings on one of the busiest shopping days? Could she not have come on a Saturday or Sunday??

I don't care if she comes to Ireland or not. But I would hate if she was harmed. And if the threats that are being made up North come true, I fear for what will happen then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

will she be travelling in one of those state cars that was at the wedding...or will we have to provide her with something stereotypical like a Land Rover or Range Rover.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The flags of Ireland and the UK looked well together over City Hall yesterday.

0a335745.jpg

We've had this issue previously, when John Majors was being given the freedom of the City, the officials had to BUY new Union Jacks as they had none, now I suppose there are only TOO eager to show we are loyal little subjects [still].

In our history Cork was specifically targeted because we were seen as a British City ~ we had a Stock Exchange, one of the busies ports, biggest exports, lavish profits and for a city of our size donated more than generously to the crown. We have been rewarded a few times for our loyalty and support, the very title "Lord Mayor" and "Admiral of the Fleet" and "Master of Harbour" are all from the Crown making [in their day] the Lord Mayor of Cork one of the most wealthy and powerful men in the UK ~ he could command the navy fleet in Hawlbowline for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

"We're loyal little subjects"?

I'm actually relieved to see most of the contributions on this thread are positive and welcoming, and only a few are backward. Ireland's economy, tourism and wellbeing is dependent on good relationships with all countries, Britain included.

We had direct shipping links with Bristol, hence a lot of our history is indeed connected with the UK. It's great that we have titles like Lord Mayor, it's our history, and doing away with it would be stupid. The biggest mistakes made down through the ages were the purging of the records of history incoming and established cultures didn't like. Can you imagine if the Library of Alexandria wasn't burned and sacked? Or if the Romans hadn't persecuted the Christians - how much early documentation would have survived? That's no different now than asking people to forget the last few hundred years that's shaped us into what we are.

Sure there's been bad times, and yes, a lot of that was caused by our neighbours, but we need to move on. If we still lay the blame at the shores of Britain, we should by rights go complaining to the Scandanavian countrys about the Vikings too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Has it been confirmed by anyone that the whole city centre will be shutdown?

• Advertisement

Has it been confirmed by anyone that the whole city centre will be shutdown?

Lord Mayor on radio this am said that for security reasons we won't be told until closer to the event.

BUT he wants us all out lining the street and to have a carnival atmosphere and they are planning a festival with bunting, bands, ice cream ~ oh! all subject to security clearance of course.

I personally don't mind the Queen coming, it's the over the top fuss and expense that has me goaded.

PS, she'll be here for like 2 hours! Two hours in total like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just saw this on twitter:
    All roads to Cork Airport restricted from 13:00-17:00 on May 20th, access & egress to the Terminal & Business Park will be refused

Anyone got any more info than that...or an decent source rather than twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I wouldnt mind any of this if she could just visit like any other normal person would when they visit a country. ie none of the security and the pomp and getting ordinary people to move out the way and closing the roads to make room for her.

I suppose we can expect a higher than normal level of authoritarianism in cork until the person i dont like is gone. protesters being harassed by the guards and ordinary people being hassled in the name of security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

Increased security I can take but the frantic clean up, grass cuttting etc on the route in to town from the airport is frankly laughable.
    Today I see that they have laid new turf/sods around the entrance to the dump (sorry civic amenity site).
    Is this on the off chance that the lights turn red, cavalcade halts (which it probably won't), ma'am happens to be sitting on right hand side of vehicle, glances out window, sees lovely grass and says . . . . "What time is it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

dodger50 wrote: »
    dump (sorry civic amenity site).

Damn new PC terms to call things.

When I first read that on the website I was expecting it to be near a playground, sport field, tennis courts, maybe a swimming pool and a skateboarding area

then I got there and it really was just a dump. and a little 1MW power station that burns the methane that comes off it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Info on traffic restrictions being posted here as it becomes available:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056265453

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Guys this has gone fine so far. Dont drop to the level of making it otherwise.

the measures are even more extreme than expected, I don't think anyone will be invited back in a hurry, it's causing a lot of resentment on the ground amongst the ordinary Cork citizens that I meet.

Initially no one seemed to give a hoot, now I'm getting resentment at the unannounced disruptions and road closures and as we've seen it's not just for the day she's arriving.

In the Dublin thread on this subject they've even more to contend with. I say again, Madness.

On a point of history, the last Lord Mayor to raise the Union Jack over City Hall was not re-elected.

And I also predict massive flooding as those drains they are sealing up will slow to wash water and clog up with leaves and other debris.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

gbee wrote: »
    the measures are even more extreme than expected, I don't think anyone will be invited back in a hurry, it's causing a lot of resentment on the ground amongst the ordinary Cork citizens that I meet.

Initially no one seemed to give a hoot, now I'm getting resentment at the unannounced disruptions and road closures and as we've seen it's not just for the day she's arriving.

In the Dublin thread on this subject they've even more to contend with. I say again, Madness.

On a point of history, the last Lord Mayor to raise the Union Jack over City Hall was not re-elected.

And I also predict massive flooding as those drains they are sealing up will slow to wash water and clog up with leaves and other debris.
    Are they seriously going to raise a Union Jack over City Hall?

Are they going to make any announcement over exactly what restrictions and road closures they're putting in place are do we have to wait and find out on the day? It's a ****ing joke. Any information is coming out in drips and drabs. The Mercy Hospital will only be accessible on foot and you'll apparently need photo ID too. It's going to be a disaster for businesses/workers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads, I'm sorry but I am totally incensed by all this! It's a f**king disgrace (and i don't curse very often!). Just heard on the radio this morning that outpatients at the MUH can't get there by car on the day - they have to go on foot!! And bring photo ID with them!! In their own city!!!!

The money being spent on this is unbelievable, yet we don't have the money to provide a decent health service etc.! The country is nearly bankrupt and what do we do? Roll out the red carpet for the bloody Queen of England!:mad:

Sorry I'm just so annoyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

T'would be cool though if someone got a soundbite of her saying "langer"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

leahyl wrote: »
    Lads, I'm sorry but I am totally incensed by all this! It's a f**king disgrace (and i don't curse very often!). Just heard on the radio this morning that outpatients at the MUH can't get there by car on the day - they have to go on foot!! And bring photo ID with them!! In their own city!!!!

The money being spent on this is unbelievable, yet we don't have the money to provide a decent health service etc.! The country is nearly bankrupt and what do we do? Roll out the red carpet for the bloody Queen of England!:mad:

Sorry I'm just so annoyed!
    A friend of mine is sitting exams on the other side of the city that morning along with 500 other students which is going to be a cause of a lot of unnecessary trouble for those kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Show Time wrote: »
    A friend of mine is sitting exams on the other side of the city that morning along with 500 other students which is going to be a cause of a lot of unnecessary trouble for those kids.

UCC, and in Neptune?

I don't think my sister has any on the day Queenie is visiting, but she has one either side. Could be problems, especially as they're only announcing the full details the day before.

UCC will have to have their act sorted out. (And any other colleges doing vital exams.)

flash1080 wrote: »
    Are they seriously going to raise a Union Jack over City Hall?l.

Yes, and they have done it already. Listen in to Neil Prenders now if you can. There will be Union Jacks and Red White and Blue Bunting steaming from St.Patrick Street buildings too.

It's a total joke. 95FM researcher was disappointed with the national coverage of the Queen's visit were Cork was hardly mentioned at all, and that is the way it will stay too.

The viewing figures being quoted for the two hour Cork visit is bizzarre. If you listen in you'll need a strong stomach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Buceph wrote: »
    UCC, and in Neptune?

I don't think my sister has any on the day Queenie is visiting, but she has one either side. Could be problems, especially as they're only announcing the full details the day before.

UCC will have to have their act sorted out. (And any other colleges doing vital exams.)
    Not sure where on the north side of the city she is sitting it but spot on with the college.

Show Time wrote: »

Ya i work in UCC so whatever about getting into work - I def won't be able to get home cos I have to go through town:mad: This pales in comparison though to people sitting exams or going to the hospital etc. I just cannot believe this is happening. And now just after reading here that they are putting up Union Jack flag and bunting around the city - give me a break!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Buceph wrote: »
    UCC, and in Neptune?

I have my last exam on the Friday on campus. It's a brutal one as well; her visit better not mess things up too much!

Faith wrote: »
    I have my last exam on the Friday on campus. It's a brutal one as well; her visit better not mess things up too much!

Good luck getting there Faith - I hope you have no problems:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They should get Harry and William to visit instead :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I was ok in general with the visit but the whole thing of having to have photo identification to visit the hospital and the fact that they have to go on foot it getting my blood boiled. Seriously there are loads of old people out there that have probably never even left this country and would probably have no form of photo I.D . Are these people supposed to miss appointments that thay may have been waiting for, for weeks or months? Judging by the area they are closing down it means a hefty walk as well for any elderly people that are going to try and make it in. I have an exam in neptune that day so it'll be just a small inconvenience but there's quite a few others for whom this will be a royal pain in the arse(excuse the pun and all).

Advertisement